• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia are recruiting Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirleyd286

those 3 'development areas' were an absolute pain. As said, what do you put that wont put your application to the shredder pile. I suppose its about being honest and realizing everyone needs to improve in some areas. I think mine involved various aspects that came down to not being so hard on my sub-ordinates at work.... :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

david_VI

As long as you can demonstrate you are able to reach your depot at any time of the morning/night then I don't see a problem. You would need some sort of personal transport, as you don't drive then I would suggest you would need to relocate to a place that is either within reasonable walking or cycling distance.

Relying on public transport alone would cause problems on days/times when there are no buses/trains running or in times of known delays/cancellations.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm happy to move as I want a new start in life, got nothing to lose! I cycle so that should help. Should be alright moving to Chingford area or Bishops Stortford I should think,

Probably affordable as I could do most the training from home as it would be normal hours? and rail travel would be free..
Then move when I have the position (As I would have raised enough money)... In theory that should work..? :|

Going to try my best to get this position and make it work, I hope this kind of commitment looks good to the employer and not crazy!

Anyway the post office was a failure due to missing the post! So i'm going to travel into London to hand deliver it Tuesday! Dedication!

baldieman

I applied for this one on Good Friday and sent it next day delivery which will mean it arrives on the cut-off date.

It was nice to see a company requesting hand written applications for a change, should cut down on the number of applicants, especially considering the limited time the application was open.

Regards,

Baldieman.

Last edited:

david_VI

I applied for this one on Good Friday and sent it next day delivery which will mean it arrives on the cut-off date.

It was nice to see a company requesting hand written applications for a change, should cut down on the number of applicants, especially considering the limited time the application was open.

Regards,

Baldieman.

How long was the application open? I caught it quite late! Is there any idea how many applicants there could be?

David

theking

Was open for just over a week I think.

Applications in the high hundreds I'd imagine given the current economic climate every tom, dick or harry looks at the potential pay and applies even if they had never ever thought about trains or the railways before.

At the dlr day I went to there were uni graduates, accountants lawyers literally most high end professions were represented I was shocked.

david_VI

Was open for just over a week I think.

Applications in the high hundreds I'd imagine given the current economic climate every tom, dick or harry looks at the potential pay and applies even if they had never ever thought about trains or the railways before.

At the dlr day I went to there were uni graduates, accountants lawyers literally most high end professions were represented I was shocked.

I hope I have at least the chance to get to the assessment centre. I lack experience as i've been in full time education and a bit of voluntary work, but it shouldn't hold me back too much if I have some good enough examples for the questions in the interviews, I hope.

Are most people aware of these jobs as they only seem to be advertised on the website and not at a job centre?

I do hope a guy who just wants a well paid job doesn't get further than me! Passion, enthusiasm and the drive to learn should mean something these days!

David

deano1974

Just got back from delivering my application by hand, security guard said "just add it to the pile"
so i put it on top of another 15/20 that had also been delivered.
good luck to all.

david_VI

Just got back from delivering my application by hand, security guard said "just add it to the pile"
so i put it on top of another 15/20 that had also been delivered.
good luck to all.

Those in the pile weren't all hand deliveries were they?

Cheers for the heads up, I now know what to expect when I get there!

theking

Who said they thought there would be a lack of applications!

Being a proper paper sift rather than a conputer sift i can see this taking a long time to get a response.

deano1974

Who said they thought there would be a lack of applications!

Being a proper paper sift rather than a conputer sift i can see this taking a long time to get a response.

i got that impression, but aye, you gotta be innit to winnit i guess!
best of luck

shirleyd286

Good luck to all. Was good to have a paper application that required a bit of research. I just hope to get to at least the assessment stage.

Gareth43

Same here hand deliverd mine this morning, there was 7 in the pile, very polite receptionist said he would "throw the rest of the applications away for me" :lol:
And so the waiting game once again begins, sod's law say's I will get an assessment the same day as FCC's.
Good luck too all that applied.

GadgetMan

Just dropped mine off at 7am, there was a good pile of envelopes sitting in reception.

david_VI

Off to London later this morning. Will have to use the satnav, hopefully its not too crazy getting there!

Any idea on how long it'l take to process them all?

David

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Off to London later this morning. Will have to use the satnav, hopefully its not too crazy getting there!

Any idea on how long it'l take to process them all?

David

The only other vacancy I've applied for with (then) NXEA took over 6 months to hear back after the initial application stage. I'd actually forgotten that I'd applied for it!

david_VI

The only other vacancy I've applied for with (then) NXEA took over 6 months to hear back after the initial application stage. I'd actually forgotten that I'd applied for it!

Great! :lol:

I could really do with this job as it'l mean I can quit my degree.. Looks like i'll have to stick with it a bit!

jasont

Well I wish u all luck with your applications. I did my tests in January 2011 and then my structured and Managers interview in March. Passed all of them. Then NXEA lost there franchise.

I finally heard this year from Greater Anglia, and I had my medical 2 weeks ago(passed that). I know I will be working at the Chingford Depot.

I should hear this week regarding a start date in June. So I may get to meet some of you.

Pezza

Well I wish u all luck with your applications. I did my tests in January 2011 and then my structured and Managers interview in March. Passed all of them. Then NXEA lost there franchise.

I finally heard this year from Greater Anglia, and I had my medical 2 weeks ago(passed that). I know I will be working at the Chingford Depot.

I should hear this week regarding a start date in June. So I may get to meet some of you.

congrats Jason, that's a long wait, but worth it I'm sure and presumably mostly down to the change of franchise. Hope training goes well for you. Very jealous and hope to join you one day. Sounds like us new applicants could have a while to wait before we hear anything. How do they initially feedback on the application, letter or email ?

How about some updates as you progress training, it's fascinating to read the blogs other trainee have provided.

shirleyd286

Well hopefully they won't take too long, surely can't take as long as FCC :D I am guessing they will write once a decision has been made?

david_VI

I just thought of something. I didn't expect it to take months until I looked into it.

I'm supposed to be moving around late June, so i'm worried I may miss the letter if it takes that long..

Is there anything I can do about this?

David

GadgetMan

I just thought of something. I didn't expect it to take months until I looked into it.

I'm supposed to be moving around late June, so i'm worried I may miss the letter if it takes that long..

David

You could ring Greater Anglia and tell them.

You could pay Royal mail to set up mail forwarding, the problem is you don't know how long it is likely to be before Greater Anglia contact you.

If you know who's moving in you could ask them to forward letters once a month or something in a large envelope at your cost.

Or you could keep an eye on here for when others mention getting letters and you could try and chase Greater Anglia HR at that time.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

David

Easiest (though perhaps not the cheapest) would be to tell the Royal Mail to forward your mail to the new address and then if needs be you can update GA about your home address. You can find out more here.

shirleyd286

I know its nearly 99% a premature question and only 9 days since the application date closed, but anyone heard anything from GA?

Class_317

I heard some relevant news on the radio (Heart Essex) this morning...

The owners of Stansted airport and local authorities are placing pressure on Greater Anglia to run a 30 minute service from Liverpool Street to Stansted, aswell as more trains on the line...

Does anyone know which depot(s) the Stansted Express is run from?

Bishops Stortford maybe? <D

EDIT:
News articles:
http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/braintree_witham_news/9653540.Essex__Calls_to_slash_Stansted_travel_times/

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2012-04-16/stansted-airport-campaign-to-cut-rail-times/

There is a Financial Times article too, but you need to register to see it, so I elected to leave it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.