• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railperf

Established Member
Top little pocket rocket that one. Been like it for a couple of years but fleet can't explain why. Was the reason drivers suggested it be used for the Ni90 launch.
Wish it had been in charge of the Ni90 today. 008 had that job. Now sitting on a pair of dusty bins back to NRW. First unit on the down for me. But when i see how many Mk3 rakes are chopped up and sitting around, it is no wonder why!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
Happy to be corrected is the figure for the 90s just the loco, or does it include faults accrued on the DVTs (our indeed the other coaches?) If not then it as I perceive it under estimates the overall reliability of the whole train set. Which when you add in the permanent short formations resulting in standing from Manningtree in the peaks gives a completely different perspective of reliability to the passenger than the lorded figures.
They're referred to as 'electric loco train-set' which suggests the entire formation, but that's just a guess.

MrPIC

I don't know any specifics but from reading the article seems quite clear that it was a stop short and release. Says as much.

superjohn

Are the buffet vehicles in the loco hauled sets disproportionately out of service compared to the rest of the fleet or does it just seem that way?

Presumably it can’t be down to the buffet equipment otherwise they could still run in service as seats only.

dk1

Veteran Member
Are the buffet vehicles in the loco hauled sets disproportionately out of service compared to the rest of the fleet or does it just seem that way?

Presumably it can’t be down to the buffet equipment otherwise they could still run in service as seats only.
Not really. They just cannot be replaced like for like. Still get a trolley in place.

MrPIC

Seems that way, the previous incident a train was *moving* with the door open which suggests a unit fault, this incident a train stopped at the incorrect position and the driver released the doors it seems.

Railperf

Established Member
R: Mk3 chop and swap, it was beautiful to sit in declassified 'first' coach F last night in one of the reformed rakes. Very comfy indeed.

An interesting rake - no buffet car - and no trolley turned up between NRW and IPS. Not that I minded as I had stocked up with refreshments at NRW station Co-op. With the rain starting, i once experienced the achilles heel of the 90's, a lack of surefootedness in the rain. 0-60 times down from 80 seconds to 180 seconds in the wet. The south end of Ipswich Up platform showed lots of sand deposits on the tracks!! And we watched a northbound service depart - trying to put some sand down - but probably all used up, as nothing coming out!! The 755 i rode earlier also suffered slipping but its 0-60mph time only increased by a few seconds. The joys of additional powered axles i guess!

trebor79

Established Member
R: Mk3 chop and swap, it was beautiful to sit in declassified 'first' coach F last night in one of the reformed rakes. Very comfy indeed.
They are indeed comfy, but completely useless if you want to do some work, unless you have gadget arms or sit perched on the edge of the seat.
Much better (though still slightly uncomfortable working environment) at a standard table. I think this is why you tend to find most business travellers in standard and first tends to be evenly split business and leisure.
The Business Return (essentially an advance outward combined with an anytime return portion) in standard also drives a lot of business in standard I guess.

Established Member
They are indeed comfy, but completely useless if you want to do some work, unless you have gadget arms or sit perched on the edge of the seat.

Must depend on what shape and size human you are. I find Mk3 first class is perfect for working, big tables and sufficient space even if the train is busy.

AC47461

Does anyone know what 170203 and 170204 are on today please? I don't think either of these have gone off lease yet (apologies, haven't checked back through thread...)

mic505

317506 was dragged back to Ilford from Kilmarnock on 20th August. 317504 is at Kilmarnock. If you Google "Class 317506" or "317504 2019" on the Flickr Website search it confirms this.

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
It' was still in Colchester shed having accident repairs Thursday. Can let you know in a bit whether it's still there.

Just looked out of the box window.......still here :)

MrPIC

I don't think its a refurb as such, merely just the bare minimum to be compliant. There must be a reason why they are doing it as opposed to seeking an extension from DfT

Rick1984

The Norwich to London 1100 today is 8 cars, no buffet only the two
1st class toilets working!
Unfortunately no declassified first class

Rick1984

Think Coach H I'm sat in must have been a B as there's quite coach signs

Last edited:

Rick1984

And will terminate at Colchester due to a train fault.
Just came on to say that. The two first class toilets full?

Squashed onto a 4 car class 360, but while full and standing not crushed loaded.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
Quite the opposite they offered it in their bid as a way of being compliant
So far only two modified units have come back; neither has carried a passenger. 317506 has been out of service for a year. AGA has 55 class 317s. My bet is that around 50 will not be compliant next year.

dk1

Veteran Member
Just the four Stadlers out to play today on Wherry Line locals with the added variety of a 158 hired in for the 07:15 Sheringham & 08:22 return.

Status
Not open for further replies.