• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member

Bikeman78

Established Member
The open button at bottom is now standardised.
The original system was direct pneumatic control with the buttons to open so easy to have on both sides, retrofitting electronic control and duplicating and getting them communicating on ~35year old stock less easy. (following what was done on the SN 455 a decade ago and works well)
The 800s have the open button on top so it doesn't appear to be standard. It certainly confuses me. Back in the 1990s I'd reach for the top button and hold it in as the train stopped. The the doors would open as soon as they were released by the train crew. Now I have to look which way round they are.

Anyway, with regard to 317s, I took my 3 year old for a ride the other day. We went on a few unmodified units. Then we went on a modified set and he said "Daddy, someone has taken the buttons!" Also, despite the shiny new buttons, they retain the feature that you have to hold the button in to open the doors, rather than press and release. I'm always astonished by how many people cannot cope with this and stand by the doors looking helpless. Are they all first time travellers?

Astro_Orbiter

Haha yup as someone who works these units every single station there's someone who jabs the buttons repeatedly (door doesn't open), gets frantic and runs to a set of already open doors. The refurbished units are getting "Press and hold" stickers applied on the exterior I saw yesterday

Rick1984

I've never come across buttons you have to hold down to open doors. This unique to class 317?

samuelmorris

Established Member
The doors are still air powered on 317's not electrical which is why you have to hold it down
Indeed - air operated doors can still be converted to be electrically actuated, but presumably the cost of doing so wasn't deemed justified for PRM modifying the 317s with barely a year of service left.

Astro_Orbiter

Indeed - air operated doors can still be converted to be electrically actuated, but presumably the cost of doing so wasn't deemed justified for PRM modifying the 317s with barely a year of service left.
Yeah,and I'm not sure the doors on 317's cause that much of an issue, it doesn't strike me as being a weak link or anything. I know last year they had a lot of work done in Coldhams Lane on the 317 doors, to clean them all out and service them.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Yeah,and I'm not sure the doors on 317's cause that much of an issue, it doesn't strike me as being a weak link or anything. I know last year they had a lot of work done in Coldhams Lane on the 317 doors, to clean them all out and service them.
Not really but I'd imagine it's probably not actually PRM compliant. The properly blind may struggle with the fact you have to hold the button in several seconds before the door opens.

TheEdge

Established Member

eastdyke

Established Member
271 is now waiting to go to its new Welsh home (possibly on Friday) but is out of squadron service. 156417 is out today for its last day but once it gets to Crown Point today it brings the curtain down on Sprinters in East Anglia.
The King is dead, long live the King.
Thank you for the update. Notable day!
Here's hoping that all things new become gold standard for operational reliability to bring all of their benefits to the many before too long :cake:

Alfie1014

Thank you for the update. Notable day!
Here's hoping that all things new become gold standard for operational reliability to bring all of their benefits to the many before too long :cake:

Good job there are more 755s than the ‘heritage’ units as the failure rate seems astronomical, or are there just some lemons in the fleet that keep failing?

Bikeman78

Established Member
Not really but I'd imagine it's probably not actually PRM compliant. The properly blind may struggle with the fact you have to hold the button in several seconds before the door opens.
They'll definitely struggle now because two thirds of the fleet have the open button above the close while the 15 or so that have been modified have it underneath!

Also I doubt that the 317s will be gone by the end of this year. Unless they keep the 379s and use them for Hertford East.

DannyMich2018

271 is now waiting to go to its new Welsh home (possibly on Friday) but is out of squadron service. 156417 is out today for its last day but once it gets to Crown Point today it brings the curtain down on Sprinters in East Anglia.

The King is dead, long live the King.
Class 158's will still be seen at Norwich on the EMR Liverpool to Norwich service so not all is lost. :)

Icky Qualms

Saw in the distance an ex GA 156 at Ely this afternoon
Was it working an East Midlands service does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.