• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia London - Harwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonm

Going on this on a Saturday - is it worth upgrading to First Class? £7 each each way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
IMO yes but it depends what your personal utility function is like.

The last time I travelled on that line I wished I'd bought an Advance 1st instead of an Advance Std just to get away from Essex's finest.

ChristopherJ

The first class on Greater Anglia outer suburban trains is intended for commuters to enhance the prospect of a seat. It's not luxurious at all. I would say no to the upgrade. Save your £14 and buy something more worthwhile.

On my many journeys on the line I have seen rowdy teens and gangs take over the first class compartments who have no tickets, so you may want to take this in to consideration if trying to avoid the scum. There's no guards on these trains and encounters with revenue protection staff is minimal.

Depending on what series of train is allocated to the journey, it will be either a class 321 or 360 - below is a comparison between first and standard class of both trains. As you can see, it's not really worth it, is it...?

First Class 321
5646775181_940ffc86e4.jpg

Standard Class 321
5647339182_0726817323.jpg

First Class 360
766px-360115_B_DMCO_65565_First_Class_Interior.JPG

Standard Class 360
800px-Class_360_interior.JPG

Last edited:

simonm

Thanks for all the advice. I might just stick in STD and save the money for a cuppa or snack!

jon0844

Veteran Member
We got a Mk3 part of the way, then a 321 the rest, when we travelled to Harwich. Certainly not worth paying for First Class in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.