• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Rumours they can't operate on the main line? Is that because the special signalling arrangements in place are impractical for busier parts of the network?
That and the large number of AHB crossings although unsure whether these are more treadle or track circuit operated to be honest. Swills may be able to enlighten us more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Given that they're clearly playing rotate the missing trains (except re Peterborough) , I wish they'd tell us in advance so we could guess this sort of thing...

That's the problem, if you're needing to get an early train it really is pot luck and short of getting up at 4am and having a look there is no real way of knowing which means you can't plan anything. At least with the trains later in the day you have a bit of notice, but for people heading to work it's hard to figure what is going on.

The guard on my train yesterday said the staff don't know until the day of the train as well, but are operations really deciding things on the morning or are the decisions being made the night before and not released until the next morning in case something changes? Even to have a bit of an idea would be helpful.

Right now I'm basing all my AM trips off the assumption that the train I'd normally take would not run so go for the earlier one and therefore if that's cancelled I won't be late.

Tug

Right now I'm basing all my AM trips off the assumption that the train I'd normally take would not run so go for the earlier one and therefore if that's cancelled I won't be late.

That works fine unless you have connecting trains. Given that both trains might have problems you end up setting off awfully early.

It would help if they opened up prebooked trains so that you could get you journey underway rather than say waiting at Norwich for a London train that is the one you are booked on but which is then cancelled despite the fact you have been sitting at Norwich for over an hour watching the 2 previous London trains leave. When services are uncertain restrictions don't help. In rural areas changing taxi times (to the station) can be impossible around school / work commuting hours so last minute changes are impossible to deal with.

PS. I agree with F Great Eastern that the front line staff are great. I am sure that they are getting a lot of grief when they are as confused and powerless as the (hope soon to be) passengers. Those responsible are hiding where the passengers don't get and providing infor.

Last edited:

eastdyke

Established Member
755 booked on the 20:28 then back to Norwich in electric mode. The restriction on running on AC appears to be lifted confirming a comment from Stadler yesterday but there are rumours these units cannot now operate on the main line. Only other option is to return ECS to Crown Point via the East Suffolk.
Thanks! Glad it was a 755.
Or be hauled back to CP? :|
Edit to add:
Looking at RTT, the 20.28 was activated at 15.27.
RTT is now saying cancelled with reason:
This service was cancelled due to a problem with rolling stock (DD).
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L72960/2019-12-11/detailed
It seems that the 21.28 will, however, run:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L72965/2019-12-11/detailed
I have nothing to add :'(

Last edited:

HLE

Established Member
I'll say one thing. You wouldn't envy the poor sods in control at the minute.

dk1

Veteran Member

F Great Eastern

Established Member
That works fine unless you have connecting trains. Given that both trains might have problems you end up setting off awfully early.

If you have connecting rural trains then that is indeed a problem.

The line that I've used Tuesday and will on Friday is to Lowestoft. From Ipswich the earliest journey planner result to get to Lowestoft in the morning involves a considerable wait and change at Saxmundham (with the connecting train cancelled today)and the second involves a train to Norwich and then a Lowestoft service from there. Then you've got the 07:35 IPS-LWT or 09:17 IPS-LWT, There's also a couple of options via Norwich (07:55 NOR-LWT or 08:55 NOR-LWT). Via Norwich looks safer, since at least if one is cancelled, you only have to wait an hour for the next one rather than 1hr 40 mins and the chances are not both NOR-LWT will be canceled.

[quote[It would help if they opened up prebooked trains so that you could get you journey underway rather than say waiting at Norwich for a London train that is the one you are booked on but which is then cancelled despite the fact you have been sitting at Norwich for over an hour watching the 2 previous London trains leave. When services are uncertain restrictions don't help. In rural areas changing taxi times (to the station) can be impossible around school / work commuting hours so last minute changes are impossible to deal with.[/quote]

Honestly, as DK1 has pointed out as well, I haven't seen GA guards be very fussy at all about restrictions as long as they are reasonable as in they are because of the cancellations and chaos on the rural line, rather than someone chancing their arm to save a few bucks. I've had colleagues travel late on advance tickets no problem in the last week and one was allowed on an earlier train today rather than hanging around. Might be more of a problem if you are traveling early on another TOCs service though that is a connection.

LAX54

Established Member
That and the large number of AHB crossings although unsure whether these are more treadle or track circuit operated to be honest. Swills may be able to enlighten us more.

Sorry, up here we are all a bit confused as to what is going on at all really ! We know after the Elmswell incident the 755's had their pans locked down, we had a 755 run up to Ipswich yesterday to form the Felixstowe, that ran up with a 37 on the front, but we are told could have run on OHL! and it was dealt with on the ML as a train not guaranted to work track circuits,
Yes agree and similar the signallers @swills. Chapeau!

The path for ECS return to CP is active on RTT here:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F14929/2019-12-11/detailed

It has been...'interesting' :) We had Line Blocks (NR3180) to examine the 755s, from Sunday to Wednesday morning we had, had 96 of the bloody things, the workload was through the roof, also add to that, 3.5 workngf from Norwich to Whitlingham (all trains) and Trowse to Wymondham (all trains), it was / is a real pain, we have now revised the examination method, which as eased it.

Class 755's on the ML, have to be treated the same as a 6Z09 / 7Z09, luckily all the AHB's on the ML are treadle as well as TC.

We are 3.5 working on ALL trains, simply to make it consistent, and to avoid any errors, NOT that the 156's 170 do not work TC's ! (they do)

F Great Eastern

Established Member
MK3 set I was on this morning was missing a standard class carriage with another locked out of use and in the dark all lights went out and power went off couple of times for few seconds. Cold too.

Also about twenty minutes ago saw a Stansted Flirt with Bishops Stortford on front.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Some very welcome news emerging this morning that most restrictions on the Stadler fleet are lifted. Nothing confirmed but did hear that it applies from 0200 this morning. Too late to try to run a near normal service but hopefully improving throughout the day and weekend.

LAX54

Established Member
Some very welcome news emerging this morning that most restrictions on the Stadler fleet are lifted. Nothing confirmed but did hear that it applies from 0200 this morning. Too late to try to run a near normal service but hopefully improving throughout the day and weekend.
Felixstowe back to hourly from 0958, Yarmouth and Lowestoft crewing issues at the mo

dk1

Veteran Member
Felixstowe back to hourly from 0958, Yarmouth and Lowestoft crewing issues at the mo
Crewing issues is unusual unless it's down to late running or yesterday's plan. Should be a full compliment. Might even get a seat in the mess and TV rooms now lol.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Some very welcome news emerging this morning that most restrictions on the Stadler fleet are lifted. Nothing confirmed but did hear that it applies from 0200 this morning.

Is that the same restrictions that we've been told for days that were related to signalling systems and nothing at all to do with the Stadlers?

Need to have a look at GA's PR today, no doubt we'll be hearing things like the signalling system has been fixed, not the issues with the trains on the routes.

dk1

Veteran Member
Is that the same restrictions that we've been told for days that were related to signalling systems and nothing at all to do with the Stadlers?

Need to have a look at GA's PR today, no doubt we'll be hearing things like the signalling system has been fixed, not the issues with the trains on the routes.
Not been told anything about who or what is responsible & if I'm honest I don't really care. Just be glad to get back to some normality. Been an awful week for so many.

dk1

Veteran Member
How are things looking for the new Stansted services next week ?
I'm on one Sunday. Not heard anything yet. It relies on both AC mode & permissive working into & out of the Airport. Cutting it fine but fingers crossed.

delticdave

I'm on one Sunday. Not heard anything yet. It relies on both AC mode & permissive working into & out of the Airport. Cutting it fine but fingers crossed.

Please forgive my ignorance, "permissive working", does that indicate that you / the 755 will have to share a platform at Stansted with another train? There is a short bay there, used by XC DMU's, (probably to keep diesel exhausts away from the otherwise enclosed station), but maybe unavailable for the new GA Norwich services.

dk1

Veteran Member
Please forgive my ignorance, "permissive working", does that indicate that you / the 755 will have to share a platform at Stansted with another train? There is a short bay there, used by XC DMU's, (probably to keep diesel exhausts away from the otherwise enclosed station), but maybe unavailable for the new GA Norwich services.
XC take up platform 2 for 40mins in every hour. Only one off pattern afternoon GA service is planned to use that bay SX. For the most part they will enter platform 1or3 just before a Stansted Express from Liverpool St (they do have some built in recovery) then follow it out a few minutes later.

Nighthawke

Very pleased that services running on the Norwich Cambridge for my one journey in several months, albeit getting to Cambridge nearly half an hour late. There was one delay where we had to wait for the barriers to lower at a level crossing - not sure what that implies as a potential ongoing issue? Return journey almost ran to plan losing 4 mins by arrival at Brandon. Nice to have the new 755s but to be honest I would have settled for anything to get me there!

Bikeman78

Established Member
I went on a few PRM 317s the other day. They have the larger toilet and a big empty space next to it for two wheelchairs. There are only two seats left in that section. The old rubber door buttons have been replaced by the standard LED buttons though the positions of the open and close buttons have been switched. So now there will be 317s, with the open button at the bottom, running alongside 379s that have the open button at the top. Not very helpful for blind or partially sighted people. Also half the inside door buttons have been plated over so there is only one set of buttons per pair of doors. There are the usual loud door release and hustle alarms that have been fitted to most 1980s units. The audio and visual PIS is unchanged.

There are more units done that I expected. I think some units, for example 317341/343, have done the mods done at Clacton.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
What's the situation with the Class 90s this morning? There's looks to be three diagrams out this morning?

All these are cancelled:
07:00 London Liverpool Street to Norwich due 08:50
07:00 Norwich to London Liverpool Street due 08:55
07:30 Norwich to London Liverpool Street due 09:19

dk1

Veteran Member
What's the situation with the Class 90s this morning? There's looks to be three diagrams out this morning?

All these are cancelled:
07:00 London Liverpool Street to Norwich due 08:50
07:00 Norwich to London Liverpool Street due 08:55
07:30 Norwich to London Liverpool Street due 09:19
Depot congestion for the latter two. Also causing problems with units.

I think you'll find that unless things change the whole diagram starting with the 07:00 down road will be lost today so expect no 12:00 or 17:00 from Liv St either.

Last edited:

Tug

Depot congestion for the latter two. Also causing problems with units.

I think you'll find that unless things change the whole diagram starting with the 07:00 down road will be lost today so expect no 12:00 or 17:00 from Liv St either.

This just beggars belief. How may passengers have been inconvenienced by this idiocy.

Alfie1014

Norwich in 90 diagram cancelled so 09:00 and 17:00 up and 11:00 and 19:00 down cancelled which are all least followed by a normal calling service.

dk1

Veteran Member
Norwich will be one of the best IC routes when the 745s arrive, as long as the seat pitch is good. Do we know if they have a trolley or just the buffet shop?
Both will be provided on selected services. Most will be just a buffet counter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.