• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Mk3 sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

Is one of the GA Mk3 sets currently formed with a 1st class coach in amongst the standard class coaches? The 12:00 departure from Norwich yesterday apparently had a declassified 1st class coach, and a number of 1st class ticket holders travelled on this without realising. As a result, there was no complimentary tea or coffee, and the guard didn't mention anything when he checked tickets. My interest is in wanting to get to the bottom of this before potentially assisting in making a complaint to GA. Thanks for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlanFry1

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

Is one of the GA Mk3 sets currently formed with a 1st class coach in amongst the standard class coaches? The 12:00 departure from Norwich yesterday apparently had a declassified 1st class coach, and a number of 1st class ticket holders travelled on this without realising. As a result, there was no complimentary tea or coffee, and the guard didn't mention anything when he checked tickets. My interest is in wanting to get to the bottom of this before potentially assisting in making a complaint to GA. Thanks for any help.

Yes:(:(

TheEdge

Established Member
Yes, one set is currently running around with a declassified first class coach in about D or E position I think.

Not entirely sure why a complaint is needed or how you know there were first class passengers in there not knowing. On GA first class complimentary stuff isn't at seat most of time so they've not really missed out there. I think (don't quote me) the Wifi will have remained free in the out of place first. Of course, if for some reason you find the use of an out of place FO is complaint worthy then they could always just leave the coach out so rather than losing about 30-40 seats 80 are lost...

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes, one set is currently running around with a declassified first class coach in about D or E position I think.

Not entirely sure why a complaint is needed or how you know there were first class passengers in there not knowing. On GA first class complimentary stuff isn't at seat most of time so they've not really missed out there. I think (don't quote me) the Wifi will have remained free in the out of place first. Of course, if for some reason you find the use of an out of place FO is complaint worthy then they could always just leave the coach out so rather than losing about 30-40 seats 80 are lost...
Well, if one pays for a 1st class ticket, one is entitled to the first class experience or a refund. If a 1st class coach was declassified, then the 1st class experience is not being enjoyed. The person who will be complaining held a 1st class ticket and travelled in what turned out to be a standard class coach, and this was not pointed out to her (or at least one other group of 4) when tickets were checked by the guard. The GA 1st class offer includes complimentary refreshments, so I think paying for a cup of tea also warrants a complaint as this probably happened due to approaching from the standard class end of the train (on your assumption that there was no at seat service). Personally, I would have sat in the right place to start with, but not all travellers are that clued up and if they aren't they should be able to expect that staff assist - and a ticket check should be the opportunity to do that.

I am not suggesting that the coach should not be in the rake, just that it should be made clear what it is doing there. I think it is good that GA do this to avoid running a coach short, but when it comes down to it it was a standard class coach. Thanks for your assistance.

Established Member
Without wishing to trivialise the trauma and stress your friend must have suffered, (OK I may be ;) ), are you seriously suggesting complaining over the price of a cup of tea? Good that the world doesn't have bigger problems.

You show your first class ticket to the buffet staff before ordering for the free goodies, it doesn't matter which direction you approach from. The buffet crew make this clear in their announcements. There would normally only be an at seat trolley service on the 12.00 from Norwich if the buffet car was missing.

The use of probably and apparently appear in this thread, something suggests not all the facts are known.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
I used the words probably and apparently because I wasn't there and therefore cannot write with the absolute confidence of someone who was, preferring to be slightly cautious. However, it seems that the facts are known to me (having been confirmed by TheEdge), and that the traveller in question enjoyed an experience that was available to anyone paying the standard class fare. As for your point about how to obtain complimentary refreshments, how is someone who is not fully aware of the entitlement supposed to know how to claim that entitlement? The person I am assisting also stated that announcements were inaudible in the coach she sat in, which renders the method you give as utterly useless. In simple terms, if you pay extra for a journey to receive a better standard of service, and receive what you would have done without paying extra then that constitutes grounds for complaint. The fact that you don't agree and consider it trivial is neither here nor there.

TheEdge

Established Member
If a 1st class coach was declassified, then the 1st class experience is not being enjoyed.

You keep saying this and I would like to make a retort. I deduce that until you got involved this person had no reason to know they were not in first. It seems a little odd to claim that they could not have enjoyed first class in their travels when they apparently had no idea that they were not in first! As to the complimentary refreshments both the catering PAs, notices on the first class table lamps and a notice on the bar itself all include reference to first class items being available on the presentation of the ticket.

An aside in my experience declassified first's on off peak trains will often be as quiet as a normal first as most people will notice it is a first class coach (as you friends clearly did) and not sit in it. When we were using Mk3s in the old short hauled set for a period it was an SO and a FOD. When leaving Yarmouth the SO would be packed and standing and the FOD would be empty, even people told personally they could use it were still hesitant and refuse.

Established Member
And now the announcement is inaudible. Suggest you add that to your complaint and get on with writing it. Simply ask for a refund on the difference between first and standard for the journey made and you may even get a goodwill gesture if you're lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
We should be grateful that Anglia put out a 1st class carriage albeit downgraded at all, rather than missing it out altogether, as a standard one was presumably not available at the time.

theblackwatch

Established Member
So a passenger makes a mistake, and it is down to the TOC to recompense them. :| At least the person concerned won't be responding!

Class 170101

Established Member
I am guessing this is the Mark III Virgin Liveried set. It currently has a first class coach in the middle of standard class coaches. The set has more 1st and less standard seats than an AGA set. Hence probably why its in the middle to avoid short forming the set - a declassified first class selection of seats is better than no seats.

The set I believe has no wifi as Virgin wifi is different to AGA wifi.

TheEdge

Established Member
The set I believe has no wifi as Virgin wifi is different to AGA wifi.

Wifi on the Virgin Mk3 set was controlled by equipment in the DVT whereas the wifi equipment on AGA sets is in the FOD.

As the Virgin DVT was barely ever used by GA for various reasons there is a set with a Virgin FOD and GA DVT so no wifi at all.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Wifi on the Virgin Mk3 set was controlled by equipment in the DVT whereas the wifi equipment on AGA sets is in the FOD.

As the Virgin DVT was barely ever used by GA for various reasons there is a set with a Virgin FOD and GA DVT so no wifi at all.

Is the Virgin DVT still at Crown Point? It's usually shoved in the sidings with a random selection of MK3s and an 08 shunter, from what I could see as the trains go over the swing bridge.

Also, I like First Class. It's nice not to mingle with the riff raff sometimes. :lol: ;)

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
No, I think it has gone for good. Last week it went. Rumour is NC64/Pretendolino is going to TPE.

No, I think it has gone for good. Last week it went. Rumour is NC64/Pretendolino is going to TPE.

DVT was dragged off Anglia last week, destination unknown, let's hope the weather is good for the old girl, I did enjoy her bell buzzer.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The question has been answered. I think we are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.