• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 170101

Established Member
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure, but I understood the only access to the Brantham site was going to be from the south end, and the signalling arrangements would mean any train entering the site would have to start from the (currently unused?) platform 4 regardless of where it came from, which means any train coming from the north would cross the level crossing twice.

Exiting Brantham would mean 3 point ends would need to be set on the Mainline to enable a train to leave the depot (never mind those controlled inside the depot confines). As for the disused platform 4 thats a red herring as its only long enough for NR machines these days. It should have been possible as has already been stated to enter and leave the depot and not cross the crossing but instead head toweards Mistley or reverse on Manningtree north curve but only by walking though the unit.

There was planned to be no access north towards Ipswich, all moves would have to head south and reverse before proceeding north.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wivenswold

Established Member
Update on the leased GTR Bins with GA. Porterbrook now showing 4 TSLs as off-lease for disposal on 4 separate dates which will be when the units are returned to the owner and shortened to 3 cars to become Class 320s.

They are
321401 27/03/18 (today)
321403 05/06/18
321420 02/08/18
321418 27/09/18

Catch 'em while you can.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Thanks for the info - I'm still missing 403 and 418, finding them I imagine is going to be a bit needle-in-haystack :s
I'm sure someone who's involved with GA diagramming will be able to help. 403 has only been with GA for a short while so far. I suppose you head to the purple unit and hope for the best.

LAX54

Established Member
321403:
Diagram:
Current working: No current working
TRUST report: No train running information available
Preassignment:
Restrictions:
(1900 27TH)

321418:
Diagram:
Current working: No current working
TRUST report: No train running information available
Preassignment:
Restrictions:
Status: At Southend Victori Status N / SERVICEABLE Arr 1910 on 27/03
Next Exam: A:A in 7500
Major:B in 15000

On Moderation
Update on the leased GTR Bins with GA. Porterbrook now showing 4 TSLs as off-lease for disposal on 4 separate dates which will be when the units are returned to the owner and shortened to 3 cars to become Class 320s.

They are
321401 27/03/18 (today)
321403 05/06/18
321420 02/08/18
321418 27/09/18

Catch 'em while you can.
I think you'll find it is Eversholt that own the 321s. Nothing to do with Porterbrook.

nxea321446

Does anyone know which 321/3s have had the Renatus refurbishment and / or retractioned so far? I can't seem to find anything up to date.
Update on 321’s

301, refurbished and retractioned
302 refurbished and retractioned
303 refurbished and retractioned
304 refurbished and retractioned
305 refurbished and retractioned
306 refurbished and retractioned
307 refurbished and retractioned
308 refurbished and retractioned
309 refurbished and retractioned
310 at Doncaster for refurbishment, has been retractioned
311 refurbished and retractioned
312 refurbished and retractioned
313 refurbished and retractioned
314 at Doncaster for refurbishment, has been retractioned
315 at Doncaster for refurbishment, has been retractioned
316 refurbished and retractioned
317 at Doncaster for refurbishment, has been retractioned
318 at Doncaster for refurbishment, has been retractioned
319, not yet refurbished, has been retractioned
320 not yet refurbished, has been retractioned
321321 refurbished and retractioned
322 not yet refurbished, has been retractioned
323 not yet refurbished, at Wolverton for retractioning
324 not yet refurbished, has been retractioned
325 could be at Wolverton?
326 could be at Wolverton?
327 not yet refurbished, has been retractioned
328 could be at Wolverton?
329 not yet refurbished, has been retractioned
330 not yet refurbished, has been retractioned

I haven’t seen 325, 326 or 328 for a while so they could have gone to Wolverton under the raider

Railperf

Established Member
Travelled on a 321" Renatus' unit last week. The refurb has given the units a new lease of life, but the sliding doors are as noisy (wind noise) and drafty as ever. Traction performance does not seem to be hugely improved from before, and the driver confirmed they are barely quicker acceleration wise. The traction motors seem just as noisy too. He also commented that the regenerative braking does not work too well with the existing braking system - noting that they are quite jerky under braking now. The particular unit I travelled on had the regenerative braking isolated apparently.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Travelled on a 321" Renatus' unit last week. The refurb has given the units a new lease of life, but the sliding doors are as noisy (wind noise) and drafty as ever. Traction performance does not seem to be hugely improved from before, and the driver confirmed they are barely quicker acceleration wise. The traction motors seem just as noisy too. He also commented that the regenerative braking does not work too well with the existing braking system - noting that they are quite jerky under braking now. The particular unit I travelled on had the regenerative braking isolated apparently.

Must admit that I don't mind the sound of a traditional DC traction motor at all. Much nicer than disruptive high pitch electronic sounds, though I guess the Renatus units have had the motors swapped? What kind of sound do they make?

Established Member
Must admit that I don't mind the sound of a traditional DC traction motor at all. Much nicer than disruptive high pitch electronic sounds, though I guess the Renatus units have had the motors swapped? What kind of sound do they make?
They sound like the SWR 455s, I quite like them but they don't accelerate any faster or slower than the normal 321s. The doors could've been re-done to match those on the 315s or something that don't rattle every time a train passes by at speed. It's quite annoying when that happens.

TEW

Established Member
He also commented that the regenerative braking does not work too well with the existing braking system - noting that they are quite jerky under braking now. The particular unit I travelled on had the regenerative braking isolated apparently.
Exactly the same complaints were made by SWT drivers when 455 retractioning started. A mixed pairing of a retractioned and unretractioned unit did not give a smooth ride at all.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The noise level varies considerably from unit to unit I believe because that's the gearbox noise, which as far as I know nothing has really been done with - case in point one a few weeks ago sounded in urgent need of attention.

The regen not playing ball with other units coupled makes sense because it simply doesn't work properly - travel in the power car and you'll soon realise whether the regen applies when braking appears to be almost random, but from what I can tell:
- Only activates in one particular braking position (not the lowest setting, nor the highest in regular usage, only somewhere in the middle)
- Only activates if brakes are applied, released and re-applied in short succession. If unit has not braked for at least a minute, regen does not seem to engage.
- Unlike modern units does not apply instantly - regen braking force 'ramps up' over the course of a 1-2 second period - thus even if both the Renatus unit is regenerating, if both a retractioned and standard unit brake at the same time, the unit with only regular braking will brake first, the Renatus will follow afterwards, resulting in the buffeting effect.

It seems to me like if there are two or more retractioned units in a 12-car set the train does actually appear to accelerate faster, but that could well be a placebo. Ultimately you will never get huge gains because there are still only 4 traction motors per 80m unit. Further, the existing TMs are already fairly potent on 321s, unlike with for example 345s where the traction motors are three times as powerful as those on the units they replaced.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Sat on 304 which is coupled to 309. Both fully updated. AC motors sound like higher pitched DC motor. It still sounds like a 321 in my opinion.

Accelerated noticeably faster up the hill on Down main past Chelmsford. Made 60mph after the start of the 80 limit. Though the loading for this shoulder peak service is light today due to school holidays.

captainbigun

Acceleration will be exactly the same as that's how they've been configured. No point setting the rate higher as all you'll end up with the AC driven unit(s) doing all of the work which then introduces other issues.

Blending the braking was never going to work well, so that's as experienced elsewhere.

nxea321446

321325 & 328 confirmed to be both at Wolverton for retractioning, 326 is the last /3 with DC motors in silver and white livery, excluding 331-366.

Railperf

Established Member
Acceleration will be exactly the same as that's how they've been configured. No point setting the rate higher as all you'll end up with the AC driven unit(s) doing all of the work which then introduces other issues.

Blending the braking was never going to work well, so that's as experienced elsewhere.
Is there a plan to upgrade the available acceleration once the last DC motored units have been retractioned?

Shunter_69

They are definitely quicker once retractioned. It’s quite noticeable when driving. I had one that was basically pushing a dead 4 car due to a coupling fault and it was still getting close to 80 mph.

Railperf

Established Member
How many DC motored sets are still in service? And which unit numbers?

samuelmorris

Established Member
they're not part of the group that are due for retraction (301-330). 331-366 (36 units) and 421-447 (27 units) are all still DC as they will remain, as are the FCC units.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The Renders of the Bombardiers seem to have been changed on the GA site virtual tour?

It looks ridiculously squashed now with a narrower walkway?

jcc

The Renders of the Bombardiers seem to have been changed on the GA site virtual tour?

It looks ridiculously squashed now with a narrower walkway?

It's the new (supposedly more comfortable) seating from Kiel, it was added a while ago. Given the choice between Fainsa ironing boards or slightly narrower walkways (being 3+2 they were already pretty narrow), I know which one I'd choose!

Status
Not open for further replies.