• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Bombardier Aventras (Class 720): Technical discussion and introduction

Wivenswold

Established Member
The train definitely made me less fearful of the inevitable Aventra takeover of the South East.
It rather feels like BR days, we're all getting the same product but in different configurations and with a small selection of front-end designs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

southern442

Established Member
It rather feels like BR days, we're all getting the same product but in different configurations and with a small selection of front-end designs.
They very much are the successor to the Mk3-derived designs in that regard, perhaps more so than other families of units.

EssexGonzo

Standardisation = efficiency. Fewer operational decisions to be made. :D It might actually be a deliberately sensible strategy......?;)

RealTrains07

Established Member
I would argue the Electrostar was similar in that regard. Given that the Aventra is the successor to the Electrostar, it makes sense.
True but not if the 720s resulted in electrostars being scrapped but in this case they will find new work easily

adc82140

Established Member
All gone a bit quiet on this thread. I presume they are now bedding in to service well. Have any others been accepted lately, or are we still at 18 units?

Kite159

Veteran Member
I had to laugh on Saturday when I took a couple between Stratford & Shenfield when they advertised connections at Romford as "Elizabeth Line" rather than TfL Rail.

EssexGonzo

Had my first trip on a 720 last week from Shenfield to Liverpool Street, about time after having seen them around from bridges etc since last year. Compared to the 321s, as one would expect, very nice. The aisle is a tad narrow and the seats also, but this is still a commuter train rather than a long distance affair. Having said that, the ride comfort, relative silence and lack of swaying and pitching are second to none.

Being able to walk through the train unhindered is also a benefit.

Balance was restored with a 321 home. What a difference!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I would argue the Electrostar was similar in that regard. Given that the Aventra is the successor to the Electrostar, it makes sense.
it's not quite a 1:1 mapping, but the Electrostars roughly replaced mark 1s, the Aventras are replacing Mark 3s.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Had my first trip on a 720 last week from Shenfield to Liverpool Street, about time after having seen them around from bridges etc since last year. Compared to the 321s, as one would expect, very nice. The aisle is a tad narrow and the seats also, but this is still a commuter train rather than a long distance affair. Having said that, the ride comfort, relative silence and lack of swaying and pitching are second to none.

Being able to walk through the train unhindered is also a benefit.

Balance was restored with a 321 home. What a difference!
If there is one thing that most confuses me about the railway is the concept of a “commuter” train. It’s almost as if the railway has this conception that a “commuter” train is one devoid of any kind of comfort at all. The railway is going to struggle to get to the levels of passenger numbers it had before. IMO the “pack em in” philosophy is going to have to change.

Domk

Observed a 720 (but too far away for exact number) passing through Meridian Water towards Tottenham Hale at around 9:20am (19/5/21)

EssexGonzo

If there is one thing that most confuses me about the railway is the concept of a “commuter” train. It’s almost as if the railway has this conception that a “commuter” train is one devoid of any kind of comfort at all. The railway is going to struggle to get to the levels of passenger numbers it had before. IMO the “pack em in” philosophy is going to have to change.

In my head, “commuter” =

• 3 + 2 seating (anything else is luxury)
  • Large standing vestibules
  • Relatively short journey - < 1 hour mainly.
  • Yes - pack ‘em in.
Only because that’s been my life for a couple of decades.

Mikey C

Established Member
In my head, “commuter” =

• 3 + 2 seating (anything else is luxury)
  • Large standing vestibules
  • Relatively short journey - < 1 hour mainly.
  • Yes - pack ‘em in.
Only because that’s been my life for a couple of decades.
Or even worse

narrow 2 + 2 seating with a massive aisle to maximise standing room or
longitudinal seating, as on the Overground trains that operate to Cheshunt and Watford Junction

Railperf

Established Member
Not many trains showing as 10-car out of Liverpool Street in the next hour. Only the 11.36 to Colchester Town!!
More Southend diagrams still running 321s than 720's .
11.15 and 11.55 services from Southend Airport to Liverpool Street showing as 10-car .

Alfie1014

Not many trains showing as 10-car out of Liverpool Street in the next hour. Only the 11.36 to Colchester Town!!
More Southend diagrams still running 321s than 720's .
11.15 and 11.55 services from Southend Airport to Liverpool Street showing as 10-car .
They do seem to be suffering from shortage of stock at the moment, the 17:02 Liv St to Ipswich was reported as only a 4 car this evening and F&S. Also the Colchester stop in this trains is not showing up as a public call causing more confusion on CIS etc.. Too many 321s off to the scrappers and not enough 720s coming into replace them?

Railperf

Established Member
They do seem to be suffering from shortage of stock at the moment, the 17:02 Liv St to Ipswich was reported as only a 4 car this evening and F&S. Also the Colchester stop in this trains is not showing up as a public call causing more confusion on CIS etc.. Too many 321s off to the scrappers and not enough 720s coming into replace them?
Definitley seems to be a shortage of 720's. Is this due to units being unavailable or not enough drivers signing them?

Shunter_69

I assumed there were more about, looked that way earlier in the week. We’ve certainly got more diagrams with them.

Maybe a few issues today?

Domh245

Established Member

I was on the 17:02 yesterday (20/05) - and it was 2x 321 renatus, and the Colchester stop was included on the CIS at Liverpool street (and on journey planners, etc). There was mention of a divide at Colchester but it seemed like both units went on to Ipswich. There were some standees in my carriage, but that's mostly because of the social distancing being observed with seating

I did spot a few 720s parked up along the way, so perhaps a driver training issue. There's certainly no shortage of 720s stored awaiting delivery (worksop) - if GA were short of stock but in a position to use more 720s, we'd have seen more deliveries surely

Bringback309s

There have been what I suspect are 720 training runs to Thorpe Le Soken, and then some have been cancelled. Passenger services on the Clacton and Walton line have been mainly operated by some pretty rough non-renatus 321's in the last week or two

Railperf

Established Member
Very few 720s seem to be out this afternoon too. My usual Southend service is 8 cars today. So 321 time!

mtmikethom

I don't think it's my eyesight but I thought I saw a 720 on the 1959 Manningtree-Harwich Town, aahh my mistake it was a 755....

Last edited:

Wivenswold

Established Member
The Stadler's invasion of Essex continues apace. Clacton awaits its Pullman only 745/2s. Unless they're thinking of fitting pantos on 442s now. Who knows anything these days? I don't, probably.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
so what's the current fleet status? How many used in service, how close to all drivers being trained?