• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shunter_69

Saw a rake of 4 or 5 Mk3s being hauled south by a 37 on the GEML last night. Wonder if they were off for storage or perhaps maintenance to keep/get back in service?

There is a regular run between Crown Point and Ilford delivering/collecting coaches for maintenance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Took the train to Lowestoft this morning in view of the horrific traffic up there, another manky 153 subbing for a longer train.
Whereas for the last two days the Bittern line has been almost 100% Stadler pleasing the natives very much indeed.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Whereas for the last two days the Bittern line has been almost 100% Stadler pleasing the natives very much indeed.

Might be better out of Norwich, but it's getting worse out of Ipswich at the moment with the number of 153s subbing for 2 or 3 car units increasing each time a 170 is withdrawn.

dk1

Veteran Member
Might be better out of Norwich, but it's getting worse out of Ipswich at the moment with the number of 153s subbing for 2 or 3 car units increasing each time a 170 is withdrawn.
Yes they did say it would get worse in that neck of the woods before it gets better. Norwich is Stadler City :p

Alan Warren

Looks like some of the redundant Greater Anglia stock is now arriving on the Mid Norfolk Railway for storage

gingerheid

Established Member
I heard staff at Ipswich on Thursday saying that they weren't allowed to cancel any more Felixstowe trains because they'd cancelled so many recently. Didn't last long!

Looks like some of the redundant Greater Anglia stock is now arriving on the Mid Norfolk Railway for storage

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure how much space left there must be at the MNR now.

I would like to think that redundant meant that they were replaced by 745s, not by a pair of bins and short formations.

eastdyke

Established Member
Thanks for that :):cake:
A few 'short forms' worth there.
I guess they are clearing stock that is out of service miles (and is not to be further maintained) from Crown Point?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I heard staff at Ipswich on Thursday saying that they weren't allowed to cancel any more Felixstowe trains because they'd cancelled so many recently. Didn't last long!

Think we've all seen them seemingly shifting the deckchairs so to speak in recent months to try and spread the pain around for the short forms and cancellations etc in order to stop everything falling into one basket.

There was all those issues with Felixstowe for a while which suddenly stopped when I heard they were approaching a threshold and the disruption started happening to other lines and then Felixstowe was brought back with that problem again.

I wouldn't be surprised if the previous Sudbury Line issues for a couple of weeks were simply to give the other lines suffering from the same problem with a short break and throw them into a basket they hadn't been in yet.

There's only 5x 170s left now, which will become 4 by Monday and 3 by the end of next week so it's only going to get worse.

Think we've all seen them seemingly shifting the deckchairs so to speak in recent months to try and spread the pain around for the short forms and cancellations etc in order to stop everything falling into one basket.

There was all those issues with Felixstowe for a while which suddenly stopped when I heard they were approaching a threshold and the disruption started happening to other lines and then Felixstowe was brought back with that problem again.

I wouldn't be surprised if the previous Sudbury Line issues for a couple of weeks were simply to give the other lines suffering from the same problem with a short break and throw them into a basket they hadn't been in yet.

There's only 5x 170s left now, which will become 4 by Monday and 3 by the end of next week so it's only going to get worse.

Given that none of the 755s have reached the Ipswich rural services yet, I have expected things to be worse than they are.

The next couple of weeks might see the "sensibly phased transfer away of the current fleet" come back to bite.

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Given that none of the 755s have reached the Ipswich rural services yet, I have expected things to be worse than they are.

The next couple of weeks might see the "sensibly phased transfer away of the current fleet" come back to bite.

Been some truly dreadful trips on unloved 153s on peak services usually run by 2 or occasionally even 3 cars in the last couple of weeks, for me last week was the grimmest yet, so unless we see the number of 755s in service regularly increased by at least two next week, I can only see it becoming grimmer.

gingerheid

Established Member

Actually Felixstowe only got a break for a day, as there were cancellations again on Friday...

The thing that really annoys me about the Flirts though is knowing that they're already not enough capacity for certain peak time journeys even before they arrive :(

Ten 755s were in traffic on Saturday 16th: 409/410/412 (first day?)/413/415/416/419/420/422/424. Is that a record?

TheEdge

Established Member
The thing that really annoys me about the Flirts though is knowing that they're already not enough capacity for certain peak time journeys even before they arrive :(

Which ones would those be? I struggle to think of any where a 755/4 would be over capacity and truly full and standing (that being every seat occupied and people down the aisle). I can't think of too many where the 755/3 will be equally full.

Icky Qualms

Which ones would those be? I struggle to think of any where a 755/4 would be over capacity and truly full and standing (that being every seat occupied and people down the aisle). I can't think of too many where the 755/3 will be equally full.

Cambridge / Ely peak

LAX54

Established Member
It makes sense to sub the Felixstowe with a bus, as it is the easiest and shortest route to cover, I have heard that from Monday or Tuesday, they start the 755's on the Felixstowe, they have erected an 'X' board in P1 at Ipswich telling 755's not to pass this point.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
It makes sense to sub the Felixstowe with a bus, as it is the easiest and shortest route to cover, I have heard that from Monday or Tuesday, they start the 755's on the Felixstowe,

No chance, they haven't even been testing on the line from what I have seen.

LAX54

Established Member
No chance, they haven't even been testing on the line from what I have seen.

They have run a few test trips on the line, so assume if no issues found (apart from P1 at Ipswich) there should be no problem, the note we have here is that they will start to run (in theory) on Tuesday.

eastdyke

Established Member
They have run a few test trips on the line, so assume if no issues found (apart from P1 at Ipswich) there should be no problem, the note we have here is that they will start to run (in theory) on Tuesday.
Hope it works out. A Stadler in public service at Ipswich is a significant milestone.
In other [recurring] news the Sudbury seems to have gone out of use again this am. :frown:

LAX54

Established Member
Hope it works out. A Stadler in public service at Ipswich is a significant milestone.
In other [recurring] news the Sudbury seems to have gone out of use again this am. :frown:
Fingers crossed ! as for the Sudbury, with the big block at Colchester, scuppered any plans of a new or rescue unit !

LAX54

Established Member

Update... 755 will run ECS from Norwich Tuesday Morning 5R02, in time to form 2R02 and stay on the line all day, then ECS back to C/Point, a 153 will make the first trip each day, what happens when the 153's all go in a few weeks.......!

Wivenswold

Established Member
Serious question. Has anyone seen a Class 720 running around Old Dalby since that well-heralded first test run that appeared on Twitter back in the summer? Nothing on You Tube/Twitter/Flickr since which wasn't the case when the 345s were being tested.

The first unit was due to arrive at Ilford in Sept 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Later in 2019. I have a gut feeling that they won't be entering service until this time next year. Based on nothing but past-experience and a reasonable guess.

eastdyke

Established Member
Update... 755 will run ECS from Norwich Tuesday Morning 5R02, in time to form 2R02 and stay on the line all day, then ECS back to C/Point, a 153 will make the first trip each day, what happens when the 153's all go in a few weeks.......!
Thanks for the update :cake::cake:.

[Don't think I can make it down next week], the Felixstowes run past my old house and have been waiting to do both a trip on the Stadlers and 'inspect' the new Trimley loops.
Looks like it will definitely be before Christmas though!

Before introduction, we heard that the Stadlers operating on diesel would need an intra-day drink. Presumably this will ultimately be courtesy Freightliners fuel point rather than scooting back to Crown Point?
Cheers!

class379

Serious question. Has anyone seen a Class 720 running around Old Dalby since that well-heralded first test run that appeared on Twitter back in the summer? Nothing on You Tube/Twitter/Flickr since which wasn't the case when the 345s were being tested.

The first unit was due to arrive at Ilford in Sept 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Later in 2019. I have a gut feeling that they won't be entering service until this time next year. Based on nothing but past-experience and a reasonable guess.
That could turn out to be a problem.
If the 379s find a new home, and the 360s have left, there will be plenty more Class 321 and 317 short forms to come.
The 745s will probably be in service soon enough, so they can directly replace the 379s, which means the 379s could cover for the 360s when they go to EMR?

Astro_Orbiter

I heard the 745's not replacing 379 until May timetable next year, and the first 720 in service December next year. Can anyone confirm if the 379's are indeed going to Gautrain next August as I've heard from a few people?

Status
Not open for further replies.