• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Yarmouth carriage sidings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tio Terry

Maybe there is no need but if it's cheaper than paying the MNR then it could be worth it.
Yes, that's true.

Are Great Yarmouth carriage sidings now single ended? There used to be an exit via the Breydon Junction end but I guess that's gone now?

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes, that's true.

Are Great Yarmouth carriage sidings now single ended? There used to be an exit via the Breydon Junction end but I guess that's gone now?
Only access is the Vauxhall station end. The other one was lost with the abolition of Breydon Jcn box in 1977 mate.

Tio Terry

"The other one was lost with the abolition of Breydon Jcn box in 1977 mate."

I suppose that just goes to show how long ago it was that I was last in that neck of the woods! Thanks.

38Cto15E

Is there much stored on the MNR now or are most of the 745's and 755's formerly on the MNR out and about?

LAX54

Established Member
Only access is the Vauxhall station end. The other one was lost with the abolition of Breydon Jcn box in 1977 mate.

And, only to and from Platform 2 ! although you can get to all 3, it is only signalled to / from P2

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
But they must be standing somewhere now, why move them before they go for scrap?

Because they are clogging up Crown Point, a working depot doesn’t want to have its operations constrained by copious amounts of off-lease stock.

dk1

Veteran Member
Work is progressing well and the sidings are looking almost as good as they did in the 70/80s. There seems to be some involvement from the Mid Norfolk Railway so will be interesting to see what is so worthy of all this money and effort.

HLE

Established Member
Seems like a massive waste of money unless the MNR plans to store some of their stock there? Can't see how they can securely stable any 755's there overnight.

dk1

Veteran Member
Seems like a massive waste of money unless the MNR plans to store some of their stock there? Can't see how they can securely stable any 755's there overnight.
Wouldn't be anything to do with Stadler units.

HLE

Established Member
Wouldn't be anything to do with Stadler units.

Thanks, I would have found it odd if they were.
Suppose we'll just wait and see what happens in the future!

dk1

Veteran Member
Thanks, I would have found it odd if they were.
Suppose we'll just wait and see what happens in the future!
As mentioned in earlier posts, some bogies & wheelsets have arrived here too.

Rick1984

I noticed that today and some gravel/ballast going down on at least one line

dk1

Veteran Member
I noticed that today and some gravel/ballast going down on at least one line
Some relaying has taken place too particularly in the siding nearest Acle New Road. This was the location of at least two class 03 derailments that I can remember as a kid.

Rick1984

Oh just remembered, there was a load of relay boxes there as well.
Possibly from the resignalling

dk1

Veteran Member
37402 tested the refurbished Sidings today with LHCS for storage expected later this week.

LAX54

Established Member
5 Mk3's should be going there to stable sometime today. Only access to / from the sidings in now via P2 only, although pointwork would allow all platforms, but not part of the resig.

dk1

Veteran Member
5 Mk3's should be going there to stable sometime today. Only access to / from the sidings in now via P2 only, although pointwork would allow all platforms, but not part of the resig.
I think I signal checked them at CO501 whilst I was playing trains going Norwich Low Level to Norwich Victoria Sidings via the Whitlingham crossover & Wensum Curve :p Still it pleased the photographers on the footbridge as the 37 opened up & thrashed under them once given the green.

dk1

Veteran Member
Still only 5 carriages but they have now been joined by a resident pilot. Shunting loco 08762 arrived via low loader yesterday evening & is now operational. Ironically 08s where never common at Yarmouth Vauxhall with class 03s being based here for many years until Crown Point depot in Norwich opened in 1982.

Henry Johnson

Rumour has it that apparently some mk2 coaches are going to be stationed here as well?

I wonder if one of the reasons for these coaches being kept in reserve here is in case the new trains fail and GA should need to borrow them back in an emergency?

dk1

Veteran Member
Rumour has it that apparently some mk2 coaches are going to be stationed here as well?

I wonder if one of the reasons for these coaches being kept in reserve here is in case the new trains fail and GA should need to borrow them back in an emergency?
No chance whatsoever of the latter but a nice thought :lol:

Henry Johnson

The thought of mk2s being stored there is a nice one, as its nice to see sidings that were desolate for years finally being used again. I heard through the pipeline it's something to do with eastern rail services and the mid norfolk. Whatever it is it's good to see.

mk2bfk

Work is progressing well and the sidings are looking almost as good as they did in the 70/80s. There seems to be some involvement from the Mid Norfolk Railway so will be interesting to see what is so worthy of all this money and effort.

I can assure you there is no involvement from the Mid-Norfolk Railway whatsoever. The work at the carriage sidings is totally independant by a separate company. Plenty of plans for the place, watch this space..

Smoggy

Mid Norfolk Railway are NOT involved in Yarmouth Vaxuhall Sidings in any capacity. The sidings are leased by Eastern Rail Services

Smoggy

Photo of 08762 from Tuesday night just after delivery

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
I can assure you there is no involvement from the Mid-Norfolk Railway whatsoever. The work at the carriage sidings is totally independant by a separate company. Plenty of plans for the place, watch this space..
The faces are familiar from the MNR ;) I am upto speed now.

HLE

Established Member
Site looks very clear compared to the overgrown look it had last year! Some money been spent on that one.

LAX54

Established Member
so when, if ever was the last 08 Pilot stationed at Vauxhall ? I was there 78 to 89 and can't recall one being allocated .

Status
Not open for further replies.