• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Railway Heathrow Express Class 387 Refittment and Service Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reliablebeam

It’s only short term until December when Crossrail takes over the Readings, seating capacity is theoretically almost the same between a 6 car 165 and an 8 car 387.

Turbo should be on:-
0712 Reading - Paddington
0821 Paddington - Didcot
1003 Didcot - Paddington
1142 Paddington - Reading
1248 Reading - Paddington
1357 Paddington - Didcot
1532 Didcot - Paddington
1712 Paddington - Reading

The current PM Peak Turbo stopper (1755 Paddington - Reading) goes over to 8 car 387 operation.

Cheers, JN114.

I take your point about passenger capacity but I object to diesel units taking over electric working 100% under the wires. I guess we'll see how it pans out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Beemax

It’s scheduled to be a 6 car (2x3) - with no Bedwyns the Turbo fleet should have an easier time of things from next week. 2 vice 3 happens occasionally; but really not as often as you’re inferring.

First day out and it's a 3 car

JN114

Established Member
387130+387140 should be being dragged back this afternoon.

superalbs

Established Member
The units have retained ironing boards for now, they just decided to remove the cushions. Makes you wonder what they spent all that time doing (I thought ETCS was to come later)?

TheWalrus

Established Member
Yes very true, considering it’s my old TOC I’d like to see how these turn out. But usually Hex related threads always turns into rants hoping for its demise due to its cost, hard selling, Underground/TfL Rail is cheaper etc.....
IMO I think it’s a utilisation of 4 fast paths in and out of Paddington each hour which maybe are not necessary, and these paths could be used for new services?

Mordac

Established Member
The units have retained ironing boards for now, they just decided to remove the cushions. Makes you wonder what they spent all that time doing (I thought ETCS was to come later)?
Wow, that's going to make the seats even harder. :p

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There are two HEX liveried class 387s at the east end of Reading depot - sorry didn't get the numbers.

JN114

Established Member
There are two HEX liveried class 387s at the east end of Reading depot - sorry didn't get the numbers.

387130 and 387140; as has been being discussed in the seven posts immediately before yours.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The ETCS has also to be fitted by Dec 2019, it was discussed in the main 387 thread. I think ordering of the physical equipment was a separate contract, but fitting it is concurrent with the interior work.

JN114

Established Member
Will they be used in service or sit OOU until December?

They won’t see service with GWR (proper) now, nor are they needed to; with fewer units needed for peak traffic and another round of diagram tightening to come, which should release another 4 units.

They’ll be used to support ETCS Testing (once fitted) and HEX crew training until entry into service in December; as well as having other outstanding modifications still completed - interior fit out and ETCS fitment.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
IMO I think it’s a utilisation of 4 fast paths in and out of Paddington each hour which maybe are not necessary, and these paths could be used for new services?

No, Heathrow Express enables fast line calls at Slough and the peak fast services at Maidenhead and Twyford - the path isn't better used for new services.

Trailfinder

And if BAA/HAL had not funded and built the Heathrow branch, would anyone else have?
Would Crossrail actually have been built, since in the 2000s it was almost cancelled and going to Heathrow was one of its positives?

jimm

Established Member
And if BAA/HAL had not funded and built the Heathrow branch, would anyone else have?
Would Crossrail actually have been built, since in the 2000s it was almost cancelled and going to Heathrow was one of its positives?

The Heathrow project began life in the late 1980s as a public-private joint venture between British Rail and BAA - BAA bought out the BR stake in 1996 as part of the rail privatisation process.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/baa-buys-heathrow-rail-link-1330080.html?amp

JN114

Established Member
What's with the lines on the windows in 1st? If I pay more I want a better view!

No different from the current 332 fleet, the lines aren’t noticeable from the inside, it’s a perforated vinyl.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No different from the current 332 fleet, the lines aren’t noticeable from the inside, it’s a perforated vinyl.

Still a stupid idea. By the way, contravision *is* noticeable from the inside.

Any design that puts "stuff" on the windows is a poor design. Windows are for looking out of, not sticking things to.

JN114

Established Member
Still a stupid idea. By the way, contravision *is* noticeable from the inside.

Any design that puts "stuff" on the windows is a poor design. Windows are for looking out of, not sticking things to.

Stupid or not it’s been part of Heathrow Express’ brand since the late 1990s. They want stickers on the windows; they can have them. If it really bothers you that much save your pennies and travel standard class on HX, which doesn’t have the window striping - it’s only a 15 minute journey; half of which is in uninspiring suburban West London; the other half in a Tunnel.

Mikey C

Established Member
Stupid or not it’s been part of Heathrow Express’ brand since the late 1990s. They want stickers on the windows; they can have them. If it really bothers you that much save your pennies and travel standard class on HX, which doesn’t have the window striping - it’s only a 15 minute journey; half of which is in uninspiring suburban West London; the other half in a Tunnel.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the window striping on Standard then...

Status
Not open for further replies.