• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GWHST107

If not too off topic, does anyone know which 143 had its windows smashed at Dawlish about a week ago and whether it is likely to return to traffic before the pacers are scrapped?

Dan15812

It seems a bit odd to refurbish 166205 and leave the others with the old FGW interior!
Why can't the rest of the turbo fleet share the same GWR interior?

Especially as they now run on the Cardiff - Portsmouth route!!

GWHST107

Should the rest of the turbo fleet receive the GWR interior upgrade, is it known whether the first class cabin in the rest of the 166s would be in the style of the vehicle 58105 or 58126 (driving cabs A and C of 166205).

jimm

Established Member
It seems a bit odd to refurbish 166205 and leave the others with the old FGW interior!
Why can't the rest of the turbo fleet share the same GWR interior?

Especially as they now run on the Cardiff - Portsmouth route!!

166205 was given a coat of green paint and new seat covers for the launch event for the new GWR livery in 2015 - it was hardly a refurbishment, up-grade or anything else. Hopefully the new direct award will include a programme of work on the interiors of the Turbo fleet at long last.

fgwrich

Established Member
166205 was given a coat of green paint and new seat covers for the launch event for the new GWR livery in 2015 - it was hardly a refurbishment, up-grade or anything else. Hopefully the new direct award will include a programme of work on the interiors of the Turbo fleet at long last.

166205 Did receive more work than just a change of seat covers and coat of paint, as the interior did receive a coat of grey, grey, and brown paint as well as the then new GWR Green Carpet. Maybe more akin to a light refurbishment, but more than just a change of seat covers.

Thankfully GWR did not stick to some of the features it chose for the launch event, as proven by the frankly disgusting seat covers in the former LA16 Launch Set and 166205, which were changed from a flat cloth to a rougher material (not quite moquette) similar to that used by Southern.

northernbelle

166205 Did receive more work than just a change of seat covers and coat of paint, as the interior did receive a coat of grey, grey, and brown paint as well as the then new GWR Green Carpet. Maybe more akin to a light refurbishment, but more than just a change of seat covers.

Thankfully GWR did not stick to some of the features it chose for the launch event, as proven by the frankly disgusting seat covers in the former LA16 Launch Set and 166205, which were changed from a flat cloth to a rougher material (not quite moquette) similar to that used by Southern.
The material is moquette - loop pile rather than the cut pile of the previous blue material.

jimm

Established Member

Ooh, a coat of paint on the panelling as well - that was what GWR would call a refresh at best.

It was not the sort of thorough refurbishment and reworking of the interiors that has been desperately needed on the Turbos for a long time and which pretty much everyone except the DfT thinks is needed.

fgwrich

Established Member
Ooh, a coat of paint on the panelling as well - that was what GWR would call a refresh at best.

It was not the sort of thorough refurbishment and reworking of the interiors that has been desperately needed on the Turbos for a long time and which pretty much everyone except the DfT thinks is needed.

Thank you for your morning sarcasm, but as I'm not in charge of the appalling state of the 166s, perhaps you should be aiming it at GWR. Of course it wasn't what is needed for those units, but as it was done for the franchise launch when the Turbo's were likely to be kept in the Thames Valley, it wasn't going to be the grand refurbishment that we'd all like to see.

Moving on. Former prototype 150/0s 001 & 002 are on the move up to Newton Heath today.

northernbelle

Thank you for your morning sarcasm, but as I'm not in charge of the appalling state of the 166s, perhaps you should be aiming it at GWR. Of course it wasn't what is needed for those units, but as it was done for the franchise launch when the Turbo's were likely to be kept in the Thames Valley, it wasn't going to be the grand refurbishment that we'd all like to see.

Moving on. Former prototype 150/0s 001 & 002 are on the move up to Newton Heath today.

While the Turbos are, let's say, tatty around the edges I think their state is generally far from 'appalling'. They need a refurbishment - which they're going to get - but they have had various pieces of work undertaken as an interim measure such as new carpets.

They're certainly not the worst out there. I recall the ex-Wessex 153s being far worse before FGW refurbished them for example.

That said, a spruce up will be most welcome.

Flinn Reed

The Turbos could also do with higher back seating if refurbished, would especially be more appropriate for the longer distance Portsmouth-Cardiff services. Perhaps seats from some of the withdrawn 143s & 153s could be used?

jimm

Established Member

Appalling?

As noted above by northernbelle, plenty of the units that FGW/GWR got from Wessex - and the 150/1s that arrived later - were in far more appalling condition than any GW Turbo has ever been allowed to get into.

Likely to be kept in the Thames Valley?

At the time the GWR identity and green livery was launched in September 2015 it had long been known that most of the fleet was going to move to Bristol as a result of the electrification work, so I have no idea what you are on about. Had the wiring scheme gone to plan, those transfers would have started to happen in December that year and eventually did a year later.

And at the time the Turbos were in the middle of the programme to fit accessible toilets and new door controls, so the fleet was at full stretch with sets away at Wolverton, so there was no chance more were going to be taken out of service to get a minor interior makeover, whatever the work involved.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I understand peoples concerns about the current Turbo train interiors on here. I've been on 4 before today - 1 in July, 2 in November (those 2 months in the year just gone) and 1 in February now nearly 2 months ago.

Personally, I think GWR have done an excellent job with cleaning the floors on the Turbos.

There's trains abroad I've seen on TV that have a far worse interior cleanliness rate. That's not me saying the Turbo train interiors are rubbish - just time for a change that's all.

D2007wsm

Established Member
The Turbos could also do with higher back seating if refurbished, would especially be more appropriate for the longer distance Portsmouth-Cardiff services. Perhaps seats from some of the withdrawn 143s & 153s could be used?
I wouldn’t think there would be enough to do all the Turbos. Maybe these Chapman seats could be used to reseat the 150/2s which have Ashbourne seats, even if in the existing layout.

A more logical solution with plenty available would be the Grammer seats off of the HST Mk3s. Theses could also be put in the 158s as well, to make a standard seat type for the longer distance non IET or Night Riviera fleet.

Parallel

Established Member
I wouldn’t think there would be enough to do all the Turbos. Maybe these Chapman seats could be used to reseat the 150/2s which have Ashbourne seats, even if in the existing layout.

A more logical solution with plenty available would be the Grammer seats off of the HST Mk3s. Theses could also be put in the 158s as well, to make a standard seat type for the longer distance non IET or Night Riviera fleet.
The GWR 158s have recently had the Richmond seats removed from some carriages and replaced with original BR seating so it is uniformed across their 158 fleet. I can't see them changing it again.

The Chapman seats have stood the test of time well. They are comfortable and look to be fairly sturdy, especially compared to some of the alternatives.

I agree with others, the Turbos are in need of refurbishment, especially as there are no plans to replace them for the foreseeable future. The new carpet that has been fitted inside many 166s is definitely a step in the right direction.

fgwrich

Established Member
Yes, Thank You to those reminding me that the Ex Wessex Fleet was in a worse state than the Turbos are now, however that was well over 10 years ago and similarly, both fleets require well overdue refurbishments. I use the Turbo fleet weekly to commute to work, and they are in a sorry state. There is no denying that, despite some posters dressing up of the fleet. The new carpets in the 166 fleet may have improved their now Bristol based cousins, but the reading units remain in a poor state. Often the single robobog is out of use, and more often than not a door is jammed Open too. I often use the first class compartment as this is declassified on my service and as per usual for the Turbo Fleet, the cables are dangling from under the seat bases, some seats have collapsed bases, the carpets have finally started to be renewed after the previous ones were left to get into this state, and it’s quite regular to see the wall trim / carpet sagging or removed. On a few units I’ve even seen holes in the wall caused by vandalism, just left.

In short, they are tired, and they do need a refurbishment. The new carpet in the FC compartment end is a minor improvement, but a minor one at that.

Attachments

• EE0246B8-0633-417A-B687-B2F8D868DEB5.jpeg
    EE0246B8-0633-417A-B687-B2F8D868DEB5.jpeg
    832.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 2C5AF9ED-8B97-4357-9575-B435D59B1889.jpeg
    2C5AF9ED-8B97-4357-9575-B435D59B1889.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 130
  • C7482D4F-7472-4F1F-A169-CE2BA8FF228D.jpeg
    C7482D4F-7472-4F1F-A169-CE2BA8FF228D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122

northernbelle

Appalling?

As noted above by northernbelle, plenty of the units that FGW/GWR got from Wessex - and the 150/1s that arrived later - were in far more appalling condition than any GW Turbo has ever been allowed to get into.

Likely to be kept in the Thames Valley?

At the time the GWR identity and green livery was launched in September 2015 it had long been known that most of the fleet was going to move to Bristol as a result of the electrification work, so I have no idea what you are on about. Had the wiring scheme gone to plan, those transfers would have started to happen in December that year and eventually did a year later.

And at the time the Turbos were in the middle of the programme to fit accessible toilets and new door controls, so the fleet was at full stretch with sets away at Wolverton, so there was no chance more were going to be taken out of service to get a minor interior makeover, whatever the work involved.

Agreed. No denying the Turbos need some love, but it does seem to be another subject that promotes a hysterical reaction.

Anyway, it's being addressed. The units are being refurbished and the blue sets are to be painted green.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
800321 has had a face mask painted on it! Good to see GWR finding humour whilst also showing solidarity during uncertain times.

Status
Not open for further replies.