• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Travelcard and Oyster confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrykas

Established Member
Good afternoon,

Having contacted Greater Anglia Customer Relations regarding the multitude of different prices for Travelcards and Oyster out to Broxbourne and Shenfield, I received an answer this morning.

The basic upshot of this is that the appropriate Travelcards will be repriced to the TfL levels with the May fares round (though they point out that there is no obligation on them to do so), with validity in Zones 7-9 to follow once agreement has been reached with the relevant parties, hopefully with the September fares round.

This means that until the additional availability is confirmed, if someone was starting at the affected stations and wanted to travel to a station in Zones 7-9, they would need to use Oyster.

Cheers,

Barry

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Interesting. Seems like a botched job to extend the Travelcard zones before all parties have agreed.

Clip

Established Member
A major change in prices to Shenfield could play havoc with GA's revenues

Ive been saying this about the extension of Oyster to Dartford affecting SE's revenue too but it simply 'Must do!'.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A major change in prices to Shenfield could play havoc with GA's revenues

Then this should not have been implemented.

I may be wrong, but I think someone is missing the point. I don't think anyone is suggesting re-pricing tickets from Shenfield, Brentwood or Broxbourne, but rather the stations between zone 6 and Broxbourne which have been put into zones 7 and 8. It seems to me that a paper travelcard from Theobalds Grove would not be valid in zones 7-9 to the north west of London whereas the Oyster equivalent is. There may be a similar additional validity from Shenfield, Brentwood and Broxbourne to include zones 7-9 in NW London, but I'm not quite sure that this is the main issue. Indeed, how many passengers from Shenfield routinely travel to Amersham? I'd suggest not many.

Ive been saying this about the extension of Oyster to Dartford affecting SE's revenue too but it simply 'Must do!'.

Here we go again! It will affect their ability to PF unsuspecting travellers at Dartford, yes. Properly priced in relation to the Dartford to zones 1-6 travelcard would not see a significant reduction in genuine fare revenue. In fact I'd suggest that including Dartford in the Oyster system would probably benefit SE overall, but they're so blind to Oyster economics that they certainly can't see it.

barrykas

Established Member
I may be wrong, but I think someone is missing the point. I don't think anyone is suggesting re-pricing tickets from Shenfield, Brentwood or Broxbourne, but rather the stations between zone 6 and Broxbourne which have been put into zones 7 and 8. It seems to me that a paper travelcard from Theobalds Grove would not be valid in zones 7-9 to the north west of London whereas the Oyster equivalent is. There may be a similar additional validity from Shenfield, Brentwood and Broxbourne to include zones 7-9 in NW London, but I'm not quite sure that this is the main issue. Indeed, how many passengers from Shenfield routinely travel to Amersham? I'd suggest not many.

For a bit of context, the original issue is that the newly "Oysterised" Greater Anglia stations have up to four different prices for Day Travelcards, depending on whether you look at the TfL site, BRFares.com, the Fares Finder in The Manual or a TIS or website. (I'll ignore the difference between paper tickets and Oyster capping for now, as it's not relevant to this part).

Ignoring BRFares.com and The Manual for a moment, this effectively means you've got two different prices for the same tickets, depending on whether you buy them from a TfL outlet or a National Rail one.

So if you go to an Underground station and ask for a Travelcard that covers you out to Cheshunt, they'll sell you one for Zones 1-9. Go to a National Rail station and ask for the same, you get Cheshunt - London Zones 1-6 (or possibly London - Zones 1-6 plus an extension) without the Zone 7-9 availability, and pay more (£15.70 vs £12.10) for the privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.