• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Livery/train liveries in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
I forget when the current franchise now expires 2016 I think

I was wondering if GA have a finished livery in mind and if there are any official mock ups of this? I'm sure I sure a 170 which looked very smart on some website

The mk3s and locos look good because there are the added buffet/first class stripes and a grey bodyside stripe which add something to the livery. I would love to see the finished product though! Can't stand the plain white the 321, 317, 315, 153, 156 have!

How difficult would it be to repaint the blue door examples red as well?

At least with the grey/white examples there is some interest. I presume the grey was painted on whereas the National Express stripes were vinyl as these were removed

PS I often wonder why National Express removed the stripe from the FGE livery on the class 321 doors yet kept the swoosh covering the end doors?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
As far as I know the White and Red doors is the final livery. I have a feeling its a new thing being pushed by the DfT and various other bodies similar to Scotrail.

With Scotrail the idea is the "franchise" has a set livery (Saltire) and then operator is not allowed to alter it, only stick their corporate logo on it. FCC seem to be doing something similar to some of their 365s.

chubs

Would be a great idea for the area.

I totally understand there are more important things than livery to spend money on but it just looks ridiculous when trains are in Debranded Anglian, Debranded One, Debranded FGE, Debranded NX etc.

physics34

Established Member
And with the big cascadement of stock around the country in the next few years it makes sense. I just wonder why greater Anglia is white and not grey though.

Last edited:

Bastiaan

The ScotRail 'saltaire' is a very smart livery. A reconizable identity for all trains in Scotland. If DfT wants to do the same for England, it has to be something more inspirational than the 'plain white/gray with coloured doors' idea. Perhaps grey with a dark window stripe and a red bodyside stripe for Intercity, white with blue and red stripes for commuters around London and white with blue stripes for other regional services. Although something tells me that these have been done before...

Last edited:

physics34

Established Member
The ScotRail 'saltaire' is a very smart livery. A reconizable identity for all trains in Scotland. If DfT wants to do the same for England, it has to be something more inspirational than the 'plain white/gray with coloured doors' idea. Perhaps grey with a dark window stripe and a red bodyside stripe for Intercity, white with blue and red stripes for commuters around London and white with blue stripes for other regional services. Although something tells me that these have been done before...

i think id cream my pants if Intercity, NSE and RR liveries came back ;)

samuelmorris

Established Member
A base-white livery really only works on rolling stock that's well looked after. On the c2c franchise it works, as the units are kept pretty clean. On AGA, it doesn't. The dark blue base livery the 360s are currently in does a better job of hiding the dirt, and yet travelling home on 360115 this afternoon, it still looked an absolute disgrace.

387star

On Moderation
As far as I know the White and Red doors is the final livery. I have a feeling its a new thing being pushed by the DfT and various other bodies similar to Scotrail.

With Scotrail the idea is the "franchise" has a set livery (Saltire) and then operator is not allowed to alter it, only stick their corporate logo on it. FCC seem to be doing something similar to some of their 365s.

I do not believe this and feel Thameslink and ScotRail will be the exceptions. The base may stay as white but I feel AGA are itching for some better branding... hence the recent plugging of Abellio
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I also wonder if Wales are jealous of Scotland having a corporate livery and whether we will see one rolled out for Wales? Personally I like the new ATW livery which does incorporate the Welsh Assembly Government wording

The Gatwick Express is of interest as well... evidently a strong livery/brand because like Southern GoVia are keeping it... despite a change of ownership with the former

Surely it is about time Stansted Express had a unique livery... but obviously not as vile as 'One' attempted to impose!

Suraggu

I do not believe this and feel Thameslink and ScotRail will be the exceptions. The base may stay as white but I feel AGA are itching for some better branding... hence the recent plugging of Abellio
I also wonder if Wales are jealous of Scotland having a corporate livery and whether we will see one rolled out for Wales? Personally I like the new ATW livery which does incorporate the Welsh Assembly Government wording

The Gatwick Express is of interest as well... evidently a strong livery/brand because like Southern GoVia are keeping it... despite a change of ownership with the former

Surely it is about time Stansted Express had a unique livery... but obviously not as vile as 'One' attempted to impose!

Well Valley Lines livery was very patriotic, perhaps the WAG could go down that route come refranchising, you never know.

TheEdge

Established Member

Well considering the red and white livery used on the Mk3s is the one being placed on advertising paperwork and as part of the major refurb of the 156s they've been painted in the same with the full Abellio Greater Anglia titles I suspect it'll be the final one. I've seen a mock up of the 170s in the white and red, looks, well, white and red, not sure when it might happen.

Established Member
A base-white livery really only works on rolling stock that's well looked after. On the c2c franchise it works, as the units are kept pretty clean. On AGA, it doesn't. The dark blue base livery the 360s are currently in does a better job of hiding the dirt, and yet travelling home on 360115 this afternoon, it still looked an absolute disgrace.

Brand new carriage washer replacing the old one at Colchester just now so no washing taking place there while it is installed. Hopefully that will make some difference.

I wasn't sure at first, but provided it is regularly washed, the white and red livery on the Norwich InterCity sets does look particularly smart when the whole train is the same colour.

As an aside, I was told by a Boeing official that coloured paint is heavier, hence most airlines go for base-white liveries for fuel efficiency.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Yeah I heard the same - that admittedly makes a lot more sense in aviation than on the railways, but I imagine it does still make some sort of difference.

I agree on the Mk 3 sets looking smart when fully liveried up. While they're still clean they definitely look the part. How long will that last though? :)

dk1

Veteran Member
Yeah I heard the same - that admittedly makes a lot more sense in aviation than on the railways, but I imagine it does still make some sort of difference.

I agree on the Mk 3 sets looking smart when fully liveried up. While they're still clean they definitely look the part. How long will that last though? :)

Should keep in much better condition now it's paint rather than vinyl.

asylumxl

Established Member
The ScotRail 'saltaire' is a very smart livery. A reconizable identity for all trains in Scotland. If DfT wants to do the same for England, it has to be something more inspirational than the 'plain white/gray with coloured doors' idea.

They meant to add more to the livery but didn't manage to even get halfway through finishing it.

Bit like the English football team...

southern442

Established Member

I quite like the 'fake GNER' livery (as I call it) that the 317/7's carried but the light blue one on the /8's was horrible.

badassunicorn

There is a 317 just back from Clacton which has had the grey seat covers added and the livery has been added to with a light grey stripe at the bottom and a dark grey box along the windows, I've got a picture I'll put up later if anyone is interested?

Well considering the red and white livery used on the Mk3s is the one being placed on advertising paperwork and as part of the major refurb of the 156s they've been painted in the same with the full Abellio Greater Anglia titles I suspect it'll be the final one. I've seen a mock up of the 170s in the white and red, looks, well, white and red, not sure when it might happen.

Any ideas what will happen to the brecks 170

dk1

Veteran Member
Any ideas what will happen to the brecks 170

They should be very very grateful that all this franchise messing around has given them months of extra exposure.
There is a 317 just back from Clacton which has had the grey seat covers added and the livery has been added to with a light grey stripe at the bottom and a dark grey box along the windows, I've got a picture I'll put up later if anyone is interested?

Passed that at Ingatestone yesterday around 15.30. Noted it had black window surrounds similar to the IC vehicles. Was it 317655?

etc9

315809 now has Abellio seat covers, which is surprising. I thought these units would just be left to decline until the LOROL/MTR Crossrail takeover.

EDIT: Apologies for being an archetypal newbie. Just realised that there's a thread on this already:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1823380

Last edited:

al.currie93

The Gatwick Express livery is about my favourite :) especially debranded on the 73 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.