• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia permitted routes and a buffet query

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandsofEss

Another fare/routeing query from me.

Tomorrow, I'll be travelling from Marden in Kent to a couple of places in Suffolk/Norfolk, returning on Sunday.

My original plan was to purchase an Off-peak RTN (with Gold Card discount) from Marden to Lowestoft, which I believe would allow me to break my outward journey at Halesworth for a few hours.

However, I'm now keen to explore returning from Lowestoft to Marden via Norwich, potentially with a break of journey at Brundall along the way.

Would this count as a permitted route on this ticket?

Also, I plan to schedule my journey to travel on the loco-hauled stock out of Liverpool St. Does anybody know if the buffet car service operates on weekends, and whether it is likely to be crowded?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Both National Rail Enquires, and a journey planner such as that on the Virgin Trains East Coast website, are happy to route you via Halesworth, or via Norwich, for the £63.60 offpeak return. Therefore breaks of journey as you want will be fine. NB that there will be a replacement bus between Paddock Wood and Marden on Sunday.

I am sorry that I can't assist with your rolling-stock/buffet queries.

Last edited:

SandsofEss

Sorry to double post, but:

Alternatively, would it be permitted to buy an Off-peak RTN from Marden to Norwich, breaking my journey at Halesworth on the way up (so travelling via Lowestoft on the outward leg)?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Both National Rail Enquires, and a journey planner such as that on the Virgin Trains East Coast website, are happy to route you via Halesworth, or via Norwich, for the £63.60 offpeak return. Therefore breaks of journey as you want will be fine. NB that there will be a replacement bus between Paddock Wood and Marden on Sunday.

I am sorry that I can't assist with your rolling-stock/buffet queries.

Thanks Romilly,

I should have mentioned that I will be purchasing a ticket from Tonbridge instead of Marden. This currently shows as a £42 off-peak return from Tonbridge to Lowestoft via Halesworth. But it doesn't appear to work for the return journey via Norwich at the same price. Does this mean it would not be permitted to return via Norwich?

Buffet will be in operation on weekends, early weekend services towards London (0700-1000) are relatively well loaded but may be quiet as it's the first weekend after engineering.

TheEdge

Established Member
Lowestoft tickets to/from stations beyond London are all any permitted route and are valid both via Norwich or via the East Suffolk Line in either direction. Shorter distance (North of London) tickets are different and do have route restrictions so beware of splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.