• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
What about traction training for Colchester crews as these units will go on Sudbury branch? The Clacton branch seems the most sensible place to do it.

Quite, there is nowhere else to do it ! plus there will be nothing stopping 755s to / from Clacton if needs be !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I guess the Clacton line has the advantage of a depot at both ends, plus signalled for quite close headways but not much service off peak

Alfie1014

Aren’t the runs on the Clacton line crew training for Colchester crews? As they work the Sudbury branch and IPS to PBO services the Clacton branch is relatively quite (if not under used off peak) and can provide operation on diesel and electric for the crew Service).

One literally drove past me right now, at Wivenhoe, heading for Colchester

EDIT

And back again

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Disappointing on both sides of that interview really.
On the one hand, GA's refusal to admit that the root cause of the situation is actually delayed rollout rather than 'unfortunate mishaps' is concealing the truth somewhat, and also making these interviews unnecessarily adversarial because they can't answer the questions being given to them.
On the other hand, I really don't know what response the interviewer expects from 'so how many trains will be cancelled tomorrow then?' - it should be plainly obvious that isn't something you can predict with any degree of accuracy, nor should anyone in PR attempt to do so.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Just the usual PR machine stuff for the most part unfortunately with spin, deflection and obfuscation but I'm not really surprised.

Denby did flatly deny that the most more modern local trains have departed and replaced by older ones which was clearly a question asked by Look East after the comment from the East Suffolk Travel Association which was referencing the 156s which have replaced the 170s that used to operate on that line at the time, which was misleading bearing in mind there's only a single 170 left.

As you say they're still insistent on blaming mishaps and things beyond their control, when asked the question about if they kept legacy stock for a bit longer if it would mean things are better he essentially suggested that it might make a little difference, when we all know a few extra units would make more difference than a little.

Have to agree that some of the later questions were really stupid, asking for number of trains tomorrow, how reliable or unreliable will your service be and things like that. The interview was good in places but some of the questions asked were ridiculous. Really though, Denby is just a public face, the people who really need to be asked questions are the people making the decisions, not the head of Corporate Affairs who would have had no say in it and is most likely doing what he is told to protect the company.

Greater Anglia still seem to be in a very defensive mode and portraying themselves as victims when the real victims are the passengers who are having to deal with a sub standard and unreliable service. It is getting pretty tiresome.l

D1012

Did anyone see the interview with Jonathan Denby on Look East? Hearing that a lot of deflection was going on?
I'm surprised that the managing director didn't undertake the interview. Instead, he chose to send one of the troops. Brave man.

eastdyke

Established Member
Nice to hear Stewart White again, but he is no Paxman or Neil.
Regardless of the fact it was Jonathan Denby in the frame there will no doubt be extra focus by GA on Lowestoft, remember trains go both ways, Norwich as well as Ipswich. It was possibly the best place for Look East to have highlighted.
GA will not want to be again in the Regional spotlight [on Look East] for the next few days but I wouldn't bet on them not being back.
The East Anglian Daily Times is running with the headline:
'Greater Anglia runs out of trains after two thirds of diesels are sent away'
https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/not-enough-greater-anglia-trains-1-6409504

A lot of people have been and continue to be severely inconvenienced on the East Suffolk, including my beloved students on the 07.44 from Saxmundham to Lowestoft, train cancelled again this morning.
I noticed tonight that a return trip on the Felixstowes was cancelled, not sure if the unit expired or a shuffle occured to avoid an E. Suffolk or Cambridge cancellation.

Let us hope for more trains in service tomorrow.

Disappointing on both sides of that interview really.
On the one hand, GA's refusal to admit that the root cause of the situation is actually delayed rollout rather than 'unfortunate mishaps' is concealing the truth somewhat, and also making these interviews unnecessarily adversarial because they can't answer the questions being given to them.
On the other hand, I really don't know what response the interviewer expects from 'so how many trains will be cancelled tomorrow then?' - it should be plainly obvious that isn't something you can predict with any degree of accuracy, nor should anyone in PR attempt to do so.

But if your stock is all stuck in the workshop because of mishaps, you should have a good idea as to the minimum cancellations the next day, and some plans of where they are going to be?

Shelford

317337 (ex-GN?) now seems to have had the PRM modifications.

The 317s on WA seem to be a bit more reliable this winter so far, there have been fewer cancellations recently and the heating has been working everyday (unlike previously). However many of them are in a fairly poor state despite the recent refurbishment.

Looking forward to 720s arriving, only 10 months late so far.

The Franchise Agreement says:

170 8 vehicles 4 x 2 cars Porterbrook Lease Expiry Date 01/10/2019
170 24 vehicles 8 x 3 cars Porterbrook Lease Expiry Date 01/10/2019

With a footnote which says "One two car Class 170 will remain on lease until 31/01/2020."

But who knows what changes have been made since August 2016.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
So this morning almost all local routes are seemingly cancelled due te signalling problems which doesn't effect legacy rolling stock it seems or other operators.

99 cancellations.

Just been told Felixstowe is out for the rest of the day. If it was really signalling they'd not be saying It so quick

F Great Eastern

Established Member
According to what I have just heard the Norwich to Cambridge line is closed due te a network rail train needing to deal with leaves on the line

However other operators ate running fine and freight is on the Felixstowe line. I wonder if it is something linked to class 755 performance that means they are unable to run. Perhaps braking issues or equipment on train.

According to what I have just heard the Norwich to Cambridge line is closed due te a network rail train needing to deal with leaves on the line

However other operators ate running fine and freight is on the Felixstowe line. I wonder if it is something linked to class 755 performance that means they are unable to run. Perhaps braking issues or equipment on train.

755s stopped due to not activating track circuits.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
You have to say that with the RAIB investigation, track circuit issues, concerns over safe operation of 755s on level crossings and todays drama and the 156s all departing in the next few weeks that things appear to be getting even worse.

The lack of any kind of proper apology to customers and the continued face saving by senior management and the fact that the MD is nowhere to be seen in all of this in the last few weeks, instead sending Denby out whhilst he's happy to pose for photos on trains is very disappointing and you have to question if current GA management have the ability to turn this around and recover from the issues that have happened and the previous decisions that have been made.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
What is going on at Liverpool Street? A lot of trains are being started further up the line that should be leaving Liverpool Street during peak? Seems to be effecting East and West Anglia trains.

17:07 London Liverpool Street to Kings Lynn due 19:09 will be started from Tottenham Hale.
It will no longer call at London Liverpool Street.

17:12 London Liverpool Street to Ipswich due 18:35 will be started from Colchester.
It will no longer call at London Liverpool Street, Stratford, Chelmsford and Kelvedon.

17:30 London Liverpool Street to Norwich due 19:25 will be reinstated.
It will be started from Ipswich.
It will no longer call at London Liverpool Street and Manningtree.

17:38 London Liverpool Street to Harwich International due 19:03 will be started from Chelmsford.
It will no longer call at London Liverpool Street and Stratford.

No reason on JourneyCHeck and staff are not sure.

EssexGonzo

The app says Norwich signalling issues but I can also see at least three Southend Vic cancellations too.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Yeah. Cancellations now showing up on boards. Thought it was lack of rolling stock was my original guess.

Was showing problem under investigation on journeycheck but now lots of signalling issue related delays cancellations and restricted running segments.

Alfie1014

They’ve been Tweeting signal problems between Liv St and Stratford as the reason. Pretty awful evening peak for the Norwich services. The 17:30 from Liv St cancelled no stock, 17:50 8 x 321, 18:10 starting from Colchester due to stock around an hour late from Bounds Green, 18:30 cancelled due to the stock being taken out of service at Colchester in the Up direction due to no working toilets, stock for the 19:00 down arrived in the street 23 late at 18:53, so late start for the return following 19:02 down.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
They’ve been Tweeting signal problems between Liv St and Stratford as the reason. Pretty awful evening peak for the Norwich services. The 17:30 from Liv St cancelled no stock, 17:50 8 x 321, 18:10 starting from Colchester due to stock around an hour late from Bounds Green, 18:30 cancelled due to the stock being taken out of service at Colchester in the Up direction due to no working toilets, stock for the 19:00 down arrived in the street 23 late at 18:53, so late start for the return following 19:02 down.

Posted about it here
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/disruption-at-liverpool-street.196351/

Today has been about the darkest day I can remember in this area and the rest of the week has hardly been great. It's heading towards a full blown crisis.

Last edited:

Having seen the 16:30 heading towards London earlier, the 19:02 has coach B locked out of use and a first class coach replacing a standard. I imagine that it will be quite cosy on there this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.