• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Although they will be cleared for it, under the planned use the 745s won't be seen at Cambridge in anything other than very disrupted working. And under the current timetable I'd guess that if the 745s were able to be brought in on the Stansted services the 379s would possibly be enough to cover all the 317 diagrams?
There are already enough 379s to run everything. The current Hertford/Cambridge/Stansted service requires 20 units. As it stands, six pairs of 379s do Cambridge and Stansted whilst four pairs of 317s are going to Hertford. They could park up all the 317s but then people might lose traction knowledge and they'd all have numerous faults if/when they tried to use them again after months of open storage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
It would be good to start using them on Stansted / Cambridge services - at least to get the WA drivers used to using them on a regular basis - particularly if there are more units available than needed for the current cut-back GE timetable. Plus it would facilitate withdrawal of the clapped out WA Class 317's.
Out of interest, in a post Coronavirus world, i'm wondering how the Norwich to Stansted service will stable at Stansted once the 745/1's are in service. Currently a 755/4 can draw up to an 8-car Class 379 and share the same platform at Stansted and vice versa, but how will that work once the 745/1s are fully deployed?

Good question. I don't sign it but do remember hearing it can accommodate 16.

Class 745 and Class 755/4 both fit at once in Platform 1 but not Platform 3 at Stansted Airport.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Class 745 and Class 755/4 both fit at once in Platform 1 but not Platform 3 at Stansted Airport.
I know that "actually getting the platforms that need lengthened lengthened " has not been a strength of the franchise but is there physically space (might need switches and signals moved-- which would be pricey) to extend 3 sufficiently? Presumably such works would also extend 2?

Established Member
37402 is currently taking 7 mark 3 coaches from Crown Point to Booths in Rotherham.

samuelmorris

Established Member
January figures updated from this month's MR mag. The 755s are now split into /3 and /4 figures separately with the /3s significantly lower than the /4s. I haven't changed the graph yet and have taken the mean of the two figures, weighted by how many of each unit were in service during that period.

https://i.imgur.com/K7BacAC.png

Promising start for the 745s but 755s show an unfortunate regression that suggests perhaps December may have been a fluke. Of course, data from March onwards will be a bit questionable due to the different operations at present, but everything up to February's should be solid.

Astro_Orbiter

There are already enough 379s to run everything. The current Hertford/Cambridge/Stansted service requires 20 units. As it stands, six pairs of 379s do Cambridge and Stansted whilst four pairs of 317s are going to Hertford. They could park up all the 317s but then people might lose traction knowledge and they'd all have numerous faults if/when they tried to use them again after months of open storage.
What about the BIS-SRA and MRW shuttles? And additional peak services/12 car cambridges?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
January figures updated from this month's MR mag. The 755s are now split into /3 and /4 figures separately with the /3s significantly lower than the /4s. I haven't changed the graph yet and have taken the mean of the two figures, weighted by how many of each unit were in service during that period.

I would imagine the less redundancy on the /3s is having an impact here.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I would imagine the less redundancy on the /3s is having an impact here.
Mentioned in Roger Ford's column in Modern Railways; the /3s have to be declared failed on one engine out (so they can at least attempt to limp home), the /4s can stay in operation

Class 170101

Established Member
I know that "actually getting the platforms that need lengthened lengthened " has not been a strength of the franchise but is there physically space (might need switches and signals moved-- which would be pricey) to extend 3 sufficiently? Presumably such works would also extend 2?

I don't believe there is enough room. Platform 1 was extended further underneath Stansted as I recall. rather than towards the departure tunnel.

Bikeman78

Established Member
What about the BIS-SRA and MRW shuttles? And additional peak services/12 car cambridges?
None of those are running in the current reduced timetable. It's hourly LST-SSD, hourly LST-CBG and half hourly SRA-HFE all day. That's it.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I find it hard to believe they'd go to any great lengths given they're supposed to be temporary cover. That said, I was surprised they ripped out the (superior) interiors of the ex-GN 321/4s and replace with the same as the rest of the fleet, yet they still did it.

dk1

Veteran Member
Another test run to Norwich this morning. Was some debate as to whether it would work North of Ipswich due to Covid-19 issues in getting a route conductor for this part of the route but it appears to have already departed Stowmarket.

59CosG95

Established Member
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K02001/2020-07-13/detailed
After hearing a Class 720 pass my house, I check RTT and noticed that on the same day there was a working of a 321 from Belmont Down Yard to Clacton. Could someone confirm what this train is doing and why it's coming to Clacton? I didn't think it would be a Northern Class 321 but I'm not sure about it
It's the last of the ex-Northern 321s and another ex-Northern 322, coming to bolster the GA fleet until the720s are introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.