• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1987

On Moderation
They have gotten the desired life out of the airframe though. The 747 lasted a lot longer than some of it's rivals such as the L1011 or some of the McD range. Same with the mk3's, they've lived a long life and now it's time for the razor blade factory.

Sure new models that are far more efficient save money and make sense economically but passengers also expect a certain level of service, and no matter how many times you refurb a 747 or an mk3 it's still clearly the same old dated junk underneath. I know I'm not the only person who avoids airlines flying 747-400's on longhaul routes, and I suspect there's quite a few who avoid the railway due to the mk3's.

In western European countries the trains rarely make it as long as ours do before scrapping, most of the NS stock in the Netherlands dates from the 1990's or later as they realise you can only refurb up to a certain point (ok the DDM1's are 1980 but they're going very soon and were only brought back to to shortage of decent stock).

Well by your logic all the current 777’s in service should be scrapped including those that have recently been delivered as they are “outdated junk” underneath as the 777X is on the horizon which will be at the most modern standards. Thousands and thousands of 737NG’s in the air that are “outdated junk” yet its the most popular aircraft in the sky at the moment. 379’s are technically “outdated junk” now and they are only 5 years old. I am looking forward to the new stock but then again most of the current stock has served its useful life and is now very tired. But to call something “outdated junk” just because it isn’t brand new is a bit ridiculous. BTW the 747-400 has a lot of very modern avionics onboard, it is RVSM authorised. The ETOPS ratings of the 787 and A350 sealed its fate as a twin engined aircraft it cheaper to operate and maintain than four engines.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
They have gotten the desired life out of the airframe though. The 747 lasted a lot longer than some of it's rivals such as the L1011 or some of the McD range. Same with the mk3's, they've lived a long life and now it's time for the razor blade factory.

Sure new models that are far more efficient save money and make sense economically but passengers also expect a certain level of service, and no matter how many times you refurb a 747 or an mk3 it's still clearly the same old dated junk underneath. I know I'm not the only person who avoids airlines flying 747-400's on longhaul routes, and I suspect there's quite a few who avoid the railway due to the mk3's.

In western European countries the trains rarely make it as long as ours do before scrapping, most of the NS stock in the Netherlands dates from the 1990's or later as they realise you can only refurb up to a certain point (ok the DDM1's are 1980 but they're going very soon and were only brought back to to shortage of decent stock).
There are plenty of older trains on NS. The SGM sprinters are the same age as the 313s. The hauled stock is from the early 1980s and the three car Koplopers are from the late 1980s. Plenty of ancient trains in Belgium too despite all the new trains delivered in recent years.

LAX54

Established Member
Opposite for me, I have paid more to fly on an A380 (Singapore) than tired knackered old 747's from BA and KLM. I expect a level of comfort and service, and 747's do not deliver it and look like they belong in the 80's.

If I found out that I had paid 'extra' to be on a 380..I'd have asked for a refund ! LOL

LAX54

Established Member

Stand on Stowmarket /Ipswich / Colchester platforms...see how many let the units go, just so that can get a hauled set !

chubs

There are plenty of older trains on NS. The SGM sprinters are the same age as the 313s. The hauled stock is from the early 1980s and the three car Koplopers are from the late 1980s. Plenty of ancient trains in Belgium too despite all the new trains delivered in recent years.

And they are all being retired imminently with new fleets being built.

chubs

Stand on Stowmarket /Ipswich / Colchester platforms...see how many let the units go, just so that can get a hauled set !

Well they don't have an alternative for a better option than an ancient mk3 right now, but soon they will!

chubs

Well by your logic all the current 777’s in service should be scrapped including those that have recently been delivered as they are “outdated junk” underneath as the 777X is on the horizon which will be at the most modern standards. Thousands and thousands of 737NG’s in the air that are “outdated junk” yet its the most popular aircraft in the sky at the moment. 379’s are technically “outdated junk” now and they are only 5 years old. I am looking forward to the new stock but then again most of the current stock has served its useful life and is now very tired. But to call something “outdated junk” just because it isn’t brand new is a bit ridiculous. BTW the 747-400 has a lot of very modern avionics onboard, it is RVSM authorised. The ETOPS ratings of the 787 and A350 sealed its fate as a twin engined aircraft it cheaper to operate and maintain than four engines.

That's not really what I'm saying though is it. Of course things have to last a reasonable lifetime even as they get outdated in terms of technology, but there has to be a limit. The 379's and 170's still provide a reasonable experience, the mk3's do not. 40 years old and expecting to give it another life extension is not really acceptable.

chubs

If I found out that I had paid 'extra' to be on a 380..I'd have asked for a refund ! LOL

If I found out I was on an ancient 747-400 with an 80's interior I would complain bitterly and also demand a refund. Luckily most airlines besides BA realise customers wont stand for it and they vote with their feet.

On Moderation
That's not really what I'm saying though is it. Of course things have to last a reasonable lifetime even as they get outdated in terms of technology, but there has to be a limit. The 379's and 170's still provide a reasonable experience, the mk3's do not. 40 years old and expecting to give it another life extension is not really acceptable.
In your opinion. I’d agree that the Mark 3s shouldn’t be further life extended, but fundamentally disagree on the travelling experience on them. They remain the finest vehicles we’ve ever had for IC services and the IC70 is the most comfortable train seat I’ve ever sat on (if they had lifting armrests they would be perfection). Which is my opinion, of course!

I am looking forward to seeing what the FLIRTs are like, though.

Cravens

Chubs, may I respectfully disagree with your analysis that old = worse? The Mk3's are now reaching the end, but they still pass for being reasonably comfortable and until we have their replacement in service to measure them against we shouldn't be assuming automatically that whatever replaces them will be more comfortable. I agree with 43096 that if there were adjustable arm rests, the IC70 would be the best out there today, albeit they'd still not quite match the now withdrawn A60/62 Stock seating.

I'd take a 747-400 over a 777 or 787 any day because I have shoulders, I value quietness in an aircraft and the interiors have been retrofitted in such a way that only the overhead panel would be an indicator to Joe Public as to the aircraft's age. Back in 2011 on the Metropolitan Line I waited for the A Stock and let S Stock go by because I wanted not to have a numb posterior at the end of my journey. That being said, if the FLIRTS have improved leg room, it will be appreciated on regional services where Class 156's operate. But until they come into service, I am reserving judgement on whether they'll be better than what they replace.

A GA Aventra driving vehicle on a low loader headed out of Derby early Friday afternoon, presumably going to Old Dalby for testing

I was surprised to see that it had a yellow warning panel.

MrPIC

It's been covered plenty, all GA's new stock will have a yellow warning panel due to the amount of level crossings etc and it not worth the paperwork to get cleared for them all

dk1

Veteran Member
Good to see one of the bimodes has had the 'hare' logo added to each driving car. Not sure if its just a trial or being added across the fleet. It had been talked about.

Established Member
A GA Aventra driving vehicle on a low loader headed out of Derby early Friday afternoon, presumably going to Old Dalby for testing

I was surprised to see that it had a yellow warning panel.
There was one vehicle each day last week take out by low loader. Not sure where they were heading.

Overall I have seen 3 sets so far.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Good to see one of the bimodes has had the 'hare' logo added to each driving car. Not sure if its just a trial or being added across the fleet. It had been talked about.

As someone who misses the Cockney Sparrow on Stratford's Locos, I'm really pleased about this.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Sorry off topic, but yes absolutely dk1. Not only sticking one up at the BR Board with their obsession with standardisation but it engendered local pride and friendly rivalry between depots. I miss that. The Hare will be a nice touch. Maybe the Class 720 units should have a tortoise on them.

Established Member
The Hare is a new feature to the logo that has been gradually rolled out across Greater Anglia network and branding identity, produced by Atomic. It is supposed to represent that it is the fastest native land animal in the UK, reflecting the better quicker journeys the new fleet will bring such as Norwich in 90. It has already been rolled out on all new Posters and TV campaigns and the new trains I believe are all getting this touch. The slogan is also new, 'It's happening'.

EWB158

I was finally able to spot a 755 for the first time yesterday in the sidings adjacent to Norwich Station; it had the hare logo on it so this could be the one you're talking about. Can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was 755410

dk1

Veteran Member
I was finally able to spot a 755 for the first time yesterday in the sidings adjacent to Norwich Station; it had the hare logo on it so this could be the one you're talking about. Can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was 755410
Yeah that's the one although I didn't catch the number. Tripped over from Crown Point just after 08:00.

Alfie1014

Anyone know what the particular problem is with the hauled sets at the moment. 07:05 and 08:30 from Norwich both cancelled, 09:00 321 vice hauled and almost all other sets short formed? GA tweeted out yesterday that this was due to ‘extra safety inspections’.

Established Member
Not aware of anything specific other than the outbased maintenance at Ilford and Bounds Green has taken its toll. 09.00 from Norwich very cosy as an 8 car 321 with the 08.30 cancelled.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Not aware of anything specific other than the outbased maintenance at Ilford and Bounds Green has taken its toll. 09.00 from Norwich very cosy as an 8 car 321 with the 08.30 cancelled.
The 07:40 looked busy departing Norwich. I was on the 08:00 & several extras boarded that instead of waiting. Almost full departing Stowmarket.

delticdave

Oh blimey.....Now I feel old...I saw all 3 of these being built at Crewe....
You feel old? I have black & white pix, taken by myself on a official tour of Crewe works, of 2 Peaks still in undercoat having their steam-heat boilers tested. When was this, school summer holidays in 1961...... Managed 4 trips behind 40's, London-Crewe return & Manchester Victoria to Liv. Lime Street return, A Jubilee from Crewe to Lime Street, + Crewe - Manchester with original AC locos & Crewe-Sandbach AM4 (?) emus, & the Wirral emus from Liv.Central Low-level. All above trips unaccompanied (of course) at age 14. Different World....

Anyone know what the particular problem is with the hauled sets at the moment. 07:05 and 08:30 from Norwich both cancelled, 09:00 321 vice hauled and almost all other sets short formed? GA tweeted out yesterday that this was due to ‘extra safety inspections’.

That continued into the afternoon with the 14:30 and 16:00 cancelled plus 321s on the 16:30. A unit did the 11:00 from London as far as Ipswich as will the 21:00 this evening according to journey check.

Status
Not open for further replies.