• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Ilford drivers don’t sign Clacton and no other depot on the East sign them. They have to be conducted between Colchester and Clacton when they go for maintenance.

Not sure if they are cleared for passenger use or not but would seem unlikely to happen given the above.
Thanks for the clarification.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
The /6s generally always have made a bit more of a racket in my experience, although the phase one units are starting to catch up. 343 and 508 are two to watch (well, listen!) out for ;)

I'm wondering how much longer we'll be able to enjoy a 317 on the weekdays only 1907 Liverpool Street - King's Lynn. Tottenham Hale to Audley End non-stop, and an end-to-end run of almost 100 miles!
I had 317663 out to Ipswich not long before it was withdrawn. Loud motors and the driver really went for it; stinky brake smell at every stop. Railperf would have enjoyed timing it I think. I'll watch out for 343 and 508.

Unfortunately the 1907 King's Lynn has been a 379 since it started running again.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
317s ran to King's Lynn until March 20th. Has anything changed since then to prevent them going there?
I think some stations have had their external DOO equipment removed since then, so the only trains that the operators are willing to send up to Kings Lynn are those which have bodyside CCTV cameras fitted.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I think some stations have had their external DOO equipment removed since then, so the only trains that the operators are willing to send up to Kings Lynn are those which have bodyside CCTV cameras fitted.
Really? That seems rather backward until all the 317s are gone. So if a 317 kicks out on the 1907 it gets cancelled at Ely.

Class 170101

Established Member
Really? That seems rather backward until all the 317s are gone. So if a 317 kicks out on the 1907 it gets cancelled at Ely.

Or non-stop to Kings Lynn. Remember most services that way are provided by GTR who run the stations and use Class 387s so why maintain the DOO mirrors for a handful of trains per day. Class 379s suffice and if there is an issue the Class 317s would currently deputise on Stansted Express to release a Class 379 or two.

Established Member
365s are no longer able to run through to King's Lynn for the same reason. I suppose I should have realised it would apply to the 317s too!

Established Member
Class 317s have operated DOO with the driver simply sticking their head out of the window and looking back on many routes, similar to class 315s. Is this method of working, old fashioned as it is, not permissible on this route, for any variety of reasons?

Class 365s, and 321s for that matter, are a different cab design and not so suitable for look back DOO.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Well, theoretically 317s and 365s could still run to Kings Lynn stopping at each station on the way, but you'd need to provide a guard for door operation, which isn't really an option for either (GN have no guards at all obviously and I wouldn't imagine GA guards signing to Kings Lynn or signing 317s).

ashkeba

Established Member
Class 317s have operated DOO with the driver simply sticking their head out of the window and looking back on many routes, similar to class 315s. Is this method of working, old fashioned as it is, not permissible on this route, for any variety of reasons?
S lightly curved platforms at Ely, King's Lynn and maybe Littleport?

Established Member
Absolute 317 gala today for any masochists with 379s restricted to non-multi operation so just a few out. 317s on nearly all Stansteds and many Cambridges.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Absolute 317 gala today for any masochists with 379s restricted to non-multi operation so just a few out. 317s on nearly all Stansteds and many Cambridges.
I'll be one of those masochists later in the week! I see that a 317 worked up from Watlington this morning so they can still run from King's Lynn. I'm assuming the only reason it started at Watlington was that the ECS was late.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
I'll be one of those masochists later in the week! I see that a 317 worked up from Watlington this morning so they can still run from King's Lynn. I'm assuming the only reason it started at Watlington that the ECS was late.

Given the problems with the 379 fleet it might be that they have issued a temporary derogation to allow degraded dispatch with the 317s to avoid cancellations. Much the same as allowing guard dispatch on the 755 units once the number of cancellations due to faulty CCTV was getting out of hand, suddenly it went from "get you back to Norwich then fail the set" to guard dispatch for an protracted period.

ashkeba

Established Member
I'll be one of those masochists later in the week! I see that a 317 worked up from Watlington this morning so they can still run from King's Lynn. I'm assuming the only reason it started at Watlington was that the ECS was late.
Probably but I think the Watlington platforms are straight and the King's Lynn are not.

Established Member
Probably but I think the Watlington platforms are straight and the King's Lynn are not.

Nope incorrect and nothing to do with it. The ECS was late as stated above, was nothing to do with despatch arrangements. The platforms at Kings Lynn are not a restriction on despatch. I think it's CD/RA there anyway, no mirrors or monitors involved.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Nope incorrect and nothing to do with it. The ECS was late as stated above, was nothing to do with despatch arrangements. The platforms at Kings Lynn are not a restriction on despatch. I think it's CD/RA there anyway, no mirrors or monitors involved.
I believe 317512 worked the 1807 LST-KLN throughout yesterday. The 1707 was a pair of 317s to Cambridge for a single 379 forward.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I assume that the 379s not being able to work in multiple is the cause of the short forming on West Anglia that have appeared since?

I say I assume, because Greater Anglia simply are not disclosing why these short forms are happening, avoiding giving a reason on JourneyCheck and are telling passengers that their comments will be noted but not really saying any more than that.

I assume they simply don't want to say anything in case that the press picks up on what apparently happened?

samuelmorris

Established Member
I assume that the 379s not being able to work in multiple is the cause of the short forming on West Anglia that have appeared since?

I say I assume, because Greater Anglia simply are not disclosing why these short forms are happening, avoiding giving a reason on JourneyCheck and are telling passengers that their comments will be noted but not really saying any more than that.

I assume they simply don't want to say anything in case that the press picks up on what apparently happened?
I suspect so, it's very much a root cause they'd want to keep under wraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.