• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia are recruiting Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shirleyd286

spoke to someone I know in GA who in turn spoke to GA HR, candidates can start to recieve yay or nay to being shortlisted in about 2 weeks time...don't hold me to that though :lol:

Pezza

I have received in the post today an invitation to the first stage of the selection process on Wed 2nd May in Stratford. It says it will involve a number of exercises including tests and a structured interview. Very excited and a week of preparation now begins. They have provided a practice booklet to work through in advance but any info or help on what to prepare for would be much appreciated.

Anyone else also receive one today?

slick

I heard some relevant news on the radio (Heart Essex) this morning...

The owners of Stansted airport and local authorities are placing pressure on Greater Anglia to run a 30 minute service from Liverpool Street to Stansted, aswell as more trains on the line...

Does anyone know which depot(s) the Stansted Express is run from?

Bishops Stortford maybe? <D

EDIT:
News articles:
http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/braintree_witham_news/9653540.Essex__Calls_to_slash_Stansted_travel_times/

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2012-04-16/stansted-airport-campaign-to-cut-rail-times/

There is a Financial Times article too, but you need to register to see it, so I elected to leave it out.

That will be interesting to see how they would do that. Currently when driving a stansted express service your already pushing slower services out of the way into loops at broxbourne and harlow town and catching up to a cambridge by the time you reach bishops stortford and clear the junction for the airport only a few minutes later. It wouldnt be able to happen without some serious modifications to other services...(dreams of up and down fast lines between cheshunt and stortford haha) :)

Stansted express isnt exactly run by a specific depot but bishops stortford depot carry the majority of airport runs.

MR_P

Pezza :

No reply yet,

Will be checking tomorrow ! shame I gotta wait till I get home, did the example booklet include mechanical test?

Pezza

Pezza :

No reply yet,

Will be checking tomorrow ! shame I gotta wait till I get home, did the example booklet include mechanical test?

Yes there is a mechanical comprehension test in the booklet, 8 question to practice on and states the test on the day will be 36 questions lasting 18 minutes.

bezzer

Yes there is a mechanical comprehension test in the booklet, 8 question to practice on and states the test on the day will be 36 questions lasting 18 minutes.

Well done to those who have passed. Are you sure you need to do mechanical test. I received it when i did the assessment a year ago with NXEA as it was then (before Greater Anglia took over) and I didn't have to do the test in the end. Just Group Bourdon, Trainability test and fault finding test.

But that mayt of all changed with the new companym though it appears tpo be same HR people.

I start training tomorrow as a train driver. So over time may see some of you at the academy. Wierd process, because at the end of the tests you sit and wait in reception. Then the HR person comes out with a paper in her hand and calls a name. That person goes in and a few minutes later is poutting on their coat and leaving past all the other candidates. Then a few minutes later the HR person comes out again and calls another name. You just never knew whether then next time the HR person came out were they going to call another name or say the rest of you had past. Took about an hour after the tests. bit like the weakest link and the walk of shame!!

Pezza

Are you sure you need to do mechanical test. I received it when i did the assessment a year ago with NXEA as it was then (before Greater Anglia took over) and I didn't have to do the test in the end. Just Group Bourdon, Trainability test and fault finding test.

Really no idea bezzer, but just going by the practice test booklet which states that the following are included at the assessment centre;

The Mechanical Comprehension Test (MT4/MT4.1)
The Trainability for Rules and Procedures Test (TRP)
The concentration test (Group Bourdon)
The reaction and co-ordination test (DTG)

good luck with the training, how long was it from when you passed assessment until now that you are starting training?

bezzer

No fault finding test then? Very confusing.

The process moves quite quickly. I had my assessment on the 6th January and was offered the job to start on the 17th February. I couldn;t accept the job at that time but all your assessment, interviews stay valid for 2 years. So by chance a vacancy came up at Bishop Stortford, they contacted me and offered me the job which I accepted immediately.

Pezza

No fault finding test then?

There is also a booklet in the pack called "the driver fault finding test (DFFT)" it just doesn't mention it in the list of exercises to be taken in train driver assessment booklet. So I presume it will also be part of the day but just find it odd that it isn't mentioned in the list of tests

Class_317

That will be interesting to see how they would do that. Currently when driving a stansted express service your already pushing slower services out of the way into loops at broxbourne and harlow town and catching up to a cambridge by the time you reach bishops stortford and clear the junction for the airport only a few minutes later. It wouldnt be able to happen without some serious modifications to other services...(dreams of up and down fast lines between cheshunt and stortford haha) :)

Stansted express isnt exactly run by a specific depot but bishops stortford depot carry the majority of airport runs.

:lol: Yes... completely agree. So we'll just have to wait and see if it happens at all! Would be nice as it would mean more jobs. ;)

I have received in the post today an invitation to the first stage of the selection process on Wed 2nd May in Stratford. It says it will involve a number of exercises including tests and a structured interview. Very excited and a week of preparation now begins. They have provided a practice booklet to work through in advance but any info or help on what to prepare for would be much appreciated.

Anyone else also receive one today?

Congratulations on the first step :D I have also applied for this, haven't recieved a yes or a no... So still biting my nails to the bone. :lol:

Just out of interest; When did you send off the form?

Last edited:

Pezza

Congratulations on the first step :D I have also applied for this, haven't recieved a yes or a no... So still biting my nails to the bone. :lol:

Just out of interest; When did you send off the form?

I send it off on the Wednesday 4th to make sure it arrived before easter. How about you? Was you thinking earlier applicants may be responded to sooner? Best of luck to you with receiving a yes from them.

MR_P

I sent mine off on the 4th as well but I've had no reply.
It might be they are responding to applicants who put down Bishops Stortford first? I applied for Cambridge.

Class_317

I send it off on the Wednesday 4th to make sure it arrived before easter. How about you? Was you thinking earlier applicants may be responded to sooner? Best of luck to you with receiving a yes from them.

Thank you for the kind words. :D

I sent mine off on the Monday that week via royal mail signed for. It was confirmed recieved by GA on the Thursday before the long weekend. I was interested to know how they are getting through the applications whether its top of the pile first ;) And yes I falsely assumed that you'd applied earlier possibly in the NXEA days. Atleast they seem to be replying swifly. I can take comfort in the knowledge that they let you know either way faster than some other TOCs.

shirleyd286

Hopefully will hear (good news) from them soon, nothing in the post today....:lol:

They recieved my recorded delivery application 3rd April for Cambridge depot so wonder if it is a depot by depot sift. As people have said at least they are being far more prompt with thier yes/no's. Got to give them credit for that :)

Best of luck to you all and I hope the postie brings good news in the coming weeks

Gareth43

I hand delivered mine, good excuse for a day out I guess, I am amazed at how quickly they are moving considering other TOC'S relaxed approach.

I have not heard a yey or ney as of yet but good luck to those that have:)

deano1974

Am gutted, no letter!
Would have presumed that if it was a yes, i would have got it by now especially when some received as early as tue/wed of this week.
Passed all the tests previously with c2c, didnt make it through managers interview!
Congrats and good luck to all that have got their letters!!

Gareth43

Nope not heard as of yet, however no news is good news as they say, until I get an email saying I have been unsuccessful I am not worried. ;)

shirleyd286

Thats a bit defeatest, they may well be doing depot by depot, no-one who applied for cambs has heard yet. Keep the faith...

bezzer

When I went for the assessment day last year in January with NXEA it was people who had applied for different depots. They did not assess all those who wanted Bishop Stortford then all those who wanted Cambridge etc. It was a mix. So don;t resd too much into that.

But maybe they have changed the process. They did have a whole week of assessments though when I did mine so it may still happen for some of you.

Gareth43

Doubt we will hear anything now if assessments on Wednesday. Unlucky guys.

Until you get a rejection email then there is no point admitting defeat, they have assessments on Wednesday and the 10th who knows there may be more to follow.

shirleyd286

They should let you know, most people i know of getting a 'no' with a TOC have had letters/emails saying this. Usually so the candidate can ask for feedback etc. I shall be avidly checking the mail this week.....

Class_317

Come on people! Let's stay positive. :D

All I will say is that if you have not recieved a written rejection, the you are still in with a shout.

Whether or not you get the job, stay positive, keep calm and apply again... when vacancies crop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.