• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia are recruiting Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scally

Hi Laura

I'm thinking of applying for the position based in the Cambridge depot.
If you don't mind, can you please tell me what kind of company it's like to work for? And info on the salary for a driver and the shift pattern.

Any info would be much appreciated really. If they accept my application, it would be the first time I would attend an assessment day for trainee driver so a bit unsure of what I'd need to practice.

Kind regards

Dave.

slick

Hi Laura

I'm thinking of applying for the position based in the Cambridge depot.
If you don't mind, can you please tell me what kind of company it's like to work for? And info on the salary for a driver and the shift pattern.

Any info would be much appreciated really. If they accept my application, it would be the first time I would attend an assessment day for trainee driver so a bit unsure of what I'd need to practice.

Kind regards

Dave.

Hello Dave

As a driver for greater anglia I can give you a bit of insight. Greater anglia are still a very young company, so its difficult to give a true opinion of their operations, most things are still exactly the same including timetables, drivers diagrams from the nxea days. The trainee salary is as advertised. This rises to £30,000 roughly upon completion of your exams and qualified. You'll be on this for one year, known as the PQA period. After that year, another annual summary then you'll get the full whack of £39,005 although the has now risen to £40,565.

Of the three west anglia depots there is a bit of banter between the depots insinuating cambridge drivers have it easy, but its silly really because we all have jobs the cover most of the routes. Cambridge drivers will obviously cover most of the london to cambridges, bishops stortford the stansted expresses, and us chingford guys the chingford, enfield, cheshunt branches. Hertford easts seem to be distrubuted mainly between chingford and stortford depots. The Cambridge drivers 'sign' (drive over) the London Liverpool Street to Cambridge, Enfield, Chingford, Hertford East, Stansted airport and also down to stratford via temple mills (including orient way sidings) and also up to kings lynn from cambridge. Cambridge do not go to sign to ilford depot although chingford and stortford do.

Shifts you can expect week blocks of earlies, lates and nights, although you can swap shifts with any drivers. You can pretty much stick to what shifts you like providing you can find someone to swap with. Its a good company to drive for in my opinion. You get a nice mixture of inner suburban, semifast, and express work. We drive 3 different types of train, class 315, 317 and 379. Longest cambridge job is 10 hours (as required) longest driving job is 9h55min shortest is 7hrs.

In terms of the training http://http://www.traindriver.org/ tells you everything. If you go into trainee drivers blog on that site even tells you the full story of a trainee when greater anglia was "one" railway. So the structure will be very similar to that blog. Good luck!

shirleyd286

Great bit of advice Slick, Thank you! Have applied for Cambridge depot. And that blog is a fantastic read :)

scally

Slick, you're a superstar!

Thats a great insight fella and is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Dave.

slick

Great post Slick :)

Could you possibly explain how the roster works regarding Rest Days/Sundays etc?

Certainly, its a four day 35 hr week, based on a roster moving down a line each week, which is good because providing you just follow the roster you can fill out your diary and know what you doing for the whole year. Sundays you can opt out of working and providing they can cover it you can have it off. Usually there are plenty of people who want sundays extra so its not a problem but if they cant cover it, you work it. Bank holidays worked you can either cash the money or have a lieu day. Both bank holidays and sundays are at an enhanced rate. They try to keep rest days together, although occasionally you can have odd ones during the week. Every few lines you have fri sat off and mon tue off of the following week, also known as a long weekend. Hope this answers your question! :)

bezzer

Hi Slick,

Is that 4 on 2 off

Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi Dave,

When I did my assessments they sent through practice materials for the tests that you had to do so at least you attend the assessment day well prepared.

The assessment say is not too strenuous if you have practiced things, have good concentration, good memory, can think throuigh things logically (fault finding test) and have good co-ordination. (Bop it's are good for that).

The day is a bit surreal. You do 3/4 tests in the morning then you wait around whilst they mark the assessments. Then one by one they call you in if you have failed to meet the standard and you have to walk out back through everyone else who is waiting. Each time an HR person comes out you think is your n ame going to be called!!

Anyway you just have to try and relax and do your best.

Iain

deano1974

I am now working through their application form, but am losing the plot!!
The things they ask actually make you put an incorrect answer in? Exactly the same as lorol's on line testing!
I know that they are looking for you to put something specific, but????

shirleyd286

I am now working through their application form, but am losing the plot!!
The things they ask actually make you put an incorrect answer in? Exactly the same as lorol's on line testing!
I know that they are looking for you to put something specific, but????

For the passages a quick bit of research on GA and Abellio's websites reveal the information. The tick boxes are about personal choice really. The scenario based questions seem to check you understand the role is about working safely and to the rules. I took several attempts at my application over 2 days. Good luck

deano1974

For the passages a quick bit of research on GA and Abellio's websites reveal the information. The tick boxes are about personal choice really. The scenario based questions seem to check you understand the role is about working safely and to the rules. I took several attempts at my application over 2 days. Good luck

Cheers, struggling with the training "circle the mistakes" section, cant seem to locate that info anywhere!
Good luck to you too!!!

theking

Not being funny fella but the training bit was common sense and if you've been on here a while and read about the role and training it's easy.

deano1974

Not being funny fella but the training bit was common sense and if you've been on here a while and read about the role and training it's easy.

Im new on here, today in fact.
Common sense dosent seem to figure, they state that safety is top priority then make you make 2 decisions where on 1 safety is comprimised.
I fully understand what you are saying though

shirleyd286

Circle the mistakes. The paragraph on the company- all the bits are on the GA and Abellio website. As for the training bit, its about safety, and the course lasts around 12 months. Should help!

theking

Im new on here, today in fact.
Common sense dosent seem to figure, they state that safety is top priority then make you make 2 decisions where on 1 safety is comprimised.
I fully understand what you are saying though

Sorry hope it didnt come across as rude.

I could tell you what number order I put the scenario based questions in but i think the whole point of the questions is to see what you would do.

On my overground application I ticked everything I thought they'd want to hear but was unsuccessful at that application so to be honest I don't even know what they want!

deano1974

Thanks for your help.
Just asked a driver who works for them, he seemed lost and said its pot luck!
Ahh well, what will be will be!

Class_317

Hello all! This is my first post here, what a great forum this is, so much friendly advice and useful information. I am one of the floods of people that are looking to get into a driver role and have found this place a godsend.

On another note, I have applied for this role as well. My application was posted via first class signed for on Tuesday and arrived with them today, so fingers crossed.

Not sure if anyone spotted this but; on the vacancy got advertised on Indeed.co.uk yesterday, that seems a little strange considering the closing date is Tuesday especially considering that it needs to be posted too.

Less applications than they expected maybe?

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Not sure if anyone spotted this but; on the vacancy got advertised on Indeed.co.uk yesterday, that seems a little strange considering the closing date is Tuesday especially considering that it needs to be posted too.

Less applications than they expected maybe?

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Deano1974 too!

I work in recruitment, albeit in a non railway capacity. Third party website often pick up our vacancies and put them on their own websites without any request to do so.

I would think that vacancies for drivers would be very popular, they seem to be everywhere else, so I doubt that the appearance of the vacancy on Indeed.co.uk is down to a shortage of applications!

Class_317

Thanks for clearing that up, I suppose it would be silly to assume that they needed to re-advertise due to lack of interest.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks for clearing that up, I suppose it would be silly to assume that they needed to re-advertise due to lack of interest.

I imagine they would merely extend the closing date a little if they were really short of applications.

Pezza

Hi all, good luck to those applying. I'm also applying and sitting here as I type filling in the application form.

Does anyone know if I want to apply for more than one depot, so for Bishops Stortford and Chingford should I be submitting two separate application forms or just state both locations in the 'position applied for' box?

thanks,
Pezza

Class_317

Hi all, good luck to those applying. I'm also applying and sitting here as I type filling in the application form.

Does anyone know if I want to apply for more than one depot, so for Bishops Stortford and Chingford should I be submitting two separate application forms or just state both locations in the 'position applied for' box?

thanks,
Pezza

I have put Stortford as my first choice, and will consider Chingford. Both in the same box if that helps.

robby p

Firstly good luck guys! I'm based at Bishops Stortford depot so any questions you would like to ask please fire away, I can try my best with Chingford/Cambridge questions too. My advice is consider which depot you want, I believe they have a max distance policy but mainly if you can get to a depot by train all the better, but also taking into consideration how you will get to/from 05:00 starts and 01:30 finishes. Seems a bit petty but with fuel prices always going up it makes all the difference. I can't remember exactly but I believe once you reach driver manager interviews you must choose which depot and stick with it. It's only a rumour going around so please don't take it as gospel but I've heard their looking for 12 drivers, I'm not sure how they'll be shared out.

GadgetMan

With the closing date being Tuesday, does it now mean anyone wishing to apply will have to hand deliver the application as it's now too late to post using RM???

If so, does anyone know if Greater Anglia head office have a post box accessible when the place is shut??

Class_317

Firstly good luck guys! I'm based at Bishops Stortford depot so any questions you would like to ask please fire away, I can try my best with Chingford/Cambridge questions too. My advice is consider which depot you want, I believe they have a max distance policy but mainly if you can get to a depot by train all the better, but also taking into consideration how you will get to/from 05:00 starts and 01:30 finishes. Seems a bit petty but with fuel prices always going up it makes all the difference. I can't remember exactly but I believe once you reach driver manager interviews you must choose which depot and stick with it. It's only a rumour going around so please don't take it as gospel but I've heard their looking for 12 drivers, I'm not sure how they'll be shared out.

Thanks for that, will definitely take you up on that if I am successful. lol

Going by that rumor 12 sounds so little an amount for vacancies across 3 sites.

I have a question already; would you say that in the NX days that the management were safety over being on time? And are safety checks on the trains ever skipped?

With the closing date being Tuesday, does it now mean anyone wishing to apply will have to hand deliver the application as it's now too late to post using RM???

If so, does anyone know if Greater Anglia head office have a post box accessible when the place is shut??

I sent mine on Monday and it was only delivered today (In an earlier post I said Tuesday, then realised it was actually monday when I looked at my post office reciept :roll:).

I can't answer the part about the post box, but it would be wise to hand deliver it, or maybe same day document courier it to them if you can't get it there yourself.

robby p

12 sounds alot to me, when I become a trainee they took on 6 of us, 4 for Chingford and 2 for Stortford but like I said just a rumour at the moment.

Safety always comes first whatever company, timekeeping is important as they lose money when your late but safety, safety, safety.
Train preps must never be skipped under any circumstance, you will never be penalised for running late because of it, you must not rush it, we are always told to never rush, especially when late.

Pezza

Thanks for the offer for questions robby p, great to converse with an existing driver. It would be amazing to join you at Stortford one day. There are some many questions I'd like to ask but probably should fill in the questionnaire myself :D. Only kidding. The questions are fairly common sense with safety in mind and the company info can all be found on the websites. I'm just struggling with the 'what do you consider to be your three main development areas?' question, just can't come up with anything that doesn't feel like it would jeopardise the application.

Anyone else still completing the form ready for posting by special delivery tomorrow? I'm on the 3rd version at the moment getting the handwriting perfect, those boxes to complete details of your previous jobs are sooo small!

david_VI

I am applying for this also.

I caught it a bit late however, but i'm assuming if I can post it recorded delivery/next day guaranteed on Saturday it should get there for Tues?

I hope so anyhow!

Edit: An extra thing.. I don't drive and live in Colchester, is it unlikely I can get this job considering that? I was hoping to use the trains. I am due to move so would consider moving for this job as its what i've been after for a long time!

Last edited:

GadgetMan

I am applying for this also.

I caught it a bit late however, but i'm assuming if I can post it recorded delivery/next day guaranteed on Saturday it should get there for Tues?

I hope so anyhow!

Edit: An extra thing.. I don't drive and live in Colchester, is it unlikely I can get this job considering that? I was hoping to use the trains. I am due to move so would consider moving for this job as its what i've been after for a long time!

As long as you can demonstrate you are able to reach your depot at any time of the morning/night then I don't see a problem. You would need some sort of personal transport, as you don't drive then I would suggest you would need to relocate to a place that is either within reasonable walking or cycling distance.

Relying on public transport alone would cause problems on days/times when there are no buses/trains running or in times of known delays/cancellations.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
I was struggling to do my 3 main development areas and was SO close to just putting:
1. Self Criticism

but I stopped myself :P

Good luck to those applying. The vacancy mentions that job offers could be subject to relocation. With that in mind, I've applied for all 3 and don't really have a preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.