• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Railway Heathrow Express Class 387 Refittment and Service Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

JN114

Established Member
It seems to be a very long time to convert only 12 4 car units, when the HST refresh programme was done back in 2006 they would have been finished by now and ready for testing.

There was a long period of limbo in 2019 where they couldn’t progress ETCS fitment as the safety boffins at GW weren’t happy with certain elements of the DVI (Driver/Vehicle Interface), and Bombardier had to go away and rethink their design philosophy. That caused the slip from planned intro in December 2019 through to later this year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Why did GWR get so many 387s in the first place? Their allocation always seemed pretty generous, considering the massive increase of capacity between them and the Crossrail 345s over the 165s and 166s.

JN114

Established Member
Yes, but that was always the plan.

45 was always an excessive fleet size, supposedly this tie-up has been on the table for a while, just only announced and put into action in past 18 months or so. I wouldn’t be surprised if the order was placed with the HX tie up in the back of the mind.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Oxford was supposed to be electrified when the order was placed.

Yes, the HeX consideration came much later, when the DfT realised there was nowhere else for the 332 fleet to go, having junked the Langley idea.

devonexpress

Why did GWR get so many 387s in the first place? Their allocation always seemed pretty generous, considering the massive increase of capacity between them and the Crossrail 345s over the 165s and 166s.

Because the original plan was to have all Thames valley services apart from Gatwick electrified, with all 165/166s going to Bristol, this however, didn't happen and as it slipped plans changed but the order had already been done, which is how we ended up with Castle sets and pacers in 2020.

Mikey C

Established Member
Because the original plan was to have all Thames valley services apart from Gatwick electrified, with all 165/166s going to Bristol, this however, didn't happen and as it slipped plans changed but the order had already been done, which is how we ended up with Castle sets and pacers in 2020.
It was unlikely that Oxford and the Thames Valley branches would have been electrified quickly though, so the 387s would have been at GWR well before they were all needed?

Non Multi

It was unlikely that Oxford and the Thames Valley branches would have been electrified quickly though, so the 387s would have been at GWR well before they were all needed?
Quite a few were stored at the freight sidings at Didcot and at North Pole Hitachi IET depot until they could actually be used.

Clarence Yard

Established Member

December 2018 was the target completion date at one time. The cl.387 fleet was authorized with that in mind.

3973EXL

Established Member
5Q50 reported as 57305 387137

Rtn Ilford - Oxford CS ran light to Wembley

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
5Q50 and 0H72 to give their correct train descriptions.

387 wasn’t ready to leave Ilford this afternoon, might be something more in the next few days.

Non Multi

They could have painted the cab roof! It does look a little bizarre leaving that in green. On the whole thought, it doesn't look too bad.
Good news! The cab roofs are being painted (or wrapped) silver-grey to match, presumably at Ilford. Martin Loader photographed 387131 being dragged to Oxford carriage sidings for storage on June 5th.
Photo: http://www.hondawanderer.com/387131_Culham_2020.htm

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Looking at the photos in a previous post it seems like they have removed the tables between Standard Class seats. Why on earth would they do that?

Same as the 332s. It probably makes sense, as the short journey isn't enough to do any serious work, and some people like keeping their bags with them by their knees (the overheads aren't up to much on Electrostars).

py_megapixel

Established Member
Same as the 332s. It probably makes sense, as the short journey isn't enough to do any serious work, and some people like keeping their bags with them by their knees (the overheads aren't up to much on Electrostars).
One thing which I find slightly odd is that there is no rolling stock in this country with any attempt at a middle ground between a full table and an empty bay. For example, some of the Deutsche-Bahn regional express rolling stock is fitted with tables which are either half-sized (so there is still room for luggage) or somehow folding, giving passengers a choice in what they would prefer.

The closest I can think of is the 175s, where some of the facing bays have tables and some don't, but that doesn't seem as flexible.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One thing which I find slightly odd is that there is no rolling stock in this country with any attempt at a middle ground between a full table and an empty bay. For example, some of the Deutsche-Bahn regional express rolling stock is fitted with tables which are either half-sized (so there is still room for luggage) or somehow folding, giving passengers a choice in what they would prefer.

The closest I can think of is the 175s, where some of the facing bays have tables and some don't, but that doesn't seem as flexible.

I'm a big fan of that design of table where each person has their own foldy bit - the only place the UK has ever really had them is Eurostar, though Pendolinos have them at the priority seats, admittedly however only the aisle side folds (so they're clearly allowed).

As for half tables, they were common on longer distance London commuter services - e.g. the Silverlink/LM 321s had them, though they were a retrofit at the Silverlink (early 2000s) refurb, as built they had small coffee shelves about 4" wide. They had a downside that because they had to be cantilevered off the sidewall the thick support got in the way of window seat legroom.

Domh245

Established Member
Even the photos you've linked to appear to show some sort of sideboard-esque arrangement with a pair of cupholders and just enough width to leave your phone on whilst charging it!

Energy

Established Member
Even the photos you've linked to appear to show some sort of sideboard-esque arrangement with a pair of cupholders and just enough width to leave your phone on whilst charging it!
To be fair it is a short journey to heathrow, long enough to get a charge on your phone but too short to get some work done so these look ideal.

TH172341

Chiltern's 168s at the facing table seating bays have table ends that slide in to give some more room which can be useful. Only one I can think of that is of that design.

Non Multi

The class 166s have angled mini tables as well as the full size ones. Been a few years since I've been on one, so I presume they've not been removed like the little cast metal trays fitted to the GWR 165s.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Some 377s have half tables, although they are little awkward to use and am not sure that's exactly what you're thinking of.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The class 166s have angled mini tables as well as the full size ones. Been a few years since I've been on one, so I presume they've not been removed like the little cast metal trays fitted to the GWR 165s.
That's the kind of thing I meant; I can't remember if they have been removed or not

fgwrich

Established Member
Good news! The cab roofs are being painted (or wrapped) silver-grey to match, presumably at Ilford. Martin Loader photographed 387131 being dragged to Oxford carriage sidings for storage on June 5th.
Photo: http://www.hondawanderer.com/387131_Culham_2020.htm

Indeed, good to see as they do look a bit more smarter / complete.

They are still fitted, but unfortunately do end up being covered in god knows what (usually the contents of several fosters, Stella, or Coke cans) on my line and end up as a somewhat sticky mess. Hopefully any refurbishment will cure some of the tatty turbos as some of the big tables weren't that nice either.

Non Multi

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Similar tables were also fitted to 321/4s, so presumably someone at Network South East thought they were a good thing.

The refurb was done by Silverlink, not NSE, but bizarrely and uniquely the NSE seat fabric wasn't replaced, which was odd given how comprehensive the rest of it was. As built they had coffee shelves about 6" by 3".

RailWonderer

Established Member
Quite a few classes of stock have had areas with half-tables, but I admit it isn't especially common.
I don't travel on those often but didn't the 321s transferred from LM and GN to GA have those and GA removed them?

The first class bay in the class 360 has a rounded half table for the two window seats.

The refurb was done by Silverlink, not NSE, but bizarrely and uniquely the NSE seat fabric wasn't replaced, which was odd given how comprehensive the rest of it was. As built they had coffee shelves about 6" by 3".
I might be imagining it but i thought I read once that the covers were replaced by Silverlink but there was an abundance of spare NSE fabric somewhere. The only other London TOC that replaced NSE fabric on BR stock in the first round of franchises was Thameslink and First Great Eastern (possibly SWT on slam door). I recall Silverlink doing the same with the 313's.

fgwrich

Established Member
I might be imagining it but i thought I read once that the covers were replaced by Silverlink but there was an abundance of spare NSE fabric somewhere. The only other London TOC that replaced NSE fabric on BR stock in the first round of franchises was Thameslink and First Great Eastern (possibly SWT on slam door). I recall Silverlink doing the same with the 313's.

Wouldn't surprise me, those 313 / 508s were virtually NSE until the end inside.

T-Karmel

Looking at the photos in a previous post it seems like they have removed the tables between Standard Class seats. Why on earth would they do that?

For exactly the same reason as on current fleet. It's a sales technic they thought of years ago to upsell Business First class tickets. Do you need to finish the presentation before you arrive at meeting? Why not to upgrade to Business First class with a table at every seat, 2 power sockets per seat (comparing to 1 socket per 2 seats in standard) to charge your laptop and mobile and more privacy at single seats so others won't look above your shoulder.

Also, remember if someone starts journey at T5 and gets to the train 10 mins before departure - that already makes 31 mins on board of the train rather than advertised 15 mins.

And you know, time is money. Business customers loves to pay a bit extra for more comfort and that premium feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.