• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia forcing use of Smart Cards for monthly or longer seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I've been using a Southeastern 'Key' smart card for coming up to two years now, it's loaded with an Ashford Int. to Z1-6 annual. The only time I've had problems with it have been at some, but not all, stations with the older style of gates with the wider mechanical box (can't think of a proper name for them - turret?)* and once on a TfL bus where the ticket machine wouldn't read the card but it worked fine on the bus behind.
*One gate line attendant told me those type of gates couldn't read ITSO cards but I've used the same gate at the same station subsequently with no issues.

Simon
Were you allowed to continue your journey on the bus with the reader not working?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FlippyFF

Were you allowed to continue your journey on the bus with the reader not working?

No, despite having the printed gold paper counterpart, admittedly over-printed with 'Not valid for Travel', the driver wouldn't let me on. Now, if I'd got on at the back (It was an LT operated route) and not touched in, no one would have been any the wiser. (I like to touch in so I have a record of my trips/timings).
I'm still using the same smart card but have had to change the TOC branded wallet it lives in after an On Board Manager decided she needed to continuously flex the hinge fold in order to read the card within which led to it splitting.

Simon

matt_world2004

Established Member
No, despite having the printed gold paper counterpart, admittedly over-printed with 'Not valid for Travel', the driver wouldn't let me on. Now, if I'd got on at the back (It was an LT operated route) and not touched in, no one would have been any the wiser. (I like to touch in so I have a record of my trips/timings).
I'm still using the same smart card but have had to change the TOC branded wallet it lives in after an On Board Manager decided she needed to continuously flex the hinge fold in order to read the card within which led to it splitting.

Simon
if that happens again, contact tfl with details of the bus as drivers have been briefed on these smartcards. It is not your fault the reader didnt read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.