• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Liveries Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
On a related note - what was the last vehicle in the franchise remaining in the old Anglia Railways livery, and when was it reliveried?

The attached photo shows a 170 in the old Anglia Livery, taken on the 20th October 2012 at Lowestoft railway station

Attachments

• DSCF2158.jpg
    DSCF2158.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 60
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SprinterMan

Established Member
On a related note - what was the last vehicle in the franchise remaining in the old Anglia Railways livery, and when was it reliveried?

If you mean this livery, it was 153309, 153322 or 153335, all repainted earlier this year. I'm not sure of the order they were repainted in.

6818614087_28e32ed5a4_z.jpg

Adam :D

Last edited:

Established Member
Would there still be some 86s at Long Marston in the Anglia Railways livery? I'm sure there are some Mark 2 coaches in that livery too.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Would there still be some 86s at Long Marston in the Anglia Railways livery? I'm sure there are some Mark 2 coaches in that livery too.

Correct, Riviera trains have a few rakes of coaches in this colour scheme, and actually repainted a Mk2 BSO into this scheme to match the other coaches. There are quite a few 86s at Long Marston in these colours also.

Correct, Riviera trains have a few rakes of coaches in this colour scheme, and actually repainted a Mk2 BSO into this scheme to match the other coaches. There are quite a few 86s at Long Marston in these colours also.

I don't think there are many 86's left in Anglia colours now. 86215 has gone to Hungary, 86217 is painted in Floyd livery but I'm not sure if its been exported yet. 86234, 235, 242 & 246 spring to mind as being survivors at the moment. I've got some pics of them on my Flickr site taken at Long Marston last year. http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetottenhamflyer/sets/72157626957955693/

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The 170s in the "Anglia" livery are in the livery they were delivered in, aren't they? Quite good going for 10 yr old units that have operated for three different franchisees with four different brands!

dk1

Veteran Member
The 170s in the "Anglia" livery are in the livery they were delivered in, aren't they? Quite good going for 10 yr old units that have operated for three different franchisees with four different brands!

three of the 2-car 170s 271-3 are in the original Anglia livery as delivered for the start of the Norwich/Cambridge service in 2002. 170270 was painted in 'one' livery around the time of the launch in 2004 but was one of the few trains to carry the initial colour blue before it was changed. It is still in this livery minus the 'gay pride' stripes. All 4 had the white bodyside NXEA band added around 2006.

SprinterMan

Established Member
three of the 2-car 170s 271-3 are in the original Anglia livery as delivered for the start of the Norwich/Cambridge service in 2002. 170270 was painted in 'one' livery around the time of the launch in 2004 but was one of the few trains to carry the initial colour blue before it was changed. It is still in this livery minus the 'gay pride' stripes. All 4 had the white bodyside NXEA band added around 2006.

Yes! I knew the ONE logo looked somehow familiar to me, and you are right, that is where I have seen it before. I do miss the full ONE livery with the stripes, as I grew up with it and have always thought it looked good. AFAIK the only things to get the original ONE metallic livery were 170270 (still in it), 321446 (now in polar bear colours), DVT 82119 (now scrapped), DBSO 9710 (now in store at Eastleigh) and maybe 1 or 2 317s but I'm not sure about this. The NXEA white stripes were applied in 2008, not 2006 :P

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes! I knew the ONE logo looked somehow familiar to me, and you are right, that is where I have seen it before. I do miss the full ONE livery with the stripes, as I grew up with it and have always thought it looked good. AFAIK the only things to get the original ONE metallic livery were 170270 (still in it), 321446 (now in polar bear colours), DVT 82119 (now scrapped), DBSO 9710 (now in store at Eastleigh and maybe 1 or 2 317s but I'm not sure about this. The NXEA white stripes were applied in 2008, not 2006 :P

Well done with the stripe dates. All those dreadful NX days blurred into one (no pun intended) for me. I collected 9710 from Ilford with 2 86s the night before launch day. We top'n'tailed it Ilford-Mistley-Manningtree NJ-Ilford as was wrong turned & was only done as a standby incase of problems with the DVT.

Yes! I knew the ONE logo looked somehow familiar to me, and you are right, that is where I have seen it before. I do miss the full ONE livery with the stripes, as I grew up with it and have always thought it looked good. AFAIK the only things to get the original ONE metallic livery were 170270 (still in it), 321446 (now in polar bear colours), DVT 82119 (now scrapped), DBSO 9710 (now in store at Eastleigh) and maybe 1 or 2 317s but I'm not sure about this. The NXEA white stripes were applied in 2008, not 2006 :P

317672 carried the metallic blue, and I think 671 may have done. Certainly 672 did.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Updated :)

156422 now in GA colours, 156412 will be transferring to Wolverton in the next few days for it's repaint.

SprinterMan

Established Member
That 321 looks even more hideous than I remember.

It wouldn't have killed them to at least repaint all the light grey FGE bits a dark colour, but it was a typical half-cocked NX job. At least it is in lovely(ish) GA colours now :P It was far worse in NXEA days:
4993575934_ceab99028f_z.jpg

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Oh the graffiti, I remember a 360 that had similar for a good few months, typical of the neglect which was given over many years. Also why did they make the bracket around the LED displays white? It looks literally stuck on, black would have suited it far more.

To be fair though, NXEA never got their house in order regarding liveries, even in 8 years they struggled to decide on one and many different variations. And when they did get some constancy on them, that constancy basically seemed to be, peel the original livery back and stick on some white interim stripes like in that 321!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It didn't help that NX Group had a somewhat botched attempt to brand EVERYTHING they ran with the white/silver "dot to dot" livery- if NXEC hadn't collapsed, they would have kept going I reckon, with all of NXEA's fleet in it, almost certainly c2c and also all their road coaches.

F1Ken

God! I had forgotten how bad that ONE livery was. That 321 looks hideous in it! And yet I thought they looked great in the FGE Green,blue,white, grey livery. I liked that FGE livery it suited the trains it was on.

Do we have any idea what is going to happen to the plain white if GA win the long term franchise? I sense it may be red and grey stripes. Simple liveries are always better think NSE and Intercity. The Anglia Railways was a nice livery.

SprinterMan

Established Member
It didn't help that NX Group had a somewhat botched attempt to brand EVERYTHING they ran with the white/silver "dot to dot" livery- if NXEC hadn't collapsed, they would have kept going I reckon, with all of NXEA's fleet in it, almost certainly c2c and also all their road coaches.

I would like to know what was going through their heads when they did this, c2c and ONE were both well-known brands in 2008 when the rebrand was done, and they just kileld both of them and threw everyhting into a weird variety of white & silver or plain white. c2c even technically retained their identity. The whole thing was idiotic and never should have been attempted. If I was NX, I would have purchased all the rights to the GNER brand, saving myself alot of money from not having to repaint trains, and just started putting "a National Express Group company" on the front of GNER, ONE and c2c timetables.

God! I had forgotten how bad that ONE livery was. That 321 looks hideous in it! And yet I thought they looked great in the FGE Green,blue,white, grey livery. I liked that FGE livery it suited the trains it was on.

Do we have any idea what is going to happen to the plain white if GA win the long term franchise? I sense it may be red and grey stripes. Simple liveries are always better think NSE and Intercity. The Anglia Railways was a nice livery.

Nothing is certain yet, and I have a sneaking suspicion that if they do win that they just might repaint all the things with blue doors into standard GA "red door" livery and leave it, although I am hoping it will gain a red stripe at least, so the 321s look like the ICE. Following current repainting plans though, it seems as if the 360s and 170271-273 will remain in the liveries they were delivered in over 10 years ago for some time yet.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Oh the graffiti, I remember a 360 that had similar for a good few months, typical of the neglect which was given over many years. Also why did they make the bracket around the LED displays white? It looks literally stuck on, black would have suited it far more.

It used to drive me mad. Graffiti especially above the cant rail on fronts was prolific & was often left for months. What a first impression that was for customers & summed up the dreadful NX era on this route. GA are not perfect by a long chalk but they do atleast try to give a good image.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I would like to know what was going through their heads when they did this, c2c and ONE were both well-known brands in 2008 when the rebrand was done, and they just kileld both of them and threw everyhting into a weird variety of white & silver or plain white. c2c even technically retained their identity. The whole thing was idiotic and never should have been attempted. If I was NX, I would have purchased all the rights to the GNER brand, saving myself alot of money from not having to repaint trains, and just started putting "a National Express Group company" on the front of GNER, ONE and c2c timetables.

Corporate branding is a weird world. Previously they had of course been happy with having everything in individual brands- They kept "Wales and West" on purchase of Prism, and that became Wales and Borders and Wessex Trains. They had ScotRail, WAGN (also from Prism), Central, Midland Mainline, Silverlink and the standalone Gatwick Express.

But as a general rule, what is centralised will be decentralised and what is decentralised will be centralised. What is in-house will be outsourced, what is outsourced will be brought in-house This holds true of governments and large corporations alike. Understanding the logic of the corporate boardroom is tricky

D365

Veteran Member
But what is privatised will generally not be nationalised...

jopsuk

Veteran Member
don't be so sure. After all, the railways were in private hands for (in some cases) over a century (from creation) before they were nationalised.

D365

Veteran Member
That was long ago those full commercial ventures were nationalised; that happened in virtually every country.

387star

On Moderation
It used to drive me mad. Graffiti especially above the cant rail on fronts was prolific & was often left for months. What a first impression that was for customers & summed up the dreadful NX era on this route. GA are not perfect by a long chalk but they do atleast try to give a good image.

Like FCC now appalling upkeep. A 319 at Brighton yesterday had anus written on the front! If it is removed no problem but I have seen some 319s with the same graffiti for days

dk1

Veteran Member
Like FCC now appalling upkeep. A 319 at Brighton yesterday had anus written on the front! If it is removed no problem but I have seen some 319s with the same graffiti for days

What a massive contrast between GN & Thameslink train presentation. Is it because work is sub-contracted at Selhurst or have i got that wrong?

156412 left Norwich Crown Point for Wolverton yesterday, when 412 returns then 156419 will go, and when 156419 returns 156418 will go. So if anyone wants any pictures of 156419 in the NX livery or 156418 in the EX CT livery its now time to get your pictures as over the next few months both these liveries will have gone.

johnb

(OT) Usually stuff gets nationalised when the private sector is so totally bust that it's the only possible option. The railways are no exception: that's exactly what happened postwar when the Big 4 were bust, and it's exactly what happened to Railtrack (yes, I know NR is a "not for dividend" company officially, LOL).

Back on topic, I thought the One logo looked quite nice on the loco-hauled Norwich sets, although not so much on the EMUs.

SprinterMan

Established Member
156412 left Norwich Crown Point for Wolverton yesterday, when 412 returns then 156419 will go, and when 156419 returns 156418 will go. So if anyone wants any pictures of 156419 in the NX livery or 156418 in the EX CT livery its now time to get your pictures as over the next few months both these liveries will have gone.

Thank you very much indeed for this info, I shall add it to the main page.

Last edited:

badassunicorn

theres a 360 running around at the moment with a toothy grin on the end drawn in the dirt like a "clean me" thingy on a van or something ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.