• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia diesel fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarethC

Does anybody know whether GA are particularly short of stock today (Friday 25th)?

They've canceled all the Felixstowe services due to "a train fault between Ipswich and Felixstowe" and are running busses instead. However looking at OTT Maps and RTT it looks like the fault is with a different unit that should have been running on the East Suffolk Line as the last train to run between Felixstowe and Ipswich (2R19) went on to form 2D84 1517 to Lowestoft.

I appreciate the DMU fleet is stretched on a normal day but interesting that they've chosen to bustitute Felixstowe rather than the East Suffolk (leaving that with trains every two hours compared to Felixstowe with none).

Does anybody know which unit failed?

Thanks,
Gareth

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HLE

Established Member
I daresay a bus replacement would be more difficult to organise on the East Suffolk than the Felixstowe's.

Assume a 153/156 has conked with the replacement being the 153 that works the Felixstowe's

GA are still short of diesels.

Z12XE

Fault on a 170 earlier led to a shuffle which saw the FLX unit coming off those services and dropping onto that diagram.

the Felixstowe service is the easiest to bus

GarethC

Thanks for the info. It looks like either the suffle continues or another unit has been found as service is resuming at 18.58 (though a Peterborough and return are cancelled).

I thought all the units were back at Crown Point, are there still some stopped for repairs?

Gareth

Felixstowe can be bussed using the A14 (missing out westerfield) which is relatively equivalent to the train service in terms of time. You would never get a bus to serve all stations on the East Suffolk in the same time even the archaically slow trains do!

Expect shortages until the new fleet arrives, interestingly it was 170204 that was involved in the Thetford collision that failed today I believe, that unit has regularly had issues since it has returned.

Z12XE

314 was like that as well continued altinator problems when it came back from its rebuilt after its swim

As for the FLX service restarting tonight, probably just playing the figures by putting the unit back on there, fewer cancellations, can stand the buses down and send PBO passengers via Cambridge.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
The four return MFO Yarmouth's ran today with 170273 & very well loaded they where too. Passengers where turned away from the 14:25dn. These usually succumb if there's a unit shortage as a standby bus sits at both Stations. The Felixstowe is easy to bus (at Westerfields expense) so makes sense to knock them on the head.

dk1

Veteran Member
170204 had engine problems whilst 170273 was refused due to defective cab air-con.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Presume they will struggle even more when the 2nd loco hauled set with 68s finishes soon.

On Moderation
Presume they will struggle even more when the 2nd loco hauled set with 68s finishes soon.

Shouldn't do as the 68s were retained after 170204 returned to cover the Class 156 WSP fitting programme.

chubs

Are both the loco hauled sets in use again?

The new fleet really cant come soon enough.

dp21

Are both the loco hauled sets in use again?

The new fleet really cant come soon enough.

I believe so. NC68 goes in a couple of weeks I think hence the railtour of a 68 top and tailing an intercity set.

Problem, I've been told, is that NC37 has been diagrammed into regular service and as such has reduced the operational contingency for which it was originally purposed.

dk1

Veteran Member
Both sets have been in use most of the last fortnight. Was only a short blip without the 37s due to awaiting a part. The reliability of the 68s has been amazing often going over & above it's booked diagram.

Z12XE

It's a pity that the 68s couldn't stay until after the leaf fall season as no doubt that will strain the DMU fleet.

The WSP on the 156s will help but that won't help the 153s

Tell the driver to open the window :roll:

Not possible with a 170 if you intend on going above 20mph, the buffeting noise is deafening, no chance of hearing the DSD go off. Oh and for putting up with all that noise you get treated to a tiny tiny breeze that actually makes it's way in.

dk1

Veteran Member
Not possible with a 170 if you intend on going above 20mph, the buffeting noise is deafening, no chance of hearing the DSD go off. Oh and for putting up with all that noise you get treated to a tiny tiny breeze that actually makes it's way in.

Oh it's not that bad. I did 4 return Yarmouth's non-stop last week with both windows down & 60mph most of the time. It seem certain depots have an issue with the cab air-con & I suppose you could argue that if it's there then it should work.

TheEdge

Established Member
Problem, I've been told, is that NC37 has been diagrammed into regular service and as such has reduced the operational contingency for which it was originally purposed.

Because the way it was being run originally (this is literally years ago, in fact I think the 37s have always been diagrammed, the 47s were as needed) was a nightmare to work out. It required a fair bit of juggling about to find both drivers and guards who signed it at short notice and many times planned runs never happened as one or neither could be found.

With its diagramming properly it can be crewed properly, planned for properly, and trains its diagrammed for can have their times altered to reflect their poorer performance than a DMU.

Oh it's not that bad. I did 4 return Yarmouth's non-stop last week with both windows down & 60mph most of the time. It seem certain depots have an issue with the cab air-con & I suppose you could argue that if it's there then it should work.

Yeah a fair point but with the 100mph sections on Peterborough's for example, combined with the long journey length, I can completely understand why they get refused.

I don't think it's a "certain depots" issue I've known drivers from every depot I've worked with refuse sets/units for that exact reason.

GarethC

Interesting replies, thanks everyone.

I had a conversation yesterday with someone who said it was "ridiculous" that there was only one carriage on the Felixstowe train on a bank holiday weekend (it wasn't that busy - that was at 10.28). They didn't like my response of "where would you like to reduce the number of carriages - Sheringham, Yarmouth or Lowestoft?" To which they said "they must have spare coaches somewhere" :roll: .

Can anybody share how many units are required to operate the timetable Monday to Friday? I've looked in the diagrams forum and tried to search but to no avail. From the responses it sounds like everything is needed with one failure causing cancellations?

Gareth

HLE

Established Member
From what I gather that last sentence is about right, in the peaks at least.

The other week I went past Crown Point depot and there wasn't a single diesel unit in the depot. Or so I could see. 2 153's were stabled in the centre road and jubilee sidings (?) at Norwich station and didn't move in four hours though. It seems to be the peaks that have most if not all units out and about.

GA don't hire the 37's and the 68's for nothing. Over here LM are blessed with an excess of units if compared to GA. Their 153's compared to ours just shows how rugged and ragged they have become.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I spied (crossing the bridge) 156s at Cambridge several times over the weekend- as far as I'm aware with full fleet availability it is usually only very early morning or very late evening services on the Ipswich route that sees anything other than a 170 booked.

TheEdge

Established Member
anybody share how many units are required to operate the timetable Monday to Friday? I've looked in the diagrams forum and tried to search but to no avail. From the responses it sounds like everything is needed with one failure causing cancellations?

23 local diagrams covered by 28 available units (including the 37 and 68s). Include standard stopped for exams and works and you don't have massive breathing room for failures. Especially bearing in mind there is always a 170 on C6 and normally a 156 having some upgrade work.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
That 28 being a motley collection of:
8 3 car 170
4 2 car 170
9 2 car 156
5 1 car 153
2 loco hauled sets

Obviously there's priorities- I think Norwich-Cambridge and Ipswich-Peterborough are top priority for 3 car 170? And that the loco sets are Wherry Lines only? So you've got an intensively used hodge podge fleet that isn't exactly inter-available

LowLevel

Established Member
That 28 being a motley collection of:
8 3 car 170
4 2 car 170
9 2 car 156
5 1 car 153
2 loco hauled sets

Obviously there's priorities- I think Norwich-Cambridge and Ipswich-Peterborough are top priority for 3 car 170? And that the loco sets are Wherry Lines only? So you've got an intensively used hodge podge fleet that isn't exactly inter-available

Ipswich - Peterborough is booked 2 car 170.

TheEdge

Established Member

All Norwich - Cambridge services are booked to be 3 car 170s except the 1940 ex-Norwich and return, which is booked a 2 car but often presents a 156.

The short sets are Norwich - Yarmouth and Norwich - Lowestoft only. Ideally they should stick to the Acle route, not meant to stop at Berney Arms.

dp21

I spied (crossing the bridge) 156s at Cambridge several times over the weekend- as far as I'm aware with full fleet availability it is usually only very early morning or very late evening services on the Ipswich route that sees anything other than a 170 booked.

I believe it's usually attempted for 170s to run services to Cambridge and Peterborough because of the line speed. There are often delays in the log with 156s vice 170s because they can't get up to the same speed as the 170s.

As has been mentioned, some 156s have been out with WSP work but I believe the last one is in being done/nearly finished and the 170 C6 programme is ongoing so there will always be slightly erratic availability especially with reliability being a bit touchy at the moment.

HLE

Established Member
Apart from when their gearboxes fail or they refuse point blank to couple to another of their kind of course....

Apart from that solid reliable units.....:lol:

The boxes on ours over this way seem to be permanently sprayed purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.