• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
It’s only changed since March. Those seats were needed pre-Covid. I doubt even Nostradamus knew the passenger levels would drop so dramatically.

Post pandemic there will be lots of times when 3+2 is beneficial.

Maybe GA should have ordered 2 complete sets of trains, one with 3+2 for busy times and a second with 2+2 for quieter days.

If there was a like button here, I'd like your post :P

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave1987

On Moderation
It’s only changed since March. Those seats were needed pre-Covid. I doubt even Nostradamus knew the passenger levels would drop so dramatically.

Post pandemic there will be lots of times when 3+2 is beneficial.

Maybe GA should have ordered 2 complete sets of trains, one with 3+2 for busy times and a second with 2+2 for quieter days.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't believe you will ever see the crush loadings into London during the peaks that used to happen pre lockdown. The goalposts have definitely moved post-pandemic. Right now you want rail travel to be as comfortable and fast as possible to encourage people back onto the railways. I believe a 2+2 layout with tables would be quite beneficial right now for the new fleet in trying to encourage people back. The quicker the railway can adjust to the "new normal" the quicker it can start encouraging more people back to rail travel. Wishing and hoping things will go back to the way they were pre-pandemic isn't going to make it happen.

Shunter_69

I'm not so sure about that. I don't believe you will ever see the crush loadings into London during the peaks that used to happen pre lockdown. The goalposts have definitely moved post-pandemic. Right now you want rail travel to be as comfortable and fast as possible to encourage people back onto the railways. I believe a 2+2 layout with tables would be quite beneficial right now for the new fleet in trying to encourage people back. The quicker the railway can adjust to the "new normal" the quicker it can start encouraging more people back to rail travel. Wishing and hoping things will go back to the way they were pre-pandemic isn't going to make it happen.

It’s not just about the peak or London. What about football/concerts at Stratford? Christmas shoppers? The evening peak in school holidays is always busy with commuters and families.

Who knows what lies ahead in the 30 years they are likely to be in service.

Dave1987

On Moderation
It’s not just about the peak or London. What about football/concerts at Stratford? Christmas shoppers? The evening peak in school holidays is always busy with commuters and families.

Who knows what lies ahead in the 30 years they are likely to be in service.

I don't believe any of those even come please to the numbers we used to see during the peaks going into London pre-lockdown. It doesn’t matter what the railways will look like in 30 years time, we need people back to travelling by rail as soon as possible.

Shunter_69

I don't believe any of those even come please to the numbers we used to see during the peaks going into London pre-lockdown. It doesn’t matter what the railways will look like in 30 years time, we need people back to travelling by rail as soon as possible.

Nobody is arguing with needing people back on the railway post pandemic. I’m sure numbers will get closer to pre Covid levels in a few years time.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Nobody is arguing with needing people back on the railway post pandemic. I’m sure numbers will get closer to pre Covid levels in a few years time.

I truly don't believe it will, not to the extent that it was pre-pandemic. Not unless the railway does a lot to encourage people back by making journeys more comfortable and quicker. The Government isn't going to bankroll the railways while we hope that passenger numbers pick up. People have gotten used to the comfort their own cars provide and they have also got used to WFH. The railway needs to do a lot to try and woo them back.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I truly don't believe it will, not to the extent that it was pre-pandemic. Not unless the railway does a lot to encourage people back by making journeys more comfortable and quicker. The Government isn't going to bankroll the railways while we hope that passenger numbers pick up. People have gotten used to the comfort their own cars provide and they have also got used to WFH. The railway needs to do a lot to try and woo them back.
It will be interesting to see what the legroom is like. 3+2 seating with limited legroom isn't going to woo anybody.

Bikeman78

Established Member
It's unsure whether that will ever happen. 0624up/1810dn (SX) along with 0630 1130 1630up/0900 1400 1900dn (SO) are planned however from next year.
If my maths is right that means nine class 745 required. 10 if the Norwich in 90 starts running again. I think class 720 or class 321 substitutes will be a frequent event.

dk1

Veteran Member
If my maths is right that means nine class 745 required. 10 if the Norwich in 90 starts running again. I think class 720 or class 321 substitutes will be a frequent event.
I think the plan is to substitute 745s with 720s on the Stansted first. It won't be so easy to use 720s ad hoc on the Norwich route due to limited driver knowledge.

RailWonderer

Established Member
You made a good point on encouraging people to travel with 2+2. The Aventras have far too many airline seats and not enough bay seats, not conducive to convincing families to go up to London or into town by train without leaning around a seat and accross aisles. The same reason why I think GWR and LNER bombed by using ironing board seats for 4 to 5 and a half hour long journeys. The poor spec is discouraging rail travel, but that's for another post.

Also @dk1 what do you mean by a link?

Astro_Orbiter

Apparently some of the former ARL 317/7 units might be coming back to GA?
I know they have PRM universal toilets (locked out during their overground times) but don't have the door Sounders etc I don't think.
Anyone able to clarify?

Status
Not open for further replies.