Great Western Super Express Trains (aka IEP) trains to not have a hot buffet?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Flamingo, 7 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flamingo

Flamingo Established Member

Buffet cars going as well. Trolley only. That may mean an end to hot food, cold beers and cappuccino's...

Last edited: 8 Apr 2015
  2. NSEFAN

NSEFAN Established Member

But Flamingo, with the buffet car gone you'll finally have somewhere to put those Reading commuters who stand in the 1st class vestibules with standard tickets! :D

3. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

A full kitchen is provided in the first class driving vehicle.

4. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

So it will have staff continuously walking backwards and forwards through first class? I bet our first class passengers will LOVE that for ambience and comfort...

How long before they all complain and the service gets cut back to first class only I wonder? The at seat service may work, but it will need a lot of work to it and peak services will be a challenge. It's not been thought out well at all. Buffets not only served as a selling point but as a central serving point. Having it at the back of a packed train is going to be even more useless than they claim it is now.

Where are these survey results anyway from this trial? I'm yet to find a single person who knows anything about it...

5. Flamingo

And a trolley for Standard Class. Kitchen is for First Class only, from what is being said...

6. ainsworth74

Seems so. I still have some slight hope that common sense will break out and the GWML SETs will end up with buffets like the ECML ones are now due to get.

7. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

I've heard hot food is for both standard and first. It may be complimentary for first class possibly.

8. Flamingo

Not what I've heard...

9. Carlisle

Carlisle Established Member

I think they tried hot meals at seat service in standard class on the Virgin pendilinos for a very short while before ditching the idea

Last edited: 7 Apr 2015
  10. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos Member

We can live in hope. I believe they are even retaining their guards too? Despite getting the same trains and signalling system as us? Seems odd to me. Why have it on one and not the other?
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I think it's in a letter being sent out?

11. ainsworth74

I've not heard any specifics about catering on GW services, are you sure you aren't getting confused with what VTEC are planning to do?

12. Flamingo

I've checked, it does say Hot for both, but trolley only. I've no idea how that will work...

13. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

Deleted.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2015
  14. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

A depressing, if predicatble confirmation of what we all feered. I knew that once XC Started running ABD>PNZ with a pathetic Trolley that apparently everyone loves (rubbish) the rest would follow

15. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I read (somewhere, possibly fGW's own publicity) that they planned to have microwaves in cupboards in a couple of the Standard coaches to allow the provision of hot food. But with the modern tendency towards quality sandwiches, is there all *that* much of a need for microwaved gristleburgers?

All that said, I wish they'd gone for a DB Bistrowagen-style service for all comers. People would actively choose to stand in such accommodation rather than miserably in the vestibules.

16. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

They were never done if you ask me! Agree with all you say. Il be honest and put my money on a bunch of 5 year olds being able to do better

17. Bletchleyite

They could consider something like what the Swiss trolleys use, which is a capsule coffee maker (like Nespresso, but not actually Nespresso) on the trolley. That said I always preferred DB filter coffee from the flask. Good quality filter coffee is always better than coffee out of a bean to cup machine that doesn't get cleaned properly and probably uses UHT "milk".

18. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

Course they were done.

The survey question will be this:
    "Do you prefer being served at your seat by a customer service host, or would you prefer to tramp through six carriages to a buffet counter?"

19. Bedpan

Bedpan Member

I agree, but not only that, I always think that the best part of any meal is the anticipation of what is to come, and having to wait for the trolley to come round can only heighten that anticipation. Think how much more satisfying that coffee will be when you finally drink in, if you've been waiting for it for a long time. And think of the money you will have saved if the trolley doesn't come round at all. <D

20. Bletchleyite

One thing that's changed these days is the amount of tech being carried. If I've got a couple of laptops and a tablet on me, I would rather a trolley and may well not bother at all if there isn't one, as I won't be leaving them unattended (and indeed would get in trouble if my work laptop was nicked in such circumstances).

21. HSTEd

HSTEd Established Member

This was inevitable with the move to 5-car sets.
    They put a premium on space.

Otherwise you could have ten cars with proper buffets, not two half sets

22. iantherev

iantherev Member

Agreed for different reasons. When I'm out for the day I tend to travel light and it's either a choice of risking having your seat taken while you're away at the buffet or risking leaving the camera bag stolen because you've left it there to mark your place.

23. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

Will this lead to East Midland Trains style of trolley - no staff for it half the time !!!

24. D1009

D1009 Established Member

Actually officially hot bacon rolls are available in standard class on XC. Most unusually the service was advertised this morning on 1V42 after Bristol TM. I believe what is supposed to happen is that the Retail Service Manager takes orders as he or she goes through the train with the trolley. On completion, the bacon rolls are prepared using the on-board microwave, then delivered to the appropriate seats. I think it's fairly obvious what the problems are with this, and why it's so seldom advertised.

25. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

Letter sent to FGW staff:

https://exiledmackem.wordpress.com/...yourselves-for-a-massive-battle-to-save-jobs/

26. ainsworth74

If anyone wishes to discuss the DOO elements of this letter please do so on this thread.

27. Agent_c

Agent_c Member

Sounds better than the Scotrail Trolley... Hot Coke and cold Coffee...

28. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Wasn't the trolley abandoned on HSTs because it couldn't get through the train and also that the trolley's design when combined with HSTs actually caused incidents and accidents to staff?

Can't see it being any different with IEP / SET.

29. ainsworth74

Then how does it work on East Coast and Cross Country? Both run busy services and both have trolleys...

30. AngusH

AngusH Member

I fear you may be right, but I do hope that if the vehicle spec calls for a trolley, then some effort will have been put into designing the carriage so that a trolley can be safely used.

I suppose trolleys weren't a thing when the HST/mk3 were being designed.

Do East Coast HST services have a trolley? Or is it just the mk4?
    I know some services have them because I've bought tea from them, but I can't remember if it was a HST or a mk4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.