• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia repaint Mark 3 coach?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VP185

It does look smart.... at the moment. Problem is they can't keep any of there stock clean. Generally speaking the majority of Greater Anglia stock is filthy, internally and externally.

Hopefully they've opted to spend money on a decent paint pack which provides a better finish thats easier to keep clean.

SprinterMan

Established Member
It does look smart.... at the moment. Problem is they can't keep any of there stock clean. Generally speaking the majority of Greater Anglia stock is filthy, internally and externally.

Hopefully they've opted to spend money on a decent paint pack which provides a better finish thats easier to keep clean.

The stock is filthy because NXEA never actually cleaned any of their trains. Greater Anglia are cleaning their entire fleet but it takes time as they have something like the 6th largest fleet in the country. This is NXEA's fault, not GA's.
Adam :D

VP185

Cleaning especially the airline seat tables should be being cleaned every night and during turn-round, not once in a blue moon.
You flip down one of those tables at an airline seat and the chances are it'll be tea/coffee stained and food squashed in there.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Cleaning especially the airline seat tables should be being cleaned every night and during turn-round, not once in a blue moon.
You flip down one of those tables at an airline seat and the chances are it'll be tea/coffee stained and food squashed in there.

Yes, XC are also quite bad at that, but their routes are alot longer and their stock stables in odd places so i guess they have an excuse.

CC 72100

Established Member
Yes, XC are also quite bad at that, but their routes are alot longer and their stock stables in odd places so i guess they have an excuse.

XC are quite bad at a lot of cleaning-related stuff in my experience <(

bronzeonion

Chapmans from the 158's in the ATW MK3's?! I pray to god this does not happen! The IC70 seats are the most comfortable InterCity seat on a train operated in the UK imo. Replacing them with Chapman seats, which look and feel so cheap and are definitely not suited to long journeys would be a disaster!

Skimble19

Established Member
Chapmans from the 158's in the ATW MK3's?! I pray to god this does not happen! The IC70 seats are the most comfortable InterCity seat on a train operated in the UK imo. Replacing them with Chapman seats, which look and feel so cheap and are definitely not suited to long journeys would be a disaster!

Really? Are people actually still going on about this?!

IC70 seats WILL be going in the next 8 years (probably less!), end of.

SprinterMan

Established Member

It is now known that ATW's Mark 3s are being fitted with Grammer seats, like the REFURBISHED 158s and FGW's HSTs. Fans of IC70 seats, do not despair as Chiltern, Greater Anglia, East Midlands Trains and Grand Central will all be using IC70 seats for the foreseeable future.

387star

On Moderation
Are they keeping the mk2s or are these also replacing them?

The mk2s have the rather drab original Arriva upholstery the present grey and blue is much more stylish

jon0844

Veteran Member
Is it IC70 seating in the first class section on a 317/1? Yes, they're comfortable but hardly the most comfortable seats I've ever been in.

Is the IC70 seat up there with GNER as being the best ever, as viewed by those who wear rose-tinted spectacles?

SprinterMan

Established Member
Are they keeping the mk2s or are these also replacing them?

The mk2s have the rather drab original Arriva upholstery the present grey and blue is much more stylish

AFAIK, the Mark 2s are being stored when the Mark 3s come in.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Is it IC70 seating in the first class section on a 317/1? Yes, they're comfortable but hardly the most comfortable seats I've ever been in.

Is the IC70 seat up there with GNER as being the best ever, as viewed by those who wear rose-tinted spectacles?

Put it this way. I can experience a three hour journey on an IC70 seat without my bottom going to sleep. Alas, the same can't be said for a 2.5 hour journey on one of the Grammer seats.

Since I've been able to compare both of these journeys quite recently, I don't think this is a case of rose tinted spectacles.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Put it this way. I can experience a three hour journey on an IC70 seat without my bottom going to sleep. Alas, the same can't be said for a 2.5 hour journey on one of the Grammer seats.

Since I've been able to compare both of these journeys quite recently, I don't think this is a case of rose tinted spectacles.

I have a big soft spot for the Grammer seats, as those headrests are the best I have ever come across (even better than a Northern Spirit 142 :P) but that bases would be nicer if they were softer. IC70 seats are coil sprung (I think) so are very comfortable but the backs are too low and the armrests are stupid, and cannot be moved. I am in 2 minds about IC70 seats. They are far better than Chapman seats, but I still prefer Grammer seats.

387star

On Moderation
I have yet to sample the Northern Spirit installed seats on the 142s. Ironic that for such an infamous unit the seats on certain examples whould be so comfortable! will hopefully sample one soon

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have a big soft spot for the Grammer seats, as those headrests are the best I have ever come across (even better than a Northern Spirit 142 :P) but that bases would be nicer if they were softer. IC70 seats are coil sprung (I think) so are very comfortable but the backs are too low and the armrests are stupid, and cannot be moved. I am in 2 minds about IC70 seats. They are far better than Chapman seats, but I still prefer Grammer seats.

I'm relatively short so I've never been troubled by the low back seats.

Out of interest, If Greater Anglia are about to strip out all their IC70 seats, please can Northern snap them up and use them for a cheap refurb of bus seat and merseyrail Pacers ?

Please - pretty please ?

Skimble19

Established Member
I'm relatively short so I've never been troubled by the low back seats.

Out of interest, If Greater Anglia are about to strip out all their IC70 seats, please can Northern snap them up and use them for a cheap refurb of bus seat and merseyrail Pacers ?

Please - pretty please ?

They'd have to be removed by 2020. Put it this way, stock that's refurbished from now on (excluding Chiltern - they're doing the doors etc now and seats in a few years) is fairly likely to have it removed, and sent to the scrap heap - perhaps you might be able to buy one? :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They'd have to be removed by 2020. Put it this way, stock that's refurbished from now on (excluding Chiltern - they're doing the doors etc now and seats in a few years) is fairly likely to have it removed, and sent to the scrap heap - perhaps you might be able to buy one? :lol:

Well, theoretically they're supposed to have removed the pacers by then anyway :lol:

If I we're to have a train seat in my house, it would have to be something in trojan :)

Yew

Established Member
2020 you say? I want a few first class IC70's then :)

fgwrich

Established Member

*Cough* Class 442s *Cough*

Grammar seats? Oh for god sake! Why are IC70's being phased out anyway?

Wouldn't be able to use the original seats in these Mk3s, as there ex Mk3 FOs - So although wide 2+1 seats would be nice, they wouldn't really provide enough seats vs the Mk2s...And, we wouldn't want those nice paying people in First class being upstaged by standard class now would we? :lol:

LE Greys

Established Member
To add to the IC-70 debate, when I was heading for Aberdeen on Tuesday, I found myself in the MML set. On sitting down in an IC-70, I remember thinking, 'This is so soft!'

fgwrich

Established Member

LE Greys

Established Member
http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1206b.htm

What seats are these in the FGW Mark 2s? They look like IC70s but with proper headrests.

They look rather like the IC-80 seats from APT (sorry, couldn't find a link that wasn't to someone else's flikr site). They were supposed not to be very comfortable, but they actually don't look too bad, although the headrest seems too far forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.