• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Super Express Trains (aka IEP) trains to not have a hot buffet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Depends on how it's done. It would be possible I guess for such things to be ordered and delivered to the seat rather than a trolley doing them, as the vast majority of people won't want them. A bit like they do on easyJet and the likes - the hot food is ordered when the trolley gets to you, then they warm it up, then they bring it round once ready.

Heard of Orderella?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It seems improbable that bacon rolls or other hot food will be available from a trolley.

I've been served a jacket potato with cheese from a trolley before!

Admittedly this was on a Pendolino so there is a kitchen available ... :D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
My belief as well. I'll eat my hat if there's any mention of hot food catering in the direct franchise award to FGW.

From two separate sources I hear that Pullman services ARE specified in the franchise agreement from September 2015. Certainly a first for catering provision to be explicitly covered by an agreement.

Seems I may be consuming my headwear. I'll get one if the Pullman chefs to serve it up with a nice Cafe de Paris butter. :lol:

Essexman

Established Member
According to the steward (is that what they are called?) who served me an excellent fillet steak in the Pullman restaurant today, provision of a minimum of four restaurants is included in the franchise so secure until 2019. The new trains will have a kitchen (as seems to be commonly known now) but they don't know how big it will be or if the restaurants will continue.

Mark62

These trains will probably have tiny seats with minimal leg room and before long five car sets will be running to Plymouth in place of the much comfier and longer HSTs. Maybe at some point trains will be a fast as they they were 25 years ago.

irish_rail

Established Member
These trains will probably have tiny seats with minimal leg room and before long five car sets will be running to Plymouth in place of the much comfier and longer HSTs. Maybe at some point trains will be a fast as they they were 25 years ago.

Yes, this reminds me of how we were told the Voyagers would all run in pairs when they replaced Hsts on VXC, but it didn't take long before almost every service was a single set. I certainly think, sadly that 5 car sets from London to Plymouth will be the norm on most trains :(

Rapidash

Even though, assuming the new deal is signed off with the DFT, there will be 29 odd sets dedicated to Devon and Cornwall? The odd single set through Cornwall, sure, but from Plymouth? I'd imagine they'll double up from there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, this reminds me of how we were told the Voyagers would all run in pairs when they replaced Hsts on VXC, but it didn't take long before almost every service was a single set. I certainly think, sadly that 5 car sets from London to Plymouth will be the norm on most trains :(
If they made Reading u/s to keep the commuters off, that may well be sufficient for most services.

route:oxford

Established Member
If they made Reading u/s to keep the commuters off, that may well be sufficient for most services.

We've still to identify what will happen to passenger flows when cross-rail opens as far as Reading.

I'm not convinced that, if I'm already on a Crossrail service from Bank if, I would bother to disembark at Paddington, trek upstairs, wait for 2 minutes before a service departure platform is announced, then scrummage with the mob to get through the barriers before running the 260M length of an IEP service to find a seat.

Besides, time and time again in these forums, we are told that passengers would choose a through service over a change every time.

Carlisle

Established Member
Yes, this reminds me of how we were told the Voyagers would all run in pairs when they replaced Hsts on VXC, but it didn't take long before almost every service was a single set. I(

Many Voyagers actually did run in pairs until the start of the Operation Princess timetable which was in theory anyway supposed to provide shorter but more frequent services :(

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member

What is u/s?
If its set down only (in the morning), pick up only (in the evening) how are you going to enforce it?

If its non stop through Reading, what about the not inconsiderable number of passengers that want to get off the train there in the morning?
Reading is a destination in its own right now!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What is u/s?
If its set down only (in the morning), pick up only (in the evening) how are you going to enforce it?

If its non stop through Reading, what about the not inconsiderable number of passengers that want to get off the train there in the morning?
Reading is a destination in its own right now!
Pick up/set down only. To be honest, there may be little need to enforce towards Paddington as everyone requiring a seat is already on - but people tend to behave at MKC and Watford. Away from Paddington staff could perform manual ticket checks at the platform ends.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As has been detailed in other threads Reading commuters do not behave when it comes to obeying pick up only restrictions. The 1915 to Swansea on, I believe, a Friday is pick up only at Reading and is therefore not listed on the departure boards at Paddington but Reading commuters still pile onto it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The layout at Padd is such that they would be easily able to set up manned barriers for that one train and turn them away. Or arrange a sly relief and over carry them, charging them the fare back to Reading or even a PF :)

broadgage

According to the steward (is that what they are called?) who served me an excellent fillet steak in the Pullman restaurant today, provision of a minimum of four restaurants is included in the franchise so secure until 2019. The new trains will have a kitchen (as seems to be commonly known now) but they don't know how big it will be or if the restaurants will continue.

Yes, the new trains are to have kitchens, located in the driving trailer at the first class end, so as to permit of hot food service in first class.
Only a trolley though for steerage.

The requirement to continue to provide at least four restaurants a day is confirmed in another forum by direct quote from the relevant document.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The requirement to continue to provide at least four restaurants a day is confirmed in another forum by direct quote from the relevant document.

Indeed! Six posts ago on this very thread in fact :lol:

The layout at Padd is such that they would be easily able to set up manned barriers for that one train and turn them away. Or arrange a sly relief and over carry them, charging them the fare back to Reading or even a PF

They do do that from time to time but still the Reading commuters must get the 1915 at all costs it seems!

irish_rail

Established Member

Just not true, if you look at most b and H services during the day, in the down direction (ie towards Plymouth), very few passengers actually get off at Reading, vast majority travel at least as far as Taunton / Exeter.

sheff1

Established Member
That's a good point. We are all far more security conscious these days and people don't want to leave their belongings at their seat while they go wandering off for refreshments.

But will happily leave their belongings when they go to the toilet ...

bnm

Established Member
With regard to the minimum specification of four Pullman restaurant services across the entire FGW network, I have it on good authority that FGW intend to continue providing the twelve Pullman services per weekday, that are currently running, for the lifetime of the franchise to April 2019.

There are also well developed plans for a further two services (an up lunch and down dinner) between South Wales and Paddington.

Status
Not open for further replies.