• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

greater anglia: class 156 and 153

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
As SprinterMan says it is a little up in the air. Norwich Cambridge 'should' always be 3 car 170s but 2 car 170s do happen and 156s too (although that is rarer).

The East Suffolk line is scheduled as a mix of 170s (2 and 3 car) and 156/3s and Ipswich Cambridge/Peterborough is normally 170s.

But yea, anything seems to go at the moment, I had a 3 car 170 to Sheringham yesterday, which is very rare.

You had a 3 car 170 to Sheringham? I didn't even know that was possible. WOW!

Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
It is but its a b'tard to work. Gunton and Roughton Road are too short for a 3 car and then at Cromer we need to lock the rear (front on leaving SHM) carriage out of use. Hence why 3 cars to Sheringham are exceedingly rare.

anglia.rail

It is but its a b'tard to work. Gunton and Roughton Road are too short for a 3 car and then at Cromer we need to lock the rear (front on leaving SHM) carriage out of use. Hence why 3 cars to Sheringham are exceedingly rare.

Did any passengers have to move carriage when they locked the rear car at former?

TheEdge

Established Member
Not in this incidence but any passengers in there have to be moved and no one can go in there before it returns back to Cromer for fire regulations reasons.

pjnathanail

Not in this incidence but any passengers in there have to be moved and no one can go in there before it returns back to Cromer for fire regulations reasons.

Would it not be easier to lock it OOU for the whole journey, or does capacity not allow for this?

TheEdge

Established Member
Would it not be easier to lock it OOU for the whole journey, or does capacity not allow for this?

Not really as it does add capacity and as far as Cromer the problem is easily solved by door deselecting.

It was peak time but not busy peak time (0715 NRW-SHM, 0823 SHM-NRW) and it wasn't all that busy, although that may have been an illusion of the same number of passengers but spread over a larger train.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Not really as it does add capacity and as far as Cromer the problem is easily solved by door deselecting.

It was peak time but not busy peak time (0715 NRW-SHM, 0823 SHM-NRW) and it wasn't all that busy, although that may have been an illusion of the same number of passengers but spread over a larger train.

So why can't door deselect be used at West Runton and Sheringham? Isn't West Runton a three car platform anyway?

I would hardly call 0715 a peak in terms of loading, might not be off peak ticketing wise* but ;) I missed out on a decent run on that 3 car then with 2S08 being my haunt at the moment!!

Edit to add : * - Of course, trains are not either 'peak' or 'off-peak' however on flows between Norwich and Sheringham, the off peak ticket holds restriction B6 which makes them valid after 0815.

TP

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
West Runton is 3 car, probably even 4 car.

I think (key word) it has something to do with the risk of the deselect turning off when changing ends at Sheringham. I'd call the 0715 a peak train, given it is. And then you see how busy the 0823 is and tell me it isn't a peak train, loading wise anyway (even though its actually off peak)

anglia.rail

I think (key word) it has something to do with the risk of the deselect turning off when changing ends at Sheringham. I'd call the 0715 a peak train, given it is. And then you see how busy the 0823 is and tell me it isn't a peak train, loading wise anyway (even though its actually off peak)

I would actually class trains between 7-9 am and 5-8 pm peak times as this is when most people travel to work which are the majority of people who travel by rail.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

I'll send you a PM... on a slightly related note :smile:

Established Member
The East Suffolk Line has four diagrams on a Saturday, two of which are 156 and two of which are 170. It alternates between 156s and 170s, so for instance the 08:17 from Ipswich is a 156, 09:17 170, 10:17 156 etc. As I've previously mentioned, one of these is the unit which forms the 06:42 from Cambridge, this then works the 08:17 and stays on the East Suffolk for the rest of the day if I remember correctly.

Also, for the benefit of anyone trying to cop all four diagrams off without having to do full runs, I found that the two units of the same type pass between Saxmundham and Darsham, with one unit passing one of the other type at Beccles and between Westerfield and Woodbridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.