• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia 2019 - What could possibly go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelmorris

Established Member
A problem under investigation usually means either the cause is not yet known or the reason can't be disclosed, e.g. in the case of the former a service hasn't arrived where it should have yet but the reason why has not yet reached control, in the case of the latter the issue could potentially be problematic for a member of staff, e.g. a SPAD or some other controversy. The latter case usually ends up being attributed to 'an operational incident' but generally speaking ''a problem currently under investigation' translates to 'we can't tell you yet'.

Generally speaking the railway are quite transparent about disclosing the reasons for delays when they're routine. The issue is really how frequently such issues occur.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave1987

On Moderation
I think the railway needs to be more aware that they are there to provide a service to us rather than themselves
They never want to let us know what is going on. Today all day there have been cancellations on the Cambridge line
" Due to a problem under investigation " that can mean anything. why not say track broke signals failed so we can understand their problems
I notice they have stopped using silly "emergency services dealing with an incident " yesterday they said person hit by train we all know it happens

At the end of the day how much is too little information and how much is too much. I’ve seen people on social media demand the release of investigation material because they were delayed and wanted to decide if they deemed the driver involved was suitably punished. I don’t think the railways have ever been so transparent as they are today.

dk1

Veteran Member
I think the railway needs to be more aware that they are there to provide a service to us rather than themselves
They never want to let us know what is going on. Today all day there have been cancellations on the Cambridge line
" Due to a problem under investigation " that can mean anything. why not say track broke signals failed so we can understand their problems
I notice they have stopped using silly "emergency services dealing with an incident " yesterday they said person hit by train we all know it happens
Not sure why we keep changing the protocol for such things. The poor railways are dammed if they don't & damned if they do. About time we stopped worrying so much about anyone being offended & just say it as it is. People are never happy either way so what's to lose?

trebor79

Established Member
Surely if the 720s aren't ready in time, the sensible thing to do would be to grant a derogation for a relatively short period of time until they are in service.
That would be far more practical and sensible than some complicated cascade plan involving delaying the 170s going elsewhere and using FLIRTs on the commuter routes which still wouldn't provide anything like enough capacity.
Plus the FLIRTs have to be maintained at Crown Point depot which has been rebuilt for the purpose. How do you maintain them if they are being used at the other end of the network?
No, there'll be a derogation if need be. That carries less business and political risk than a wholesale trashing of the service for months, with knock on impacts on other TOCs to boot.

trebor79

Established Member
There won't be a Labour government when the derogation needs to be granted.

nesw

Yesterday (Jan 2 2019) wasn’t a good day. The engineering block was handed back on time but subsequent unrelated incidents combined to make it poor day for passengers.
A report of a rough ride on the up main near Seven Kings had to be investigated and fixed, A class 379 working a morning peak Stansted service had technical issues, around 1000 there was a person hit by a train on the electric lines at Seven Kings and back on West Anglia, a vehicle hit a level crossing at Brimsdown.

Wivenswold

Established Member
There won't be a Labour government when the derogation needs to be granted.
Two assumptions from you;
1 - There will be derogation if need be.
2 - There won't be a Labour Government.

Assume nothing. Anyone who says they know what will happen is just guessing.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Two assumptions from you;
1 - There will be derogation if need be.
2 - There won't be a Labour Government.

Assume nothing. Anyone who says they know what will happen is just guessing.

There definitely won't be a Labour government, especially with Corbyn, Abbott & McDonnell at the helm!

Wivenswold

Established Member
That's obviously your opinion. I think it's unlikely but there are far too many twists and turns ahead. Getting back to derogation, it would be foolish to assume non-PRM will be allowed beyond the end of 2019.

I don't know what it is with people making opinion-laden statements as fact without providing any evidence to support the statement. "There will be derogation if need be". Really, why? What's your source? Oh, it's just an opinion.

Rant over. As you were.

HH

Established Member
There definitely won't be a Labour government, especially with Corbyn, Abbott & McDonnell at the helm!
The alternative may be a party with Bojo, Raab & Gove at the helm. It doesn't bear thinking about.

dk1

Veteran Member
Well your starter for 10, this year is a broken rail on the up main at Seven Kings that was reported just a few hours after the line reopened after being closed for 11 days and now a fatality reported in the same area blocking the remaining three lines. Level crossing damage at Brimsdown. Oh and the 0800 Stansted Airport to Liv St disappeared out of the schedules so didn’t run!

So a pretty normal day on GA so far!
And today it's C2Cs turn. Predictable "& you've put the fares up" comments a plenty :rolleyes:

trebor79

Established Member
That's obviously your opinion. I think it's unlikely but there are far too many twists and turns ahead. Getting back to derogation, it would be foolish to assume non-PRM will be allowed beyond the end of 2019.

I don't know what it is with people making opinion-laden statements as fact without providing any evidence to support the statement. "There will be derogation if need be". Really, why? What's your source? Oh, it's just an opinion.

Rant over. As you were.

Yep, just my opinion. Worth no more and no less than those who are stating their view that there will be some complicated and impractical cascade of old and new stock which still won't provide anything like the capacity required.

We will all just have to wait and see.

samuelmorris

Established Member
And today it's C2Cs turn. Predictable "& you've put the fares up" comments a plenty :rolleyes:
The C2C user base on twitter are absolutely abhorrent. Numerous times when regularly commuting I was hit by delays of 3-4 minutes at best and you should see the torrent of abuse that gets hurled. A few people have tried resurrecting the old 'misery line' moniker after the controversial timetable introduction, clearly none of them having any recollection of what the line used to be like. They have shot themselves in the foot with that timetable but still remain one of the best TOCs due to the simplicity of their route and fleet. No point trying to convince people of that though.

As for the derogation point, no, we can't assume it will happen. It will just be very foolish of the government to enforce it I feel. Removing a large proportion of railway services nationwide will not earn them any favours. I'm sure it'll be blamed on the EU but even so, people have limits to what they'll put up with.

colchesterken

The problem on the Cambridge is still under investigation , several cancellations, Why cannot we be told what the problem is?

RailWonderer

Established Member
They have shot themselves in the foot with that timetable but still remain one of the best TOCs due to the simplicity of their route and fleet. No point trying to convince people of that though.
Chiltern is similarly the highest rated in the country year on year for this same reason. Simplicity of route and fleet for reliability and maintenance is key, newer trains in a homogeneous fleet cheaper and quicker to interchange when something goes wrong. Franchises should be made longer and other measures taken to incentive more ToCs to operate this way and the rails would be in a far better state.

HH

Established Member
According to this year's "Spanner" awards, the 2nd generation post-privatisation EMUs are probably a high point, performance-wise. All the 3rd generation units are suffering from software glitches that are extremely difficult to fix, due to the complexity of the latest systems.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The problem on the Cambridge is still under investigation , several cancellations, Why cannot we be told what the problem is?

I would love to know what is going on. But nobody wants to tell me. Still saying exactly the same. Is it a shortage of rolling stock or a broken down train they don't want to fess up to?

Bikeman78

Established Member
Indeed. Things looking very bad for GA. Lets assume the IC stadler EMUs replace the mark 3s on time, and the stadler airport units replace 379s on time. Come 1 Jan 2020 that means GA will have the following PRM stock: 30 x 379, 30 renatus 321s, 21 x 360. They are also supposed to be getting mods done on 27 x 317s by 31 Oct 2018. I think one has gone for them so far, lets say 15 are done by Jan 2020.

Rest of the 317 fleet - say 31 of the total 46 units

There currently 57 class 317s in the fleet covering 44 diagrams. One pair works the Stansteds along with 18 class 379s (eight pairs and two others that make 12 car peak formations). Assuming the 745s are all up and running that's 20 317 diagrams covered leaving 24 to cover.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Assuming some 317s have actually had PRM modifications, it shouldn't be too bad WA-side as they could drop the Stansted Express to half-hourly and then run a slightly reduced service elsewhere with the 379s and remaining 317s. It's the GEML that's most at risk by the PRM deadline.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Assuming some 317s have actually had PRM modifications, it shouldn't be too bad WA-side as they could drop the Stansted Express to half-hourly and then run a slightly reduced service elsewhere with the 379s and remaining 317s. It's the GEML that's most at risk by the PRM deadline.
In my previous post I assumed that the Stansted Express would be 100% 745s so, unless they can run elsewhere, there would be little point in reducing the Stansted frequency. I take your point about the GEML though. By my calculations there are 64 unmodified class 321s to replace.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Agreed, but if they're that short of units and they could get clearance to operate 745s elsewhere it may be necessary to transfer them. Since 745/1 and 745/0 sets will be common to Norwich and Stansted services, the Stansted units could still be operated to, for example, Ipswich in lieu of non-PRM 321s.

Class 170101

Established Member
Yep but they might do for Southend / Braintree / Hertford East to LivSt and Stortford / Stratford. Also Stratford / Meridian Water, if that comes to pass, due May, anyone know if GA are planning for May start?

Looking at Lea Bridge Station calls for Meridian Water I'd say no to the extra services but it looks like Angel Road has been replaced with Meridian Water in existing services.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/LEB/2019/05/21/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Clip

Established Member

Rant over. As you were.

Seems to be quite factual - if there needs to be a derogation then there will be one and if there isnt any need for one then there wont be one. Pretty simple stuff

samuelmorris

Established Member
Not necessarily - it could be that a derogation is only granted after a suspension of service. Seems utterly foolish but in the event of not having some sort of amendment to contract or break clause in place with the TOCs quickly enough, I can see how it could potentially happen - could well be that after a third of the rail network shuts down after new year's next year, when the crisis hits the headlines the matter will abruptly be 'rectified'. Anything's possible at this stage, really. I don't think any public statements have yet been made about the government's intentions - as far as I know they haven't acknowledged the missed deadline officially yet.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Not sure how bad it's getting for the staff, but the repeated pressing of the PA button and hearing the ding followed by ABBA being played about 12 times tonight on the 19:45 ex Peterborough was certainly a random thing to happen. I saw the amusing side of it but I thought the passenger trying to sleep next to me was going to burst a blood vessel!

Is this a one off or can we expect entertainment on a regular basis in 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.