• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Bombardier Aventras (Class 720): Technical discussion and introduction

Saw one of these heading North out of Ely at 11:30 today. Looked quite good. Can't say which one, it passed over the level crossing just as I was approaching.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Saw one of these heading North out of Ely at 11:30 today. Looked quite good. Can't say which one, it passed over the level crossing just as I was approaching.

Probably 509 as I believe thats the only one allowed out for testing purposes.

Railperf

Established Member
I'm hearing June is being hoped for as service start date for 720's. But the big question surrounds driver training at the moment. I guess it is possible to train drivers via the internet or in a ventilated classroom 2 or more metres apart. But how will they manage in-cab supervision.
Not sure you can stay 2m from the person in the drivers seat unless they insist on everyone wearing masks. Would the unions permit that? Unlikely. How do they manage testing - surely the test driver needs a route conductor??

Shunter_69

All training is currently suspended and trainee drivers are being told to stay at home for the time being. Pretty sure this will include new train training too. Not ideal but public health has to be the priority.

Alfie1014

There’s an interview in this month’s Modern Railways (April) with Jamie Burles about future plans. Of course this was done before Coronavirus really hit but even so the latest plans were introduction of 720s on Southend Vic line from this autumn with full fleet roll out by 2022. But with Bombardier at Derby closed like most manufacturing one wonders whether this will slip further. The article goes on to say that they were pretty confident of a WA timetable rewrite in December 2021 with the GE possibly at the same time but more likely in 2022. That said post COVID-19 I would imagine everything is up for grabs if there is a long term fall in (peak) demand due to more homeworking, the economics of railway operation as we know it may well need rebasing. The GA Franchise may find itself with new trains it no longer has a real use for? Previous downturns have hit Stansted Airport really hard with recovery taking many years, four 12 car trains an hour could well be massive over provision for example. More interesting times ahead once this has all died down me thinks!

F Great Eastern

Established Member
There’s an interview in this month’s Modern Railways (April) with Jamie Burles about future plans. Of course this was done before Coronavirus really hit but even so the latest plans were introduction of 720s on Southend Vic line from this autumn with full fleet roll out by 2022. But with Bombardier at Derby closed like most manufacturing one wonders whether this will slip further. The article goes on to say that they were pretty confident of a WA timetable rewrite in December 2021 with the GE possibly at the same time but more likely in 2022. That said post COVID-19 I would imagine everything is up for grabs if there is a long term fall in (peak) demand due to more homeworking, the economics of railway operation as we know it may well need rebasing. The GA Franchise may find itself with new trains it no longer has a real use for? Previous downturns have hit Stansted Airport really hard with recovery taking many years, four 12 car trains an hour could well be massive over provision for example. More interesting times ahead once this has all died down me thinks!

Funny you should post this - I've just hinted at this in the other thread.

There's new blood in the operations department of Abellio Rail, ex FGE Managing Director Dave Kaye is now COO taking responsibility for fleet management and I wonder if he has had any say in this, as he was never one to rush things. The time-frame does seem rather more realistic than previous ones which we have seen, certainly but it does hanker a question of what happens between the 360/379 trains leaving and the new stock coming in, post coronavirus.

hwl

Established Member
Derby has already built half the Anglia 5car units, the big issue was the software. Hence it should be reality quick to get a good number in service.

New GE TT is reliant on LST platform rebuild which aligns with Crossrail.

If there is over capacity the silly flipdown vestibules seat in the 720s could easily be removed :)
Many on here reckoned that Abellio hadn't ordered enough stock.

EssexGonzo

I'm taking any talk of a downturn leading to over-capacity with a pinch of salt.

If we imagine that there will be a medium-term impact on passenger numbers (working from home, shrunk economy etc) this still doesn't undermine the provision of the new stock which will have a shelf life of 30+ years. Things may be quiet for a few years but it won't take long for us to get back on the growth curve. I mean, just imagine being able to cope with expected passenger growth over the next 5-10 years let alone the next year or two. (or even the last year or two!). Isn't that how strategic planning should work?

supervc-10

Absolutely agree @EssexGonzo. This is undoubtedly have a big impact on passenger numbers, but not forever. These are trains bought for 30 years of use. In 15 years time they'll be full and standing. London is going to continue to grow, and the areas that GA serve in the commuter belt are going to continue to increase in density.

Shunter_69

Checking the electronics on the train don’t interfere with the signalling system at the moment. Being driven by a combination of GBRF and Ilford drivers I believe.

Bringback309s

It appears so.
Be interesting to see when two are in together how closely the ends of the up carriages hang out near the swing in for the down unit. Am I right in assuming the bogies on the 720's are positioned slightly nearer the centre of the carriage so the platform gaps aren't worsened so much?

theking

One was around Stratford this afternoon looked good not sure why they had to make the valance around the coupler a different shade of grey to the body.

Bringback309s

One was around Stratford this afternoon looked good not sure why they had to make the valance around the coupler a different shade of grey to the body.
Back on the Clacton and Harwich branches. Timings show the 720's to be doing well...

Bringback309s

Does anyone know how 720 testing is going? There appear to be several 5Q's on the GEML today, some shown as electric locomotive, some 755 on electric and some 720. Looking at past 720 timings, they seem to complete and on time, often turning around faster than timed. Is this looking like a promising start for the 720's?

VicH

Does anyone know how 720 testing is going? There appear to be several 5Q's on the GEML today, some shown as electric locomotive, some 755 on electric and some 720. Looking at past 720 timings, they seem to complete and on time, often turning around faster than timed. Is this looking like a promising start for the 720's?

Only 720509 being tested on 5Q01 etc, the rest of the 5Q's are 745's. 5Q81,5Q25,5Q73,5Q29 ran today

LAX54

Established Member
Only 720509 being tested on 5Q01 etc, the rest of the 5Q's are 745's. 5Q81,5Q25,5Q73,5Q29 ran today

The lower 5Q number 01 / 02 / 3 etc are the 720's and the higher numbers are the 755/745 trips

chubs

Looks like 720509 has broken down just outside Hatfield Peverel. Doesn't seem good for the testing program.

Why not? If it's only one breakdown it seems great for the testing program.

Surely the whole point of testing is to get any issues identified and resolved?

ginger

If anyone remembers the 360 roll out back in 2003/4 then it was carnage for a while.....this one single failure seems a walk in the park compared to that! Give them a chance it will all settle down! Just my own view....

LAX54

Established Member
Looks like 720509 has broken down just outside Hatfield Peverel. Doesn't seem good for the testing program.
Anyone got any info about it or the fault?

Well, it's the first time it has failed in our neck of the Woods, well close anyway, it s been to Norwich, Harwich, Clacton, Colchester Town a few times over the past few weeks, with no issues at all.

dk1

Veteran Member
If anyone remembers the 360 roll out back in 2003/4 then it was carnage for a while.....this one single failure seems a walk in the park compared to that! Give them a chance it will all settle down! Just my own view....
So very true. Had some interesting & elongated delays during those trials. All good fun :lol:

D365

Veteran Member

That can't be true, anything Siemens built has to have a 100% reliability record :D