• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Managers Interview failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezza

Hi all, hoping someone can offer some advise that will pick me up off the floor.. I made it through the 'Trainee Train Driver' with Greater Anglia application, assessment day, structured interview and then attended the managers interview last week. I today received a letter simply saying "Unfortunately you have been unsuccessful on this occasion"... that's it!

I'm beyond devastated as I believe the interview went well and I am so suited to the job and the job is perfect for me. I answered all the questions in depth and with good answers (well I thought so!). I even asked if there were any issues in their mind with me as a trainee train driver, to which they responded with 'no' and even said I had the customer service experience they are looking for at GA now. Why can't people be honest when interviewing people when faced with that question!

Now I email HR today but an auto response informs the person is on leave until next Monday.

Can someone tell me what "I have been unsuccessful on this occasions" means? Does that mean no with Greater Anglia, or just no for the training course that is to start on 13th July which they stated in their letter inviting me to the managers interview...

Can you re apply to the same company the next time they advertise?
Does my assessment pass give me a better chance elsewhere?
I really do want to work for Greater Anglia but would have to consider elsewhere as I am desperate for the role, so what do you do, apply saying I already have an assessment pass?
They stated at the interview there were only 3 places at Cambridge and 1 at Bishops Stortford, could it be that the rejection was because the places are filled? I would have thought if that was the case that I would have a letter saying I had passed the interview but I would have to go on hold for future places?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lanc688

Pezza,

I am so, so sorry mate and can imagine how heart wrenching it must be, I haven't been to a manager interview myself as of yet and so can offer no advice.

Only....I certainly feel that you are due some feedback at least having come so far.

GA take numerous intakes throughout the year and so surely it's not game over yet.

Get in touch with HR when they are back and ask for some feedback. I am sure that they are understanding enough to realise that you deserve some feedback and reassurance of some sort.

It will happen one day mate....just keep plugging away (remember, to come as far as you have, you have eminently proven your suitability for the role.

Regards
Lanc

Pezza

Thanks Lanc866 I appreciate your encouraging words.

I will keep trying, it just felt so right at this time after being made redundant at the end of March the July training course was perfect timing for me.

NXdriver1981

Hey pezza sorry to hear that, if it were stortford u were applying for, there was only one vacancy so maybe part of the decision process?? When did u have your interview? I was there during last week and saw a few guys and girls waiting for interviews

Pezza

Hey pezza sorry to hear that, if it were stortford u were applying for, there was only one vacancy so maybe part of the decision process?? When did u have your interview? I was there during last week and saw a few guys and girls waiting for interviews

Thanks NXdriver1981, My interview was 11am on last Wednesday. I originally applied for Bishops Stortford or Chingfield but after reviewing the areas as I have to re-locate I explained in the interview that I would also like to be considered for Cambridge now which they seemed interested in.

NXdriver1981

That day I think 5 people had interview as there were others before last Tuesday too. Try not to be too down hearted as there are always far to many people apply for the number of vacancies. I will ask someone here if the give feedback

Pezza

That day I think 5 people had interview as there were others before last Tuesday too. Try not to be too down hearted as there are always far to many people apply for the number of vacancies. I will ask someone here if the give feedback

Thanks NXdriver1981 really appreciated. I anticipated that there was going to be too many for the positions available, but I thought then they would put some people on hold. So just to get a simple 'not successful' letter I thought meant I had failed the interview where as other may have gone on hold for any future in take.

TDK

Established Member
Pezza,

Reading your post I do feel for you, reading between the lines here some of your quotes such as "I am perfect for the job" will not go down very well at interview also you quote that you are desperate for the job, this also will not look good if this is the way it was delivered. However, wait until you receive your feedback from them and see where they feel you were not suited for the role, if they thought you were perfect for the job and the vacancies had gone they would have most certainly have put you on hold. Somewhere in that interview I think you may have said something to them that either did not agree with your original application form, previous interview or they just thought that you were just no the person for them. I have had some people call me for feedback and ask why they did not get a Trainee Drivers job and many occasions with some of them actually saying that they think they were the best candidates on the day however after their feedback they realise that they were not. Sorry to be a bit blunt but this is what has actually happened in the past not what people think has happened. Lets hope it is just because of over subscription for the positions and not because of what you said in iterview.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I am sure you are a very good candidate, Pezza, but it may just be that there was a better candidate on the day, particularly if there was only one vacancy as mentioned.

TDK is correct about feedback. I failed to get a job recently that I thought I was perfect for, but when the manager explained exactly what they were looking for, and how the successful person fitted the bill, I had to agree with their decision.

Once you have received your feedback, everything may be a little clearer. I do hope so.

Pezza

Pezza,

Reading your post I do feel for you, reading between the lines here some of your quotes such as "I am perfect for the job" will not go down very well at interview also you quote that you are desperate for the job, this also will not look good if this is the way it was delivered. However, wait until you receive your feedback from them and see where they feel you were not suited for the role, if they thought you were perfect for the job and the vacancies had gone they would have most certainly have put you on hold. Somewhere in that interview I think you may have said something to them that either did not agree with your original application form, previous interview or they just thought that you were just no the person for them. I have had some people call me for feedback and ask why they did not get a Trainee Drivers job and many occasions with some of them actually saying that they think they were the best candidates on the day however after their feedback they realise that they were not. Sorry to be a bit blunt but this is what has actually happened in the past not what people think has happened. Lets hope it is just because of over subscription for the positions and not because of what you said in iterview.

Thanks for the comments TDK. The thing is the interview was not like a normal interview as I have read on the forum that the managers interview would be. I'd studied for a week in advance all the expected questions and info on the company, their goals etc but when I arrived they said it was a 'competency based' interview and proceeded to ask me a series of 'describe a time when' questions. So there was no opportunity to just state anything like 'I am perfect for the job', I wouldn't though honestly, I'd never say anything like that to anyone about myself, I'd never usually even type it in a post such as this, I will just a bit emotional this morning when I typed it. :oops:

So the managers interview was a lot like the structured interview, just not as severe. I had what I though were really good responses to their questions from my work career and personal life which I put across in a calm, professional and friendly manner. I even asked almost after each question if that was okay and seemed to get a friendly confirmation back from the driver manager that it was.

I'm 42 now and have a lot of work experience. When I say I am perfect for the job, I don't mean I better than anyone else, its just I've studied what the role requires and believe I would be very good at the role, I never give any bad attitude, always work hard and am always extremely supportive to others and the company. I discussed this with them when I asked about good locations to live in and we discussed it, saying that I want to be as close as possible to the depot so I can be very flexible and always be available to cover shifts when you need someone. To which the area manager said 'yes and we need lots of that'. It's just the role suit me as person so well, I've a long work career in I.T. Sales, a role that didn't suit me as well at all, but I was quite successful at it because I always give so much to anything I do. I'm starting to think that my answers may have come across as made up because I have achieved quite a lot and the questions gave me perfect examples to respond with some of the things I have achieved in business life. Everything was completely true though, I just was thinking at the time to myself 'are they believing this?'
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am sure you are a very good candidate, Pezza, but it may just be that there was a better candidate on the day, particularly if there was only one vacancy as mentioned.

TDK is correct about feedback. I failed to get a job recently that I thought I was perfect for, but when the manager explained exactly what they were looking for, and how the successful person fitted the bill, I had to agree with their decision.

Once you have received your feedback, everything may be a little clearer. I do hope so.

Thanks Greenback, yeah I really do appreciate that there could of been better candidates being interviewed. I have no issue with that, it's just that I only receive a letter saying 'you have been unsuccessful' no option to go on hold, no explanation or any info on what I can do next. So in that case it doesn't appear it's that there were others better to fill the 4 places but that individually I failed the interview which just doesn't make sense with how it went on the day. The other point being they are still interviewing this week after I believe around 20 were interviewed last week for 4 places. So I can't have been rejected because of numbers if they are still interviewing.

Scotsman87

Hey Pezza Mate

Sorry to hear that mate, I am really gutted for you. You should definitely seek some feedback, and see how you got on. Keep your chin up though mate, keep pushing for it and you will get it soon, you got this far so don't let it stop you. I wish you all the best for the future mate, and hope to see you at GA one day.

Pezza

Hey Pezza Mate

Sorry to hear that mate, I am really gutted for you. You should definitely seek some feedback, and see how you got on. Keep your chin up though mate, keep pushing for it and you will get it soon, you got this far so don't let it stop you. I wish you all the best for the future mate, and hope to see you at GA one day.

Thanks mate, appreciated. All the best to you for the training course in July. Keep me updated on how it goes.

jasont

Pezza

Sorry to hear your bad news, but a similar thing happened with me.

I applied 18mths ago when it was NXEA, had all my interviews and got a letter saying I had been unsuccessful this time. I phoned them to be told I would be kept on a list as I had passed but no post available at the depot I requested.

I am now starting in July and will be based at Chingford.

This may not be the case for all, but you never know.

Chin up

notadriver

Established Member
Why are candidates like postman being taken on over IT professionals ?

MR_P

Don't think you can go just on that, I have been a postman and now an IT professional but I'm still trying to 'get in' !

Last edited:

AlexS

Established Member
You can read what you like into interview results unfortunately - there's always an element of randomness in the final decision. I'd say you may have shot yourself in the foot by asking for confirmation that your answer was OK after so many questions - this may show a lack of confidence or assertiveness to the interviewer? (both necessary for drivers).

cobbler

hi
i think once you get feedback you will have a clearer idea

i was unsuccessful recently with a similar position and like you i felt i was a good candidate , i even have 10years on the railway experience in a similar role

but and heres the big butt , excuse the pun :D

the interviews are structured ie they score you on your answers and this is a huge factor ,

mine came down to me scoring poorly on 1 question , i didnt know enough about the TOC , i knew the routes etc as i worked the same lines years before but what i didnt do was research more about the deeper aspects of the company

the ethos and in my case who owns the company , i didnt know and didnt at the time think it was that important

bearing in mind theres hundreds of people after the same role and these one or two points you may lose on a question will make difference

hope this helps

Pezza

Pezza

Sorry to hear your bad news, but a similar thing happened with me.

I applied 18mths ago when it was NXEA, had all my interviews and got a letter saying I had been unsuccessful this time. I phoned them to be told I would be kept on a list as I had passed but no post available at the depot I requested.

I am now starting in July and will be based at Chingford.

This may not be the case for all, but you never know.

Chin up

Hi jasont, thanks for that info, that is very interesting. So instead of writing to you saying you would be on hold they just said you had been unsuccessful as they have done with me and at least one other I know about. In-fact though they did in effect keep you in a kind of holding pot for later vacancies. Will be interesting if I get similar feedback next week when the HR lady is back from hols.

Well done with your role in the end, do you mean you are staring on the July 13th training course?
You can read what you like into interview results unfortunately - there's always an element of randomness in the final decision. I'd say you may have shot yourself in the foot by asking for confirmation that your answer was OK after so many questions - this may show a lack of confidence or assertiveness to the interviewer? (both necessary for drivers).

That's a good point AlexS, thinking back I was trying to keep the interview friendly and kind of lighthearted as they both seemed friendly and kind of jovial people. I was asking in a semi-smiley way asking was that what you are looking for? I can see now maybe that it could have come across as being a lack of assertiveness. Yes indeed very necessary for the role. Good food for thought for any future opportunities, thanks.
mine came down to me scoring poorly on 1 question , i didnt know enough about the TOC , i knew the routes etc as i worked the same lines years before but what i didnt do was research more about the deeper aspects of the company

Thanks cobbler, the thing is though I'd researched loads of info on the company, the role, the routes, the questions like 'why I wanted to be etc etc..' I think I may have known more about Greater Anglia than their M.D. did at the point of the interview. The interview though has totally changed and they did not ask any questions on anything you could have researched in advance. It was all situations competency questions.

I even said towards the end, I though I was going to have lots of questions about the company and was told that they do not do this anymore and that was the point of the original questionnaire application form that forced you to research company info.

Last edited:

Trog

Established Member
Thirty odd years ago an old driver nearing retirement was telling me about how he got his first job on the railway.

The word had gone out that due to the end of the Great Depression and an increase in traffic. For the first time in years the local steam shed would soon be taking on two lads as engine cleaners, and that those who were interested should go down the shed on a certain day to be interviewed by the Shed Master. On the day in question the young old driver arrives at the shed to find over a hundred lads waiting to be seen after a wait of hours. He was eventually called into the Shed Masters office; the Shed Master then asked him if he was Sammy's lad? Sammy being his father who had worked at the shed before his death some years before. On being answered in the affirmative the Shed Master asked no further questions, and told him to report to the timekeeper next door, to collect his directions and ticket for his medical exam.

jadam35

I am currently a postman and had a successful few years with the rail from 2002-2006. I worked as a Conductor in Manchester and left of my own accord to try something different. I wished I hadn't as I miss it and am currently trying to go back on the rail, and recently passed my assessments for the second time.
Not sure what you are trying to suggest with your comment but as long as a person meets the required criteria then why not?
At my assessments there was a maths teacher, an assistant bank manager and two cleaners, one who cleaned the streets and one who cleaned for a TOC. Are they good enough? The person who interviewed them obviously thinks so.

455driver

Veteran Member
What nobody has mentioned (if they have, I missed it and apologise) is that you have PASSED the drivers tests and can apply to other TOCs and will only have to sit any additional tests that they do but GA dont do as the Managers interview does not form part of the tests and is company specific.

Clip

Established Member
I'm beyond devastated as I believe the interview went well and I am so suited to the job and the job is perfect for me. I answered all the questions in depth and with good answers (well I thought so!).

Well maybe, just maybe they didnt think the interview went well and they also didnt think that you were right for the job.

I dont mean to sound mean here and i am trying to be constructive but sometimes in interviews that I have conducted those who have presented themselves as super confident and extra extra keen always get my spidey sense tingling. I like confidence in people but some people I have interviewed over the years have just gone in like a bull in a china shop thinking they were a shoe in for the job advertised and it can be quite off putting when you finally hire one and they turn out to be very poor. Compared to those who I have thought were maybe a little quiet but have gone on to bigger and better things and really impressed me.

'Describe a time when' questions are a great way of getting to know a person's abilities and are,in my view, a structured set of questions and they are scored(as has been said) on the quality of your answer. Different interviewers will like different things about how a candidate answers and thus results will vary from time to time.

Dont worry about it - as has been mentioned you have sitll passed the tests anyway so you will be able go to more interviews with them.

But dont ask people if your answers are ok for them again, its not very professional and also portrays you as a needy person who may always be after praise for doing something in your day to day role which may or may not actually warrant praise.

Sorry to be sounding a bit negative but I wish you all the lucki in the world with trying to get a job on the railway. Just maybe tone down your approach in your next interview

Clip

jasew

Pezza

Sorry to hear of your news mate. I had an interview for GA with 2 managers on Friday 8th. They told me I would receive a phone call monday or tuesday but so far not heard a thing. Like you I feel my interview went very well, it was a very relaxed affair not like any I have ever had before. Can I ask which 2 managers your interview was with?

Clip

Established Member
I wouldnt go putting managers names on this forum really. Its not on. Though I know you meant it with good in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.