• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia repaint Mark 3 coach?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
That does look quite smart, although maybe a little plain. Definately much better than EC's livery :)

Just a shame its not IC swallow :)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is that a red stripe I spy over the catering area I spy? If so good news as it's about time TOCs brought back the full range colour bands that BR used to use as not all even bother with a stripe to identify first class!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Is that a red stripe I spy over the catering area I spy? If so good news as it's about time TOCs brought back the full range colour bands that BR used to use as not all even bother with a stripe to identify first class!

I thought a red stripe was for a non-corridoor compartment carriage ;)

BTW, are they keeping the original seats ?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought a red stripe was for a non-corridoor compartment carriage

Maybe it was but I couldn't possible comment what with me not being alive when non-corridor compartment stock was in service ;)

SprinterMan

Established Member
I thought a red stripe was for a non-corridoor compartment carriage ;)

BTW, are they keeping the original seats ?

Yeah, I think this was just a repaint.
Adam :D

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

And then the whole formation can look like an ill thought out hotchpotch mess, not just the loco! ;)

If it ends up in the same train as the one other Mark 3 coach they have in full GA colours (albeit with blue doors - 10132?) then that will be ok perhaps :P

It is interesting they have repainted it, as they have several different liveries on the Mark 3s as it is.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
If it ends up in the same train as the one other Mark 3 coach they have in full GA colours (albeit with blue doors - 10132?) then that will be ok perhaps :P

It is interesting they have repainted it, as they have several different liveries on the Mark 3s as it is.

It'll certainly add to the variety that is present on the railways, which from an enthusiasts' perspective, is to be welcomed :) And Anglia seems to have more of that than most! :)

SprinterMan

Established Member
It'll certainly add to the variety that is present on the railways, which from an enthusiasts' perspective, is to be welcomed :) And Anglia seems to have more of that than most! :)

Yepp :P

Incidentally, does anyone know the number of the Polar White (blue doors) Mark 3 GA also have (turns out its not 10132)

Skimble19

Established Member
Hmm, they grey goes too far down for my liking.. Nice to see they're spending extra cash tho - looks like they're keen to get that longer franchise.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Pity that neither the GA nor the ATW mark 3s are getting power doors, Chiltern style. The ATW ones especially, as they're not a current part of the active fleet. For GA to do it would mean taking a complete rake out of use at a time, which would be disruptive (perhaps requiring some of the 317/7s back in use as cover) as I'd have thought a mixed rake would play havoc with controls!

rail-britain

Established Member
That does look quite smart, although maybe a little plain. Definately much better than EC's livery
It's more like Virgin Trains livery, and I am surprised it has been allowed to be this close (on the borders of passing off)

David10

Pity that neither the GA nor the ATW mark 3s are getting power doors, Chiltern style. The ATW ones especially, as they're not a current part of the active fleet. For GA to do it would mean taking a complete rake out of use at a time, which would be disruptive (perhaps requiring some of the 317/7s back in use as cover) as I'd have thought a mixed rake would play havoc with controls!
A set cannot be run with a mixture of manual and power doors. The issue of whether to refurbish or replace GA's Mk3s will be addressed when the franchise is relet in 2014.

The Welsh Government has only committed to leasing the Mk3s until the end of the ATW franchise in 2018. Did here a rumour that these may receieve the Chapman seating from the 158s. Hopefully someone rescued enough IC70 seats from the HST refurbishments to spare us of this.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Eh? The Virgin Trains livery, on the Mark 3s, has:
Red roof
Grey Body
Black and White stripy doors
see, for example, here

The only thing the GA livery has in common is the black window band. Whioch the 'one' and NXEA liveries had too.
They look nothing alike.

Yew

Established Member
It's more like Virgin Trains livery, and I am surprised it has been allowed to be this close (on the borders of passing off)

I was thinking that actually, if you put the word Virgin on the side it would fit right in in a rake of Pretendolino :)

Are those Cargo-D coaches the ones that where in BR two tone livery that worked with chiltern for a while?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was thinking that actually, if you put the word Virgin on the side it would fit right in in a rake of Pretendolino

Apart from the different coloured roof, door and body yeah it would fit right in :lol:

SprinterMan

Established Member
Did here a rumour that these may receieve the Chapman seating from the 158s. Hopefully someone rescued enough IC70 seats from the HST refurbishments to spare us of this.

Oh god I hope not. As much as IC70s have their flaws, they are long haul seats, whereas chapman seats are just too uncomfortable for journeys of over an hour. It would be a real shame if the WAG express becomes less comfortable than the 158s/175s.

Yeah, I mean this one, thanks :)

Sir_Clagalot

Looks quite smart that!! Anyone else notice the red handrails by the doors vice white as is the more usual colour for handrails!! (guessing it's for visibility purposes?)
The logo looks like it could have been much bigger, it looks a trifle lost on there!

SprinterMan

Established Member
Looks quite smart that!! Anyone else notice the red handrails by the doors vice white as is the more usual colour for handrails!! (guessing it's for visibility purposes?)
The logo looks like it could have been much bigger, it looks a trifle lost on there!

It does look good, doesn't it. I wonder how many Mark 3 will be repainted. A bigger logo would be nice though, like on 82107.

Well, keeping on the subject of Mk3s, Pullman Rail are working on repainting and refurbishing the first set of Mk3s for ATW.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/turners_pics/7313302292/

No doors or windows, eh?
Standard NXEA refurbishment if you ask me :P

Schnellzug

Established Member
Now that looks nice. The red Doors and the yellow and red stripe set it off nicely. And people were saying that they wouldn't be bothering to do anything, see.
Not that controversial, the original 1st class seats are loved by most, its the standard IC70 seats (not in this vehicle) that everyone hates :P

Who hates them? They've always been standard in Mk3s, haven't they, and most people seem to prefer them to a Voyager.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Now that looks nice. The red Doors and the yellow and red stripe set it off nicely. And people were saying that they wouldn't be bothering to do anything, see.

It certainly does, GA livery in general does look better than
Who hates them? They've always been standard in Mk3s, haven't they, and most people seem to prefer them to a Voyager.
IC70 seats are a love/hate thing like Marmite or Margaret Thatcher. I sometimes hate them, sometimes love them depending on what day you catch me on. The armrests are very, very stupid but the actual seats are very nice, if a bit low.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Well, keeping on the subject of Mk3s, Pullman Rail are working on repainting and refurbishing the first set of Mk3s for ATW.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/turners_pics/7313302292/

....No doors or windows, eh?
Standard NXEA refurbishment if you ask me :P....

Makes emergency egress much easier and passengers won't be hurt by shards of glass as they are flung out of the window apertures during a crash either, double bonus! Why the powers that be haven't deemed this a crucial part of rolling stock design I have no idea!:roll::lol:

Closer to XC I think, but still different enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.