• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Driver Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Evening,

I'm aware a few of us on here are currently in the process of being alloted time slots for Driver Manager Interviews with Greater Anglia.

Whilst I know the subject has been covered in previous threads, can anyone advise on anything specific GA ask?

In addition, if I'm given choice between Cambridge, Bishops Stortford and Chingford, what are the pros and cons of each depot? Is there any obvious choice, or one to avoid?

Many thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave1987

On Moderation
Hi firstly I dont think you will be given the option of which depot they usually put you where there is a spare link and then you can transfer if you want but that will be in your contract.

Secondly yes it has been covered in a lot of previous threads but this is what I can remember from what I was asked:

They will ask you what you know about the training process that you would enter into if you got the job, ask you about the company.

They will ask you specific questions like when have you had to work on your own (I think the example has to be safety or proceedural related as well but dont hold me to that)

Basically do your research before hand.

Also have some questions in your head that you want to ask them as they will say to you have you any questions for them and it always looks good if you have!

Very best of luck to you!

Dave1987

On Moderation
I think the west depots all sign 379, 317, 315 and 170 but don't hold me to that! Lol

Mix107

I've just started on the trainee Driver course. West Anglia signs 315, 317 and 379. All west Anglia drivers route learn the whole patch regardless of depot, as diagrams cover London Liv St to Cambridge, Stansted Airport, Cheshunt, Hertford East, Chingford, Enfield Town, etc. Just each depot covers more of it's own patch. I'm going to Chingford (that's generally where most of the vacancies are lately) but will probably look to move to Bishop's Stortford in time as that closer for me. But best to get in and then move as required.

As for manager's interview it is criteria based now under Abellio centred around customers, responsibility, ownership and efficiency. You'll get questions on those areas, can't remember specifics. But just have plenty of examples. Best of luck, hopefully see you on GA next year!

Regards

Emilymay86

Evening,

I'm aware a few of us on here are currently in the process of being alloted time slots for Driver Manager Interviews with Greater Anglia.

Whilst I know the subject has been covered in previous threads, can anyone advise on anything specific GA ask?

In addition, if I'm given choice between Cambridge, Bishops Stortford and Chingford, what are the pros and cons of each depot? Is there any obvious choice, or one to avoid?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hi Chris,

Well done on passing the Structured Interview...my husband has his this coming week...did you find that the info given on the 'Structures Interview' thread of this forum was correct? The 5 questions? emergency? problems solved? worked on your own etc?

Or was any of it different from this?

Thanks x

badassunicorn

I wouldn't hold your breath re: transferring depots, we had a chat with our GA Area ops manager the other day and he said that there are waiting lists years long for transferring depots, eg, apparently someone has been waiting 5 years to move from Ilford to Clacton!

Dave1987

On Moderation
I wouldn't hold your breath re: transferring depots, we had a chat with our GA Area ops manager the other day and he said that there are waiting lists years long for transferring depots, eg, apparently someone has been waiting 5 years to move from Ilford to Clacton!

Yeah I've just looked at the transfer list he is currently 4th in line for a main line link at Clacton.

Mix107

Yeah I've seen the transfer list on the intranet. It's the mainline depots that have massive lists like Norwich, Southend, etc. Where as I'm wanting to transfer within the west side and only 3 on my list currently. West can transfer within it's own depots after 1 years productive work apparently.

robby p

To be honest since the last timetable change there's not much between the depots, so best to just choose your closest.

We all sign pretty much the same with the exception of Cambridge signing Cambridge yard and Cambs to Kings Lynn, while Bishops Stortford and Chingford sign Stratford to Ilford EMUD.

Cambridge work is usually cambs to Liv ST, Bishops Stortford usually work Bishops Stortford to Stratford and Stansted Express and Chingford mostly work Chingford, Enfields, Cheshunts and Hertford Easts but we all have a good variety of work.

Transfers on the West anglia are generally much faster, but if you can get into your preferred depot first then it will save you the hassle of moving.

W230

Established Member
Yeah I've just looked at the transfer list he is currently 4th in line for a main line link at Clacton.
OOI, why are the GEML links so much more popular that the WA? Are there more drivers over on the WA side so more vacancies in general between depots or is maybe (I'm guessing here) the presumably less intensive work on the GEML more appealing so those depots are more in demand?

Dave1987

On Moderation
OOI, why are the GEML links so much more popular that the WA? Are there more drivers over on the WA side so more vacancies in general between depots or is maybe (I'm guessing here) the presumably less intensive work on the GEML more appealing so those depots are more in demand?

From what I have heard GEML is a lot more interesting driving than WA. It's a 100mph main line and the jobs are a bit more varied. But thats only from talking to GEML drivers who have come over from WA.

robby p

I couldn't comment on which route is more exciting to drive as I've only driven west anglia but as for variety it's what you personally like doing.

On the west anglia you shunt, wash and prep trains yourself as there are no depot driver links but the next day you can be driving mainline to Cambridge so it certainly keeps me on my toes. I'm not sure if GE drivers shunt in the depot once there get into a mainline link, maybe a GE man can comment?

Another difference is the conditions, they are very different but every driver has their own opinion on it. WA work a 4 day week and GE work the 5 day week and rostered 8 weeks on 2 weeks off (correct me if I'm wrong). GE has 24hour signing on, where as WA driver don't book on before 05:00 or off after 01:30 (but no more than two after 00:00 finishes in one week) however we do nights on WA but I'm not sure if GE mainline drivers do them. Like I said we all prefer different things so it really is up to the individual. God forbid if they ever try to harmonise us all!!!

Dave1987

On Moderation
I couldn't comment on which route is more exciting to drive as I've only driven west anglia but as for variety it's what you personally like doing.

On the west anglia you shunt, wash and prep trains yourself as there are no depot driver links but the next day you can be driving mainline to Cambridge so it certainly keeps me on my toes. I'm not sure if GE drivers shunt in the depot once there get into a mainline link, maybe a GE man can comment?

Another difference is the conditions, they are very different but every driver has their own opinion on it. WA work a 4 day week and GE work the 5 day week and rostered 8 weeks on 2 weeks off (correct me if I'm wrong). GE has 24hour signing on, where as WA driver don't book on before 05:00 or off after 01:30 (but no more than two after 00:00 finishes in one week) however we do nights on WA but I'm not sure if GE mainline drivers do them. Like I said we all prefer different things so it really is up to the individual. God forbid if they ever try to harmonise us all!!!

Hi yeah we have depot driver links but mainline drivers do shunt from time to time. You are totally right about our shifts. I have heard rumours the long franchise will try and harmonise us all hopefully taking best bits from all three unlike what NX did.

W230

Established Member
Hi yeah we have depot driver links but mainline drivers do shunt from time to time. You are totally right about our shifts. I have heard rumours the long franchise will try and harmonise us all hopefully taking best bits from all three unlike what NX did.
Cheers for the info. Realising i've sort of hijacked this post too! Only reason I ask is that I hope at some point (when i'm qualified) to head home and work over that way but it sounds like that could be a very long wait so might have to bin that idea!

When you mention the three parts do you mean WA, GE and Angllia? I'd assumed that the Anglia drivers would also do the mainline from Norwich to Liverpool Street - is that not how it works then?

Dave1987

On Moderation
Cheers for the info. Realising i've sort of hijacked this post too! Only reason I ask is that I hope at some point (when i'm qualified) to head home and work over that way but it sounds like that could be a very long wait so might have to bin that idea!

When you mention the three parts do you mean WA, GE and Angllia? I'd assumed that the Anglia drivers would also do the mainline from Norwich to Liverpool Street - is that not how it works then?

Yes Anglia are the norwich drivers the have 3/4 links up there. It's a huge depot. They sign all the rural routes like lowerstoft and their link 1 drivers sign from London to Norwich.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member

What do nights consist of? Just shunting and prepping? How often do those shifts come around and roughly what time do you book on/off?

forgive all the questions! :P

robby p

You roughly book on anytime between 21:00 and 23:30 and book off anytime between 05:30 and 07:30.

They roughly come around every 5 weeks. The thing is though there are guys at each depot that prefer nights so most drivers swap for earlies or lates and don't work a night turn for years.

Depending on your depot you generally you work the last trains and then empties to depot. You may then shunt and wash but that's only really when your spending the night at Chingford or Cambs. At Ilford you don't shunt as it's done for you and at Orient Way you may shunt but you wash your train as you leave. All three depots have a turn that just shunts/washes at their depot. PNBs are generally a lot longer during night turns and then you normally form the first morning services heading back to your depot.

Working your night turns can be very interesting as you will perform shunt moves and use routes that are not generally used during the day. On the other hand you have to bear in mind it's easier to make mistakes when your tired especially when you've not got enough sleep during the day ( road works outside your house for example ).

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
You roughly book on anytime between 21:00 and 23:30 and book off anytime between 05:30 and 07:30.

They roughly come around every 5 weeks. The thing is though there are guys at each depot that prefer nights so most drivers swap for earlies or lates and don't work a night turn for years.

Depending on your depot you generally you work the last trains and then empties to depot. You may then shunt and wash but that's only really when your spending the night at Chingford or Cambs. At Ilford you don't shunt as it's done for you and at Orient Way you may shunt but you wash your train as you leave. All three depots have a turn that just shunts/washes at their depot. PNBs are generally a lot longer during night turns and then you normally form the first morning services heading back to your depot.

Working your night turns can be very interesting as you will perform shunt moves and use routes that are not generally used during the day. On the other hand you have to bear in mind it's easier to make mistakes when your tired especially when you've not got enough sleep during the day ( road works outside your house for example ).

Thanks for the info. I've done a few night turns in my current role, so hopefully I'll be ok with the shift pattern! Are your RDs grouped into a 7 on, 2 off, 7 on, 5 off rotation?

robby p

No there is no set pattern as such, you have a long weekend roughly every 3/4 weeks (fri, sat, sun, mon, tues) on west anglia. I'm not too sure on GE but think long weekends are less often as you get your two weeks off every eight weeks.

The roster lasts 12 months now so you can see what rest days you have for the year.

Emilymay86

Hi Everyone!

Can anyone give anymore specifics on the current Driver Managers Interviews??
What questions? do you have to write answers first like the structured interview? Do you need to know about the company or is it more about you?
plus anything else greatly appreciated :)

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Hi Everyone!

Can anyone give anymore specifics on the current Driver Managers Interviews??
What questions? do you have to write answers first like the structured interview? Do you need to know about the company or is it more about you?
plus anything else greatly appreciated :)

Nothing written out, it's much more of a traditional interview. I think the questions are changable. Another forum member had his interview an hour before me and was asked different questions to me.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Nothing written out, it's much more of a traditional interview. I think the questions are changable. Another forum member had his interview an hour before me and was asked different questions to me.

Do your company research since abellio took over apparently they ask what you know about the company and its values. I did mine under NXEA so don't have any first hand experience though.

Rocky3

Had my managers interview recently with GA, it was very relaxed and questions mostly taken from my application form responses, only 1 question about company. I get the feeling that the interview is very much tailored to the interviewee.

Mix107

Mine was almost completely about the Abellio values which I have explained earlier on this thread. Seems to depend on which manager(s) interview you. But it generally is less about the actual role of a train driver and more about your experiences/examples from their criteria based questions.

david_VI

Thanks for the responses in this thread regarding the interview. I've got my structured one on Tuesday and looking forward positively to the managers one seems a good thing.. I like to know a bit of what to expect!

I think i've looked at the Abelio values before, are they on their main website or the GA one?

frontosa

Mine was almost completely about the Abellio values which I have explained earlier on this thread. Seems to depend on which manager(s) interview you. But it generally is less about the actual role of a train driver and more about your experiences/examples from their criteria based questions.

Can you remember what they are? I wish I had written them down when I was at Stratford. I remember seeing 5 on the wall. Only one I can remember is punctuality. Cant find them on the website.

Thanks for any help.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Can you remember what they are? I wish I had written them down when I was at Stratford. I remember seeing 5 on the wall. Only one I can remember is punctuality. Cant find them on the website.

Thanks for any help.

Look on the internet, I found them in 30 seconds on Google

Status
Not open for further replies.