• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia train timetabled to make a seemingly random stop at Ilford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saenkazak

Hello all,

Having looked through the Greater Anglia timetable, I noticed an anomaly in the stopping patterns this week for Greater Anglia. It's relatively minor but being the inquisitive timetable freak that I am, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto why this is the case.

This is the service and I've also put a screenshot below:

1626737055567.png

Why is this train scheduled to make a stop at Ilford? A part of me would have thought the platforms are surely not long enough to fit a full Class 745 allocation.
My presumption is that there is some kind of engineering work-related block at Stratford and hence the operators have decided to provide interchange at Ilford instead.
Also is there any way of knowing/predicting when random or anomalous stops are made on the Great Eastern route? I've seen a few of these before - once at Forest Gate and a few other locations and I would love to catch a video of a 745 or 720 making an anomalous stop!

Thank you very much!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shwam3

Not sure why the stop has been booked, but as 745s are not permitted to call at Ilford (or any other stations between Shenfield and Stratford), it won't be calling on the day.

dk1

Veteran Member
Possibly a test trip as it’s not shown if you select it as a bookable train enquiry. As stated 745s cannot call at stations Brentwood to Maryland inclusive. It has been known for Intercity trains to stop at Seven Kings & Ilford to pick up/set down drivers but at no time would doors be released.

I have called at Ilford twice with a 90/DVT set over the years to de-train passengers. On both occasions coaches J & K (1st class) where locked out of use & the DVT off the platform.

NSE

Established Member
It’s right by Ilford depot. I don’t know but I know they can often stop the occasional train for picking up/dropping off staff. Don’t know if that’s happening here tho.

dk1

Veteran Member
Also 1P21 is not one of the trains recently put back in the improved timetable.

Looks like it’s all a planning error to do with headcodes. Some double/triple 755 testing ongoing this week in those timings. I think also it was originally 08:26 from Crown Point but if the units where left the previous day or brought in for the driver overnight it starts from Norwich.

Last edited:

Shwam3

Looks like it’s all a planning error to do with headcodes. Some double/triple 755 testing ongoing this week in those timings. I think also it was originally 08:26 from Crown Point but if the units where left the previous day or brought in for the driver overnight it starts from Norwich.
This is on Sunday, testing doesn't run on weekends if it can be avoided.

It appears in journey planners & you can buy a ticket for the journey:
Screenshot_20210720-104702.png

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This is on Sunday, testing doesn't run on weekends if it can be avoided.

It appears in journey planners & you can buy a ticket for the journey:View attachment 99948
The fact that you are shown it in journey planners doesn't mean it can't be an error!

Established Member
There’s been a few test trains escaping into the public domain recently, noticed one on the screen at Colchester last week. It is a data error somewhere.

Seven Kings is the station for the authorised walking route to and from Ilford Car Sheds. This Ilford call is odd as the train has lots of pathing time before Ilford, but nothing in front, and is then just 2 minutes ahead of the following Southend train. Someone will know why but it isn’t obvious.

Class 170101

Established Member
There’s been a few test trains escaping into the public domain recently, noticed one on the screen at Colchester last week. It is a data error somewhere.

Seven Kings is the station for the authorised walking route to and from Ilford Car Sheds. This Ilford call is odd as the train has lots of pathing time before Ilford, but nothing in front, and is then just 2 minutes ahead of the following Southend train. Someone will know why but it isn’t obvious.

Looks like its due to two track railway from Gidea Park to Liverpool Street. The Ilford stop has gone anyway.

Established Member
Looks like its due to two track railway from Gidea Park to Liverpool Street. The Ilford stop has gone anyway.
Indeed it is a 2 track railway, so the pathing time is for following a TfL service. Wasn’t expecting that on a Summer Sunday but there seems to be a lot of Crossrail tunnel moves at Stratford later on which may be part of the reason for the possession too.

saenkazak

I assume this is the most likely scenario considering the stop has now disappeared from RTT. The stop is still showing through in some data feeds including the GA website departure board though, so it may be taking some time to filter through and update.

On a separate but related note, the stop at Ilford could hypothetically be a useful alternative interchange point for some TfL and Anglia services, especially considering how narrow the platforms are at Stratford. When Crossrail opens for real, I can sense Stratford will have some severe problems with overcrowding as commuters change off of GA services onto Crossrail trains.

Either that, or they could utilise the Romford stop more. Perhaps swapping the Shenfield stop for a more useful stop at busier Romford isn't a bad idea for at least some of the GA regionals.

dk1

Veteran Member
I assume this is the most likely scenario considering the stop has now disappeared from RTT. The stop is still showing through in some data feeds including the GA website departure board though, so it may be taking some time to filter through and update.

On a separate but related note, the stop at Ilford could hypothetically be a useful alternative interchange point for some TfL and Anglia services, especially considering how narrow the platforms are at Stratford. When Crossrail opens for real, I can sense Stratford will have some severe problems with overcrowding as commuters change off of GA services onto Crossrail trains.

Either that, or they could utilise the Romford stop more. Perhaps swapping the Shenfield stop for a more useful stop at busier Romford isn't a bad idea for at least some of the GA regionals.
The platforms at Ilford & Romford are not long enough for 745s or pairs of 720s so I cannot see it being used anymore. Certainly wouldn’t want to stop Intercity services at either. Stratford managed to cope during the 2012 Olympics so I shouldn’t imagine CrossRail being too much of a problem.

Shwam3

The platforms at Ilford & Romford are not long enough for 745s or pairs of 720s so I cannot see it being used anymore. Certainly wouldn’t want to stop Intercity services at either. Stratford managed to cope during the 2012 Olympics so I shouldn’t imagine CrossRail being too much of a problem.
Pairs of 720s still call at Romford using ASDO. Now that the platforms there are extended to 9 car length, there is an intention to clear them for 745s so that the option is available.

dk1

Veteran Member
Pairs of 720s still call at Romford using ASDO. Now that the platforms there are extended to 9 car length, there is an intention to clear them for 745s so that the option is available.
Good to hear the 720 issue has been sorted. Let's hope once cleard for 745s it's only when they eventually start GE duties or during disruption. Dont want any extra calls in Norwich IC services.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Looks as if the train quoted in the original post has been republished with no Ilford stop now shown.

StephenHunter

Established Member
There are signs at the GA platforms at Shenfield and Stratford reminding drivers to check if they are calling at Romford.

Status
Not open for further replies.