• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia 2019 - What could possibly go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
I notice the track defect at Romford is still there (where a loud bang occurs when the first axle of an eastbound fast train passes over it), years after it first appeared. I wonder why this still hasn't been dealt with, given the number of engineering possessions there have been in that time?
There are actually two. I've noticed it for around 15 years. Just thought it something to do with the Bridge over the High St.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iphone76

I notice the track defect at Romford is still there (where a loud bang occurs when the first axle of an eastbound fast train passes over it), years after it first appeared. I wonder why this still hasn't been dealt with, given the number of engineering possessions there have been in that time?

I did report this again the other day. I wonder if they will check. If I get an update I will let you know.

dk1

Veteran Member
I did report this again the other day. I wonder if they will check. If I get an update I will let you know.
It wouldn't seem right not getting the double 'bang' on the DM now. What's wrong with it neccesttating it requiring reporting all of a sudden?

iphone76

It wouldn't seem right not getting the double 'bang' on the DM now. What's wrong with it neccesttating it requiring reporting all of a sudden?

Made me jump the other night waiting for my train home. Sounded louder than usual. I would hate for anything to happen if it could be prevented.

samuelmorris

Established Member
First time riding a 379 today. All I can think of is 'what a shame' - quiet, fairly comfortable, decent spec units, but they are looking a bit careworn now aren't they! The seats, while a little unusual, were very pleasant to sit in but for the disgraceful state of the covers. Floor fittings are all looking a bit scratched and tired, some light tubes unlit so I was sitting in a secluded dark corner! All easily resolved, hopefully whoever the next operator is tarts them up a bit.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
First time riding a 379 today. All I can think of is 'what a shame' - quiet, fairly comfortable, decent spec units, but they are looking a bit careworn now aren't they! The seats, while a little unusual, were very pleasant to sit in but for the disgraceful state of the covers. Floor fittings are all looking a bit scratched and tired, some light tubes unlit so I was sitting in a secluded dark corner! All easily resolved, hopefully whoever the next operator is tarts them up a bit.

Pretty much agree with all that, the floor fittings, the non carpet bits of the floor, are a terrible state and look very well worn. It's got worse in the last 12-18 months, but as said elsewhere, that's nothing strange, we've seen fleets soon to leave have only short term and essential maintenance done before then many times on the railway.

Terry Tait

We should campaign to save the 379s, excellent trains that are only eight years old going into storage is not my idea for efficiency in running a railway.

trebor79

Established Member
We should campaign to save the 379s, excellent trains that are only eight years old going into storage is not my idea for efficiency in running a railway.
I do wonder what prevents a refinancing to reduce the interest and hence lease costs.

RailWonderer

Established Member
The last 379 I took four months ago had the same problems, but on a Saturday morning where it looked like some passengers had a rave. Cans/bottles everywhere, carpets stained with it, plus worn seats and grotty air con vents and burned out lights. The 360 I was on yesterday was similarly worn. It’s the norm at the end of the franchise.
And I sat in the dark corner as well.

Alfie1014

Possibly meant it’s almost the end of the lease before they go back to the ROSCO or elsewhere?

Alfie1014

Though I see in this month’s Modern Railways it is confirmed the the GTR class 171s are going to EMR to be converted back to 170s! And will be back filled by battery Electrostars (379s perhaps?)

leytongabriel

Marvellous that the new Stratford - Meridain Water service is up and running but why are we being treated to 8 car trains all day. As most of the housing developments have yet to be built, 2 cars would probably do quite nicely off-peak thank you. Seems a bit of a waste. Couldn't four cars be uncoupled in the bays at Stratford or Meridian Water?

dk1

Veteran Member
Marvellous that the new Stratford - Meridain Water service is up and running but why are we being treated to 8 car trains all day. As most of the housing developments have yet to be built, 2 cars would probably do quite nicely off-peak thank you. Seems a bit of a waste. Couldn't four cars be uncoupled in the bays at Stratford or Meridian Water?
It's probably for operational convenience. The other unit would have to go somewhere for the off peak hours & require another driver.

Established Member
The trains have to be interworked with the Stratford - Bishops Stortford / Hertford East service which certainly in the peaks have to be 8 cars. Therefore it isn’t the same train going backwards and forwards all day, but part of a cycle of 6 trains. The only place you could detach a unit would be Bishops Stortford, there is no bay at Stratford as the service runs to platform 11, and no signalling to allow one to be left at Meridian Water. That’s a lot of shunting assuming you have drivers to do it and siding capacity at Bishops Stortford.

Class 170101

Established Member

Just wait for the football crowds.

2L70

On Moderation
Been on and around the GA network today and it seems they are struggling for stock till the new stuff is ready. Liverpool St - Norwich 321(now regular I’m told), various branch line services 153.

Saw a couple of new units when I was last in Norwich, have they been taken off? Heard there was issues with the regional units.

Sleepy

Established Member
Should be 5 diagrams with Stadlers in operation Norwich to Cambridge/ Lowestoft / Gt Yarmouth (with Sheringham line next once camera issues sorted).

dk1

Veteran Member
Should be 5 diagrams with Stadlers in operation Norwich to Cambridge/ Lowestoft / Gt Yarmouth (with Sheringham line next once camera issues sorted).
Six 755/4s in traffic today. Never known more than five. Things are improving slowly.

trebor79

Established Member
6 out of how many delivered?
7 accepted for traffic was reported earlier in the week. I guess a lot of them haven't even started mileage accumulation yet.
And still the puzzling absence of any 3 car units continues.

It was the first morning in a long while that journey check had no rural cancellations.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
That's not really the point. Its out of the seven accepted. More patience is required I'm afraid.
passengers understandably run out of patience when their train doesn't turn up, especially on services with an hourly or worse frequency!

Established Member
You've also got to match up trained drivers and guards to the new units. The logistics of doing that all day every day are not straightforward. In fact it gets increasingly difficult as more units are introduced until you have at least 75% trained.

dk1

Veteran Member
That seems like quite a small number given how many units have been there for so long - is the /4 acceptance process also being held up?
Sorry it's actually nine. Issues need ironing out before further acceptance. I hear we are close to ASDO becoming fully operational which is excellent news.

Status
Not open for further replies.