• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
To be honest XC have had ambitions to run 2tph from Birmingham to East Anglia for a while now, but that should be possible when Ely North is sorted. If the Liverpool service gets split at Nottingham I reckon diverting them from Peterborough to serve Leicester and Birmingham would be a reasonable way of increasing capacity there and still offering useful direct journeys from Norwich, serving Grantham and Nottingham only doesn't really achieve very much IMO.

When the Azuma service is in full swing I believe it is planned that the EMT service will be about the only Grantham to Peterborough one. It's also specified in it's current form with the odd extra train until the end of the new EM franchise so not likely to change.

chubs

I don't think anyone is suggesting mixing the two up.

It gets suggested every time there it talk (and then a thread) about the EMT service being broken up. We're going way off topic here though!

Wivenswold

Established Member
What do we think, entire fleet of 755/4s here before an Aventra turns up? Whole Stadler fleet in service by then maybe?

robreed90001

What do we think, entire fleet of 755/4s here before an Aventra turns up? Whole Stadler fleet in service by then maybe?

(my own veiws) - wouldn't think any Stadler fleets will be complete when the first Adventra units appear but will certainly be a good amount of the Stadler units about.

not to sure when the first of the Intercity 745s are due, delayed due to issues regarding the mini buffet (so ive heard), if the plans are still the same then there's still another 3 Stanstead Express 745/1s coming before the first of the Intercity flirts arrives.

not to sure what the current situation with the Aventras is??.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Is it just the single platform in open air that the diesels use at Stansted?
Are diesels banned from the longer platforms? In any case the long platforms are in almost constant use by Stansted express. When they go 12 car it won't even be possible to share like they do now with the Cambridge shuttle.

eljajo95

I can’t say I’ve been following the progress in any detail despite being a WAML commuter. But I did notice just now workmen at Sawbridgeworth installing a “Class 755 3-4 cars” stopping mark on the down platform, and I saw orange jackets poking around at Harlow Mill too.

Railperf

Established Member
Are diesels banned from the longer platforms? In any case the long platforms are in almost constant use by Stansted express. When they go 12 car it won't even be possible to share like they do now with the Cambridge shuttle.
The pollution levels within the station would be horrendous if they were allowed to use the usual platform under the airport!

I think one of the long platforms at Stansted Airport can accommodate 16 x 20m stock - pretty sure I saw 2x8car trains in one platform when there was disruption once

I can’t say I’ve been following the progress in any detail despite being a WAML commuter. But I did notice just now workmen at Sawbridgeworth installing a “Class 755 3-4 cars” stopping mark on the down platform, and I saw orange jackets poking around at Harlow Mill too.

745 stopping board at Stortford

IMG_0746.jpg

rdlover777

755408, 755407 and 755405 tripled up today on the 5Q61 from Norwich to Diss
55535178_10215460861729563_6416910826485055488_n.png

Class 170101

Established Member
It does seem this is an underused line but i would say its prime for electrification as an infill to cambridge to improve speeds and make it more competitive in journey times

It does seem underutilised. A Norwich - Peterborough - Birmingham service via Ely West Curve would actually be very useful. If you want to get to Birmingham from anywhere east of Cambridge it's quicker to go via London at present. And quicker still to drive which is what I tend to do.

Problem is that whilst Ely to Norwich may be under utilised try pathing trains through the single lead junctions at Ely North Jn and Trowse Jn plus Trowse Swing Bridge. Heading onto Stansted is even more difficult with Ely, Cambridge and Stansted North Jn to Stansted Airport constraints to consider.

I think one of the long platforms at Stansted Airport can accommodate 16 x 20m stock - pretty sure I saw 2x8car trains in one platform when there was disruption once

Has anyone ever seen any other combination of 16 carriages on platform one besides the 2x8 alluded to above?

trebor79

Established Member
Problem is that whilst Ely to Norwich may be under utilised try pathing trains through the single lead junctions at Ely North Jn and Trowse Jn plus Trowse Swing Bridge. Heading onto Stansted is even more difficult with Ely, Cambridge and Stansted North Jn to Stansted Airport constraints to consider.

Ely North is somewhere in a plan to be upgraded isn't it?
Trowse must have capacity, there's only 8 trains an hour over the bridge. The bridge could be doubled quite easily as the original bridge was just downstream of the present one and there are sidings almost up to the abutments on both sides of the river.

Class 170101

Established Member
Ely North is somewhere in a plan to be upgraded isn't it?
Trowse must have capacity, there's only 8 trains an hour over the bridge. The bridge could be doubled quite easily as the original bridge was just downstream of the present one and there are sidings almost up to the abutments on both sides of the river.

But try to get all the constraints I have outlined above to marry up. Its almost impossible. I'll believe it when I see it concerning The swingbridge for doubling and also Ely North Jn.

(my own veiws) - wouldn't think any Stadler fleets will be complete when the first Adventra units appear but will certainly be a good amount of the Stadler units about.

not to sure what the current situation with the Aventras is??.

An Aventra was in Litchurch Lane yard last Friday (22nd March) which seemed to be complete and in GA livery; sorry can't be more explicit, but was passing on a bus (on London Road), and vision was blocked by a class 66

RailWonderer

Established Member
I've been following this whole thread quite closely since nearly the beginning, and it hasn't been raised yet if Stadler FLIRTs are going to operate anything other than StanEx, Norwich IC and rurals. Would they be able to do GEML routes that aren't branches? (London - Ipswich/Stowmarket for example). I know its all about driver training and clearances to which I have nothing to add hence my lack of comments on this thread. Wondering if any drivers here, or anyone with sources knows.
P.S. Has the forum already assumed derogations will happen?

Wivenswold

Established Member
There was conjecture about Derogations. They will be needed.

I had an email conversation with a GA Manager back in 2016, it seemed that some services down to London would be diagrammed for 755s but not during the peak. He didn't rule out using them on Harwich and Walton branches (I was making the point that 5 car Aventras would be overkill off-peak for those services) but he felt it was very unlikely.

dp21

An Aventra was in Litchurch Lane yard last Friday (22nd March) which seemed to be complete and in GA livery; sorry can't be more explicit, but was passing on a bus (on London Road), and vision was blocked by a class 66

First one currently scheduled to move to Ilford in June for testing. Take that with as much salt as you wish.

Bikeman78

Established Member
First one currently scheduled to move to Ilford in June for testing. Take that with as much salt as you wish.
Very unlikely they'll be running this year then. Any sign of 317506 coming back from Kilmarnock?

Very unlikely they'll be running this year then.

Can you explain why, please?

I believe that the 710s have different software to the 345s and that this has contributed to the delay in their introduction into service, but won't subsequent builds of Aventras have the same as has been "proved" in the 710s? Consequently, won't testing/ commissioning/acceptance of Aventras for GA and others be quite "quick" by comparison?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Can you explain why, please?

I believe that the 710s have different software to the 345s and that this has contributed to the delay in their introduction into service, but won't subsequent builds of Aventras have the same as has been "proved" in the 710s? Consequently, won't testing/ commissioning/acceptance of Aventras for GA and others be quite "quick" by comparison?
There's no reason why not, but then there's no reason why either. Being AC-only the systems on the 720s should be a bit simpler but the level of issues experienced by the 710s is astounding. While I'm sure the experience from the 710 project will have helped, the fact that their introduction went so wrong means I think it would be a bit optimistic to assume everything will go to plan with the 720s. There are a lot of routes to cover where the over-sensitive software in the 720s will be put to the test. They will also be covering areas where there are already precedents for having issues with new EMUs (e.g. north of Stowmarket and the Southend branch). I think it's highly unlikely that the delay between delivery of a unit for testing and entry into service will be as long as it's been for the 710s, but I'm almost certain there will still be some delay. They have to pass sufficient tests to gain approval for passenger use and then commence staff training. Doable in 6 months but probably only just - if any issues are thrown up during testing, I imagine they won't see passenger use until 2020. At present I'd hazard a guess at 12 months after their original planned introduction, so February ish.

hwl

Established Member
There's no reason why not, but then there's no reason why either. Being AC-only the systems on the 720s should be a bit simpler but the level of issues experienced by the 710s is astounding. While I'm sure the experience from the 710 project will have helped, the fact that their introduction went so wrong means I think it would be a bit optimistic to assume everything will go to plan with the 720s. There are a lot of routes to cover where the over-sensitive software in the 720s will be put to the test. They will also be covering areas where there are already precedents for having issues with new EMUs (e.g. north of Stowmarket and the Southend branch). I think it's highly unlikely that the delay between delivery of a unit for testing and entry into service will be as long as it's been for the 710s, but I'm almost certain there will still be some delay. They have to pass sufficient tests to gain approval for passenger use and then commence staff training. Doable in 6 months but probably only just - if any issues are thrown up during testing, I imagine they won't see passenger use until 2020. At present I'd hazard a guess at 12 months after their original planned introduction, so February ish.
1. With Modern EMUs there is physically hardly any difference between AC only and AC+DC. The 3phase drives are fed from a DC bus. Physically Shoe + Mounting, cable and MCB.
2. To ensure future transferability all non HS EMU are designed for AC+DC even if not leaving the factory with all the equipment. RDG/ATOC +ROSCO mandated for quite few years now. (The Crossrail Aventras Contract includes being able to retrofit 3rd rail and several 707s had AC gear fitted and tested)
3. The Norm won't be radically different software for each batch. The 7 car aventra software was a "get it going and wait till the full software was available" job hence 710 has taken the brunt of the testing on the new software
special so. The Aventra software is being built to cope with future with ETCS etc so the new stock effectively has to have it.
4. the are more than enough less problematic place to run at least 2/3rds of the 720s till some of the difficult branches are addressed if needed. (Actually more given they didn't order enough stock)

Status
Not open for further replies.