• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
So this morning almost all local routes are seemingly cancelled due te signalling problems which doesn't effect legacy rolling stock it seems or other operators.

99 cancellations.

Just been told Felixstowe is out for the rest of the day. If it was really signalling they'd not be saying It so quick

Fxst services were cancelled all day at about 0400

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
The app says Norwich signalling issues but I can also see at least three Southend Vic cancellations too.

I think the signalling problems is a bit of a red herring, the signalling issue, is a by-product of the problem !

superjohn

The 1930 has just departed Liverpool Street in reverse formation, 90002 at the country end.

Not something that happens very often, has it made its way to Harwich at some point?

Alfie1014

I think it was the set that came back from Bounds Green on Friday evening but due to the signalling problems between Stratford and Liv St ran straight down the GEML (empty to Colchester) before working the 18:10 down?

Established Member
I think it was the set that came back from Bounds Green on Friday evening but due to the signalling problems between Stratford and Liv St ran straight down the GEML (empty to Colchester) before working the 18:10 down?

That would be it, saw it running into Norwich in reverse formation Friday evening. Guess they haven’t got round to turning it back yet.

trebor79

Established Member
That would be it, saw it running into Norwich in reverse formation Friday evening. Guess they haven’t got round to turning it back yet.
I should think a set running in reverse is the least of their worries right now.

Alfie1014

GAs website is now claiming that the rural service disruptions will continue until further notice and the Twitter team are responding that they are waiting for NR to confirm what service they will be able to operate tomorrow.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
GAs website is now claiming that the rural service disruptions will continue until further notice and the Twitter team are responding that they are waiting for NR to confirm what service they will be able to operate tomorrow.

I've seen that, which appears to be a change of tack as on Saturday they were saying they expect things to run on Sunday and today they expect things to run on Monday, but now they're pushing the line about Network Rail.

A post on another forum claims that there has been very clear instructions from management to their subordinates, about what is communicated, but there is no way of verifying if that is correct or is just hearsay.

The Q&A on the Greater Anglia site since yesterday evening suggests this is going to last for weeks and appears to be something of a rearguard action to try and see off any criticism more than anything else.

Personally if I was planning on using the local lines between now and the end of the month, I would be actively exploring other options to avoid frustration and potential long waits and delays.

gingerheid

Established Member
Well. It's reasonable to think that Cambridge North to Ipswich could take 3h30m ish tomorrow (assuming a bus straight from North leaving at a random time, calling all stations, medium traffic, a random connection time at Bury, and not allowing for full buses). I'm certainly planning to drive for the foreseeable future, and feeling grateful that I can (much as I hate driving).

I look forward to meeting the 755s again when they... I mean the signals are working.

For Monday Sudbury, Felixstowe and Peterborough services are suspended.

Norwich - Cambridge services terminate at Ely and Ipswich - Cambridge due to run every two hours. The Sheringhams will continue to terminate at Cromer.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
You would never guess that they are getting worse press in Norfolk than Suffolk. :rolleyes:

Generally some of the lines in Norfolk have access to direct buses doing similar routes, there's going to be a lot of passengers from Ipswich traveling via Norwich I would think - I assume they are not making people pay the higher fare for traveling this way?

Last edited:

Grumbler

You would never guess that they are getting worse press in Norfolk than Suffolk. :rolleyes:

Generally the lines in Norfolk have far better alternative options than the Suffolk ones apart from Felixstowe and Sudbury.
At least I have a "twirly" bus pass!

Tug

Have 2 x 156's been withdrawn over the weekend and where are the remaining 156's and the 170 running?

ashkeba

Established Member
Well. It's reasonable to think that Cambridge North to Ipswich could take 3h30m ish tomorrow (assuming a bus straight from North leaving at a random time, calling all stations, medium traffic, a random connection time at Bury, and not allowing for full buses). I'm certainly planning to drive for the foreseeable future, and feeling grateful that I can (much as I hate driving).
The Cambridge-Norwich 727 bus takes 2h every 2h and £12 tickets are still available for today. It is competitive on time with the 1h40ish trains for many journeys because the bus stations are more central than the train stations, but the bus does not run in the morning peak.

Tug

Have 2 x 156's been withdrawn over the weekend and where are the remaining 156's and the 170 running?

As was reported yesterday by F Great Eastern there is a path at 1009 today (Monday) for a train from Norwich Crown Point to Neville Hill.

The expectation was that this was 156 units. Can anybody confirm what this train is comprised of?
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00329/2019-12-09/detailed

PS Ashkeba posted 727 service above is a National Express coach

As noted upthread an EMT employee posted the following on twitter re 156 transfer dates. Anyone confirm if 419 and 417 have gone now?

419 - Ths 5 Dec
417 - Mon 9 Dec
409 - Fri 13 Dec
416 - Fri 13 Dec
412 - Mon 16 Dec
418 - Mon 23 Dec
422 - Mon 23 Dec
402 - Fri 27 Dec
407 - Fri 27 Dec

LowLevel

Established Member
As noted upthread an EMT employee posted the following on twitter re 156 transfer dates. Anyone confirm if 419 and 417 have gone now?

419 - Ths 5 Dec
417 - Mon 9 Dec
409 - Fri 13 Dec
416 - Fri 13 Dec
412 - Mon 16 Dec
418 - Mon 23 Dec
422 - Mon 23 Dec
402 - Fri 27 Dec
407 - Fri 27 Dec

I don't believe any have moved over yet. It'll be a pain if they aren't there for the timetable change as the diagrams have been issued but they're not desperately required until Jan 1st.

LAX54

Established Member
Can't see any 156's going in the short term....surely ?? have to sort out the 755's first, but do they come after the Italian Stadlers ! LOL

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Can't see any 156's going in the short term....surely ?? have to sort out the 755's first, but do they come after the Italian Stadlers ! LOL

I assume you are talking about this?
https://railcolornews.com/2019/10/3...osta-enters-service-but-not-without-problems/

This bit raised a few eyebrows
In an answer, dated from 21.10.2019, Stadler issued an apology for the recently caused inconveniences. The manufacturer confirmed that there are issues, related to the development of the rolling stock, and more specifically: ‘the interaction between vehicles and the specific railway infrastructure of the line.’

Tug

.....................have to sort out the 755's first, but do they come after the Italian Stadlers !

It isn't impossible that the answer for one fleet will largely provide the answer to the other if this is a general Stadler problem.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
It isn't impossible that the answer for one fleet will largely provide the answer to the other if this is a general Stadler problem.

They might get more answers from the Italian lot, since from what I understand there is no need to press them into service due to a lack of stock like there is here.

Just had a member of Greater Anglia staff, who with a sigh, admitted there were no problems with signalling and that not having enough trains was the issue.

Tug

Just had a member of Greater Anglia staff, who with a sigh, admitted there were no problems with signalling and that not having enough trains was the issue.

That might explain the cancellations but it surely does not explain the delays, the wheel cleaning, the level crossing issues nor the disappearing trains?

Alfie1014

In this evening’s BBC Look East (which only repeated part of Jonathan Denby’s interview from last week and had no new content from the TOC or NR) it was stated that Bombardier have acknowledged that the 720s won’t be appearing until the Spring, not late this year/early next as was previously reported.

dk1

Veteran Member
In this evening’s BBC Look East (which only repeated part of Jonathan Denby’s interview from last week and had no new content from the TOC or NR) it was stated that Bombardier have acknowledged that the 720s won’t be appearing until the Spring, not late this year/early next as was previously reported.
I doubt many are surprised by this.

samuelmorris

Established Member
This bit raised a few eyebrows
Assuming that is actually true, it's certainly one of many such cases. This may well be a gross generalisation but I can't help but feel the UK's infrastructure really ought to be better at dealing with new stock. The 80x were perhaps an unusual case given their controversial design, but every new type of stock seems to cause this sort of thing lately.

I doubt many are surprised by this.
Joe public, yes. Railway people, no. I personally think even Spring is rather optimistic.

dk1

Veteran Member
Indeed not, but first time it’s been formally admitted by Bombardier.
Nobody seems to want to be truthful about anything anymore for fear of admitting liability & the £millions involved no matter how blatantly obvious it is where the responsibility lies.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Nobody seems to want to be truthful about anything anymore for fear of admitting liability & the £millions involved no matter how blatantly obvious it is where the responsibility lies.

Someones going to have to cough up the delay repay bill which is going to be huge.

The most interesting thing of the local press articles today was the talk that staff had been speaking to the press about the situation and clearly had been feeding the press bits of information as to what is going on. With murmurings of discontent from the RMT about the new trains and catering staff as well it doesn't paint a picture of the most happiest workplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.