• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Timetables

Which Great Eastern Timetable was the best?

• Old FGE timetable 1997-2004

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • "one" timetable 2005-2009 (the one with the HWC/LWT/PBO through trains)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • NXEA "new" timetable 2010-present

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
In their new Olympic timetable booklets, GA have started showing trains that split/join at Colchester & Witham again. Also there is something farmiliar baout them and I worked out that they have gone back to using the same font as (drumroll....) First Great Eastern!

Talk about progress. NXEA went back to using the old FGE timetable in 2010, but with a few more Kelvedon/Ingatestone/Stratford stoppers and without the fast Ipswich-London EMU. So in 10 years, the service is the same but with one less Ipswich-London train. I really do think Harwich deserves a through service to London more than Colchester Town does, the 2005-2009 timetable was superior that way, but the hourly 170s into London was idiotic.

Either way, I emailed GA saying how happy I was that splitting trains were once again shown, and suggested they put some form of notation in the main timetable regarding through trains to Harwich. Their response:

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your email concerning our Olympic timetables.

I was pleased to read that you approve of the layout of the timetables showing the connecting services. I have passed your comments on this matter onto our Train Planning Department for review. Our current timetables are planned to be revised in December, but I would point out that we receive many such comments, so I cannot guarantee that we will be able to adopt your suggestion.

I have also logged your comments on to our system which will be made available for management to review and consider. Your feedback is important to us and is collated by this office on a weekly basis for review by the Director team within Greater Anglia.

Once again, thank you for your comments and for taking the time to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Natasha Ward
Customer Relations Advisor
Greater Anglia

I asked about the nature of the revisions, and their response was:

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your further email.

Our Train Planning Department will continue to adapt the timetables in preparation for their release. Unfortunately, at this time I am unable to provide any further information relating to the timetables and their layout as we have no further information regarding this. I am sorry for the disappointment this may cause you.

Once again, thank you for your comments and for taking the time to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Natasha Ward
Customer Relations Advisor
Greater Anglia

So, a change is coming in December then, be it a timetable recast or a change in the layout of the timetable booklets.

Adam :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I really do think Harwich deserves a through service to London more than Colchester Town does, the 2005-2009 timetable was superior that way, but the hourly 170s into London was idiotic.

From my experience, the Harwich trains are empty off-peak (indeed, Harwich International is ghostly silent when there's no cruiseliners or similar about), so I can't really see the justification for throughs once more - plus it gives the potential extra headache of fitting the train in, with the times as they are now, it would mean that the Norwich trains would be right up the backside of the 321s on / off the branch. Having said that, it may give the increase in service that may justify removing Manningtree from one of the NRW trains an hour, thus advantaging the majority of passengers to / from Suffolk and Norfolk.

Crisso

I really do think Harwich deserves a through service to London more than Colchester Town does

To be honest, Colchester Town Station is well used and far better sited for the centre as its name implies! opposed to the main Colchester (North) Station which is on the fringe and a Bus ride away from the Shops, etc. Moreover, there is much new house building being constructed on the Southern side of Colchester and, Passenger numbers are steadily increasing from Colchester Town Station.

Pugwash

In their new Olympic timetable booklets, GA have started showing trains that split/join at Colchester & Witham again. Also there is something farmiliar baout them and I worked out that they have gone back to using the same font as (drumroll....) First Great Eastern!

Talk about progress. NXEA went back to using the old FGE timetable in 2010, but with a few more Kelvedon/Ingatestone/Stratford stoppers and without the fast Ipswich-London EMU. So in 10 years, the service is the same but with one less Ipswich-London train. I really do think Harwich deserves a through service to London more than Colchester Town does, the 2005-2009 timetable was superior that way, but the hourly 170s into London was idiotic.

Either way, I emailed GA saying how happy I was that splitting trains were once again shown, and suggested they put some form of notation in the main timetable regarding through trains to Harwich. Their response:

I asked about the nature of the revisions, and their response was:

So, a change is coming in December then, be it a timetable recast or a change in the layout of the timetable booklets.

Would you be able to scan the oldest of them so we can compare journey times ?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
there seems to be a misprint in the Cambridge-London timetable, showing the 0740 Cambridge-Stansted XC service 10 minutes early at Cambridge (0730) and Audley End (0744) but "normal" time at Stansted (0809). Journey planners show it as normal time. If it is early, it won't half interfere with my cycle to work...

SprinterMan

Established Member
Service levels at Great Eastern Mainline stations:

Ipswich had 4tph to London in this timetable and 3tph currently due to the cancelled EMU.

Manningtree had 3tph to London in this timetable and 3tph currently, with both ICs calling there now, replacing the cancelled EMU.

Colchester had 6tph to London in this timetable and 5tph currently due to the cancelled EMU.

Marks Tey had 1tph to London in this timetable and 2tph currently.

Kelvedon had 1tph to London in this timetable and 2tph currently.

Witham had 4tph to London in this timetable and 4tph currently (no change).

Hatfield Peverel had 1tph to London in this timetable and 1tph currently (no change, although Ipswich instead of Braintree now).

Chelmsford had 5tph to London in this timetable and 5tph currently, with an IC calling there now, replacing the cancelled EMU.

Ingatestone had 1tph to London in this timetable and 2tph currently but no longer has a rare IC service.

So, Ipswich and Colchester have lost out, Marks Tey, Kelvedon and Ingatestone have gained, and all others are the same.

Chelmsford and Manningtree have more IC services than they did before, but Ingatestone now has none (like it ever needed them).

Out of interest, do people think that the current timetable is best, the old FGE timetable or the 2005-9 one with all the through trains?

Last edited:

iphone76

FGE timetable for me. 3 trains an hour on a Sunday up the mainline and Southend branch (which didn't stop at almost every stop to London).

colchesterken

I know everyone wants the best service from their station
Colchester town is the centre station for Colchester a short walk from the shops where as North is about 2 miles from town
The first Senior railcard train the 0858 takes 1 hr 16 min to Liv st.about 52 miles. I can see the station from my back garden but it is better to get to North station to get a Mk 3 train

Status
Not open for further replies.