• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Yeah I'm not convinced by that - you can clearly hear the traction inverters when regen is happening and there's no sign of that a lot of the time. It must be really frustrating for drivers trying to drive smoothly, it hasn't been too bad on the units I've been on, but it's not great..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shunter_69

Obviously can’t hear that from the cab. We just get a daft light that lights up like a Christmas tree in the cab. Haven’t worked out what the point of it is as we are just trying to stop the train and are more interested in speed and feel.

Bringback309s

I've realised in the last week or so that all the ex FGE interiors have disappeared from the 321's. Does this mean that future renatus units have already been refurbished as per the other 321's, only to be refurbed again soon afterwards?

samuelmorris

Established Member
It was only a week or two ago I saw several units in the Renatus group sporting green seats, so as far as I'm aware no - I have yet to see any unit numbered 301-330 with the 'basic refresh' the other units have had. Sad it may be, but I do notice these things :P
I haven't of course travelled on the line since before christmas, so will keep an eye out next week.

Bringback309s

Its quite likely I'm wrong! I just cannot remember the last time I saw a green interior so assumed they must have all been refreshed..

Wivenswold

Established Member
301 to 308 certainly still had green seats and First Great Eastern interiors before heading up to Doncaster for the Renatus work, I've been looking out for 310 as I suspect it's the last one running around with green seats. It seems that at some point GA decided to put the newer seat covers on most in the 308-330 series even though they are set to be stripped out for the Renatus work but left the mint green wall trim and blue handrails in situ.

Considering that the GA refresh looks quite smart on the 317s and 321s, I don't think too many would have complained if the Renatus Project had been scrapped. 10 units are back from Wabtec since the initial delivery of 303 in August 2016 which on current progress means all 30 should be done in time for the Dusty Bin farewell tour in April 2020.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I don't like the seat colours general that GA use o these units - the black and white seating whilst not showing up dirt and stuff makes the units look a little dull .

nxea321446

301 to 308 certainly still had green seats and First Great Eastern interiors before heading up to Doncaster for the Renatus work, I've been looking out for 310 as I suspect it's the last one running around with green seats. It seems that at some point GA decided to put the newer seat covers on most in the 308-330 series even though they are set to be stripped out for the Renatus work but left the mint green wall trim and blue handrails in situ.

Considering that the GA refresh looks quite smart on the 317s and 321s, I don't think too many would have complained if the Renatus Project had been scrapped. 10 units are back from Wabtec since the initial delivery of 303 in August 2016 which on current progress means all 30 should be done in time for the Dusty Bin farewell tour in April 2020.

321307 & 308 were the last two to be in service with the FGE seat covers, 310 was the first to get GA seat covers in October 2015. Is that true about a 321 farewell tour in 2020?

dp21

321307 & 308 were the last two to be in service with the FGE seat covers, 310 was the first to get GA seat covers in October 2015. Is that true about a 321 farewell tour in 2020?

Nothing organised internally. I know there's some enthusiasts within the train planning team so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few farewell tours given GA have the last of a few vehicle types in passenger service (317s and 90s come to mind). Equally wouldn't be surprised to see it done in the name of EACH as was done with the 68s.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I don't like the seat colours general that GA use o these units - the black and white seating whilst not showing up dirt and stuff makes the units look a little dull .
I think they'd look worse without the red grab-poles but I find them quite cosy now.

Thank you so much for the info. It was one of my unknowns about the fleet changes. The farewell tour was purely conjecture on my part but I think they out of the EMUs leaving the GA fleet are most likely to get the biggest send off for 31 years continuous and reliable service to Essex passengers, they also predated the 317s on WA.

Nothing organised internally. I know there's some enthusiasts within the train planning team so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few farewell tours given GA have the last of a few vehicle types in passenger service (317s and 90s come to mind). Equally wouldn't be surprised to see it done in the name of EACH as was done with the 68s.

That's good to hear.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Yes, agreed, the 360 scheme really doesn't work. Hopefully they'll get the refurb they deserve before settling in at their new home so they're as good as new. Someone will be getting 21 excellent trains.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Yes, agreed, the 360 scheme really doesn't work. Hopefully they'll get the refurb they deserve before settling in at their new home so they're as good as new. Someone will be getting 21 excellent trains.

I reckon they will be given a full refurbishment when they find new work if it's a long term placement - I guess the current one is simply a short term fix by Abellio which is fair enough when they are leaving relatively soon.

Can't believe they are now 15 years old though! You'd never guess.

dp21

I reckon they will be given a full refurbishment when they find new work if it's a long term placement - I guess the current one is simply a short term fix by Abellio which is fair enough when they are leaving relatively soon.

Can't believe they are now 15 years old though! You'd never guess.

I believe they will as they are scheduled for a repaint - this is one of the issues that's been raised with Angel as there's no point repainting them into GA colours shortly before they leave as you say.

With regards the interiors I can't comment but I imagine they'll get some TLC too.

If I find out any more I shall report back.

387star

On Moderation
I believe they will as they are scheduled for a repaint - this is one of the issues that's been raised with Angel as there's no point repainting them into GA colours shortly before they leave as you say.

With regards the interiors I can't comment but I imagine they'll get some TLC too.

If I find out any more I shall report back.

was the plain blue under warranty ? Like the networkers?
Many changes of brands but first group blue remains ! If fge had persisted one could pretend the ex GN 321s are part of the original fleet !

F Great Eastern

Established Member

They were painted with anti-graffiti paint which has worked excellently since they were introduced into service. Unfortunately this means repainting them will need them sanding down.

The interiors really are not in bad shape for their age, in fact they are in better shape than most trains less than half their age. However they could do with some plug sockets adding in perhaps, Wifi and a coherent colour scheme since now they are a mix of Abellio black/white moquette seating throughout and carpets in the vestibules and FGE colours everywhere else.

samuelmorris

Established Member
They might be now they've had new seat covers, they were looking rather tired before. I very seldom travel on them as they don't serve Shenfield much these days but my enduring memories of them in recent times is how dusty the air filters and carpets were - don't know if they've been cleaned up as the 321s certainly have been (disregarding the refurbished ones). From new the Desiro UK always had a much higher grade fit & finish than competing rolling stock though so it's small wonder they seem more recent than they actually are, as long as they're tidy.

Trainfan344

Established Member
In a break from bin talk. I've seen a picture of 170202 running around as a 2 car unit. What happened to the middle car?

dp21

In a break from bin talk. I've seen a picture of 170202 running around as a 2 car unit. What happened to the middle car?

I was wondering if this would appear on here having been up in Norwich today. The centre car, 56202, is at NCP at the moment due to a recurring battery charger fault so instead of holding the unit they decided to reform as a 2-car and send it out, keeping the 56 car in for some more involved investigation.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Could do with a bit more variety in the fleet I guess rather than those dull AGA interiors!

Still interested in why it is coming - to allow more units out at a time to get work done?

samuelmorris

Established Member
329 (retractioned) also FGE green inside. I think we can put the rumour of yet urefurbished units in that number range having received the red / grey basic refresh to bed.

Wivenswold

Established Member
There was never a doubt that any of 301-330 range had the recent red/black refresh. They didn't. Some, most in fact, had the newer seats put in but the blue grab rails and green walls remained. As said by someone from Ilford Depot 310 was the lowest in the range to get new seats but retained the rest of the blue/green kit. When you're saying "FGE Green inside" are you talking walls, flooring etc or seat covers as well? I was on 329 last week and pretty certain the seats were the newer blackish ones.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Just the walls, grab rails etc - I haven't seen a unit with green seats for ages. I thought that was agreed previously, didn't realise there was any confusion about it, apologies.

Edit: Just spotted there was an error in my post from last month, I meant green walls/floor etc. not green seats. Sorry if I misled anybody!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.