• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
It's the new (supposedly more comfortable) seating from Kiel, it was added a while ago. Given the choice between Fainsa ironing boards or slightly narrower walkways (being 3+2 they were already pretty narrow), I know which one I'd choose!

The renders just look very claustrophobic. Whilst the seats are a welcome change, there has something been lost from the original render which actually looked more spacious, I suspect due to the lighter colours being used compared to the latest render.

Obviously the 321s and 360s also have 3+2 but the latest design of the Bombardier seems to combine an even narrower walkway with a bigger footprint seat with less room, with darker carpets, dark seat backs instead of white, darker seats and interior panels which all adds up to a less spacious feeling train.

KIEL.jpg OLD.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Obviously the 321s and 360s also have 3+2 but the latest design of the Bombardier seems to combine an even narrower walkway with a bigger footprint seat with less room, with darker carpets, dark seat backs instead of white, darker seats and interior panels which all adds up to a less spacious feeling train.

Just to counter that, I think the interior looks, so far as 3+2-seated commuter trains go, of extremely high quality, and I will be more than happy if our WCML Aventras (the batch for commuter services, there are I think going to be two batches) have that interior.

Even better yet if we were to get 2+2 with the wider version of that seat but otherwise identical.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Just to counter that, I think the interior looks, so far as 3+2-seated commuter trains go, of extremely high quality, and I will be more than happy if our WCML Aventras (the batch for commuter services, there are I think going to be two batches) have that interior.

I just prefer the lighter interior personally. I think the newer seats with the original render colours would look better but the newer look with darker colours and the seats just make the train look narrower and more claustrophobic and less spacious for me. But then again it could be lighting causing that.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I just prefer the lighter interior personally. I think the newer seats with the original render colours would look better but the newer look with darker colours and the seats just make the train look narrower and more claustrophobic for me.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, I do like deep and rich colours for seating and subdued lighting, it gives off a real quality feel to me.

3+2 is never going to be spacious. As a 3+2 seated train this looks really quite good to me.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I think the latest renderings look good and as Bletchleyite has suggested if it's a trade off between a sore back and feeling hemmed in, I'd go for the latter option every time.

samuelmorris

Established Member
It looks to me like they're two entirely different renders and one of them must have a bit of a perspective problem. Clearly the seats are going to be an almost identical physical size to meet the number of seats in the plan and fit 3+2 across, yet from the look of those two images they look a different size - it's partly the way the render has been done and also the angle from which they've been taken. I'm not too concerned based on what I've seen, the interior still looks quite nice to me.

dk1

Veteran Member
The middle car of 170202 is currently sitting at the end of one of the sidings at Crown Point. Not sure where the driving cars are.

The battery charger arrived for 56202 but unfortunately 170201 had a similar fault on one of its driving vehicles so had to take priority. Awaiting imminent delivery of another for the errant centre car long dumped on 10rd.

Bringback309s

Slightly off topic, but was has happened to the London Overground 321's (321414)? Haven't seen them for ages..

Domh245

Established Member
The Aventras are starting to come together now (from Richard Clinnick on twitter)

Da5mydxX4AAULn6.jpg

Wivenswold

Established Member
Looks lovely but I still can't imagine how they'll get around the up road on the west side of the Hythe triangle. Wivenhoe up platform will be interesting too, there's already a huge gap to mind when alighting shorter carriages.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The bolted-on end section looks very long compared with Electrostars, a bit like the way it does on the 800s - is that where the extra 1m is going? What's in there - the bogs?

dp21

The bolted-on end section looks very long compared with Electrostars, a bit like the way it does on the 800s - is that where the extra 1m is going? What's in there - the bogs?

It's just the way that BT build their trains unlike someone like Siemens or even Stadler. They put together the roof, floor and sides then cap the ends.

In the ends of these is just the end of the saloon and the housing for the gangway as well as some of the electrical equipment.

The toilets are further into the saloon than that.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Yep, looking at my list there's only 321321 to go away to Wolverton and that's already refurbished.

On Moderation
Ah I see. Reading up in one of my spotters' guides, it already has the new package, so I suspect it's off for the rest of the "Renatus" job (i.e. repaint and refurb).
The Renatus refurb/repaint is being done by Wabtec Doncaster. Wolverton are only doing the traction packages, under a separate contract.

Wivenswold

Established Member
321321 was retractioned last year, 314 went back to Ilford this afternoon after refurb and 319 is currently on its way to Doncaster
Thanks for the info. I stand corrected must have missed that one sneaking up to Wolverton. Halfway there with 15 Renatus units back from Donnie. The last back could just beat the 720s into service.

Domh245

Established Member
Interesting to see that the seats on the Aventras are from Kiel - do they have any previous in the UK? Also, let's hold off praising them until you've sat in them:

These feature “a unique ‘S’ shape to the seat back for better comfort, and which creates more leg room for the person sitting behind.”

YXaNW4M.png

image taken from their brochure about "TREND" seats, which look similar to those in the render but may not be the actual ones fitted.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interesting to see that the seats on the Aventras are from Kiel - do they have any previous in the UK? Also, let's hold off praising them until you've sat in them:

YXaNW4M.png

image taken from their brochure about "TREND" seats, which look similar to those in the render but may not be the actual ones fitted.

I think those are the DB Regio seats and to me they are hard but comfortable. I like ironing boards, but these are definitely better.

superalbs

Established Member
Kiel are responsible for the Class 378 seats, but more importantly the excellent Class 175/180 seats, so I hope these are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.