Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Wivenswold, 9 Mar 2017.

1. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

Off-peak I suspect probably not, but peak time such a practice is already in operation, there are several services that split.

2. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Established Member

Sadly a few of them are Clacton services which will be going from 8 car down to 5. Comparable number of seats, but significantly less standing space.

3. samuelmorris

But are 8-car loadings necessary on the branch or just so that the rest of the train has enough capacity west of Colchester?

4. thealm

thealm Member

The coaches are longer from 20m to 24m

5. RailWonderer

RailWonderer Member

This will be a major problem. I'm not the only one here to use shoulder-peak services that will be downgraded from 8 cars to 5. I'd much rather an 8 car 360/379 than a 5 car 720 where I'll be on the platform nervously waiting to see if it turns up full and standing around 9-10am ish. This thread has evaluated many pages back that a 5 car 720 is the same as 6 coaches worth of legacy stock in terms of length with only a few less seats but far less standing capacity.
    I'll say it again. If operational people ran the railway instead of bid managers, they would have known it would be easier to keep a 4-8-12 car railway instead of a 5-10 car for this reason, added to infrastructure works like platform extensions, signal repositioning and other unnecessary expenses had they kept to what works now.

6. samuelmorris

The intention is that there are so many seats that the lack of standing capacity doesn't matter. How that will work out in practice I'm not sure. If crowding gets that bad they have the option to amend the diagrams such that services that need it run 10-car all day.

7. F Great Eastern

F Great Eastern Established Member

Been saying this is a big flaw with the bid since day 1 and is another example of style over substance when it comes to bid managers who never use the lines in question. In fact, some of the people who were involved in this bid rarely use the train at all from what I have heard so what happens in practice won't affect them at all.

When I asked Abellio about the plans for the EMU services they essentially stated
    - Every 4 car service is being replaced with a new train with an increase of capacity.
    - Every 8 car service is being replaced with a new train with an increase of seating.
    - Every 12 car service is being replaced with a new train with an increase of capacity.

Note the different word that is used for the 8 car services which tells you all that you need to know. They have time and time again avoided answering the question about if the 8 car services will all be lengthened to 10 cars and calculations previously done on this forum show that unless they order another batch of units, that's not going to be possible anyway.

When the overcrowding to the point where people physically cannot board of they can only board by being pushed up against other people where they have more room stand now inevitably happens, Abellio will just point out that they have added more seats and the naive press will lap it up as proof that it is not their fault, as Abellio's PR team have the media wrapped around their little finger as the media take in all the style but fail to look underneath at something that is really lacking in substance.

The operational people know what is coming, the bid managers only care about the optics and looking good, not like they'll be traveling on the train. Half the senior management who sold the operations side this pup have already gone anyway, so I would reckon the ops side and the guy who took up the business readiness director post after the former bid manager in the post previously left, will be the people who end up carrying the can when the whole thing goes titsup as most of those responsible will be long gone.

8. Sleepy

Sleepy Member

Look to GWR and see how many services run as 5 instead 9/10 currently !! :rolleyes:<(

9. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

The entire damn 720 fleet should be 10 car with a small fleet of (something else) for shuttles on short bays and the Hertford North service in the hands of Overground and 710s.

10. samuelmorris

This would, however, eliminate direct services from London to various destinations during the peak as there isn't capacity to run all those services with two separate trains.

11. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Established Member

Yes, I'm aware of that, 5 cars will be equal length to 6 of our current coaches.

i would say that the loadings on Liverpool Street to Clacton services require 8 cars all day, 12 on the shoulder peaks. There are various commuting destinations on our service, Shenfield (for East London & Southend services), Chelmsford, Colchester and to a lesser extent Clacton. Then there are 3 universities and several large private schools to mix into the usual school traffic. Then there's shoppers spilling out of Westfield with cumbersome shopping. It's a busy service with complex travel patterns and passengers for Clacton who get on at Stratford end up being left behind on and off peak. Throw in that the Colchester area is expected to have 2 garden cities with 20,000 homes containing 2.5 people.

2 x 5 car services per hour would help but as there are no plans to upgrade the frequency of Clacton to London services for the first time since 1963, then GA will have to be very careful with the distribution of services.

12. jamesontheroad

jamesontheroad Established Member

Two trips on the mainline yesterday, and on both sets of mk. 3 carriages fewer than 3 toilets were functional on the whole train. These were different takes as well, with stickers on the doors of some of the defective toilet compartments suggesting these were not new problems yesterday.

13. samuelmorris

Shame the Atkins report was largely ignored then...