• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
In October:
The only good thing that will come out of this, is hopefully Abellio will learn the lessons from this for future franchises when it comes to making bids. the way that First did in the past. Failing that, I believe an ex FGE MD is available for consultancy work ;)

Ex First Great Eastern MD, Dave Kaye has now been appointed as COO of Abellio UK Rail, with a particular focus on operations development and fleet management on their franchises.

He's been out of the rail industry directly since leaving FGE, but if that doesn't pose a major barrier he will be an excellent addition to the Abellio team and certainly will provide the operations experience that they have been lacking.

It seems Abellio may have finally woken up and that people on forums might have a point after all rather than being misguided and having no connection to the industry as their famed press releases said about their critics :)

Hopefully this can be the start of some much needed operational focus and improvements - some of the stuff that has happened on GA would never have been allowed on Dave's watch in FGE, lets hope that his influence here results in more realistic plans and timeframe - already heard there's to be a tweak of the 720 timeframe to a more realistic, less ambitious one.

dk1

Veteran Member
The first Airport unit has made it into traffic. 745105 is on GEML duties today commencing with the 07:00 from Norwich.

Domh245

Established Member
And wasn't it always the plan that they'd work some GE services anyway (for getting to/from crown point mainly)

robert west

745004 on 1700 Norwich to ingatestone on Saturday with 1st class at Norwich end but was at London end when seen on sunday

dk1

Veteran Member
745004 on 1700 Norwich to ingatestone on Saturday with 1st class at Norwich end but was at London end when seen on sunday
Was running around a few days like that. Either went into or came out of Crown Point via Trowse Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Shunter_69

Pretty sure there were 2 in reverse formation Saturday and there was definitely one I passed this morning with 1st class country end

While there are not the business passengers about at present to annoy, will this reverse formation be quite common in the future if they want to avoid messing about with visiting Norwich station when transferring from Crown Point to Victoria sidings ?

Railperf

Established Member
Saw a 745 stabled at Orient way for the first time yesterday (Sunday 29th). I'm not a numbers person - so i didn't bother going to check which one. All I know is that it wasn't a Stanex unit as i saw the yellow first class stripe near the front of the train. An interesting contrast with an original liveried Eurostar set just stable no more than 200m away at Temple Mills.

Railperf

Established Member
They will be disgrammed for GE work. Theres nothing for it to do on the west at the moment.
It would be good to start using them on Stansted / Cambridge services - at least to get the WA drivers used to using them on a regular basis - particularly if there are more units available than needed for the current cut-back GE timetable. Plus it would facilitate withdrawal of the clapped out WA Class 317's.
Out of interest, in a post Coronavirus world, i'm wondering how the Norwich to Stansted service will stable at Stansted once the 745/1's are in service. Currently a 755/4 can draw up to an 8-car Class 379 and share the same platform at Stansted and vice versa, but how will that work once the 745/1s are fully deployed?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Interesting. How many more units are there available? Presumably cover for the 360 departure and lack of 720's.

One more 321 (903) plus the 5x 322s are still with Northern.

It would be good to start using them on Stansted / Cambridge services - at least to get the WA drivers used to using them on a regular basis - particularly if there are more units available than needed for the current cut-back GE timetable. Plus it would facilitate withdrawal of the clapped out WA Class 317's.
Out of interest, in a post Coronavirus world, i'm wondering how the Norwich to Stansted service will stable at Stansted once the 745/1's are in service. Currently a 755/4 can draw up to an 8-car Class 379 and share the same platform at Stansted and vice versa, but how will that work once the 745/1s are fully deployed?

Aren't the platforms 1 & 3 at Stansted something like 16 coaches long, although is long enough for both a 745/1 & 755/4?

Railperf

Established Member
One more 321 (903) plus the 5x 322s are still with Northern.

Aren't the platforms 1 & 3 at Stansted something like 16 coaches long, although is long enough for both a 745/1 & 755/4?

Just checked the Anglia Sectional appendix - Platform 1 is 359m and platform 3 is 291m.
Train lengths are: Class 745 - 237m, Class 755/3 - 66m, Class 755/4 - 80m.
So for the moment, it looks as though only Platform 1 would be suitable....as a 745/1 and 755/3 would be a combined length of 303m, plus i guess you need a couple of metres free space between the units.

dk1

Veteran Member
Good question. I don't sign it but do remember hearing it can accommodate 16.

Shunter_69

The 720 went to Manningtree yesterday on test and it fits in Platform 1 with just the very front set of doors locked out of use.

it was a bit closer to the stops than the existing stop board but still got in behind the signal.

Shunter_69

Just checked the Anglia Sectional appendix - Platform 1 is 359m and platform 3 is 291m.
Train lengths are: Class 745 - 237m, Class 755/3 - 66m, Class 755/4 - 80m.
So for the moment, it looks as though only Platform 1 would be suitable....as a 745/1 and 755/3 would be a combined length of 303m, plus i guess you need a couple of metres free space between the units.

I assume selective doors could also be used if it went into 3 on top of a 745.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It would be good to start using them on Stansted / Cambridge services
Although they will be cleared for it, under the planned use the 745s won't be seen at Cambridge in anything other than very disrupted working. And under the current timetable I'd guess that if the 745s were able to be brought in on the Stansted services the 379s would possibly be enough to cover all the 317 diagrams?

RailWonderer

Established Member
Although they will be cleared for it, under the planned use the 745s won't be seen at Cambridge in anything other than very disrupted working.
Says who? 745s were allocated for Stansted and Norwich only. Although it may be more conveneint now with so much spare capacity on the network.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Says who? 745s were allocated for Stansted and Norwich only. Although it may be more conveneint now with so much spare capacity on the network.
there have been 745 (as well as 755) stop markings appeared north of Stansted. That would indicate an intent to clear the line for them presumably for disrupted working. I do appreciate that 10 is enough only to cover Stansted workings

LAX54

Established Member
321901 / 902 with 37800 just passing East Gates en route Clacton.

Status
Not open for further replies.