• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia TVMs-Liverpool Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEW

Established Member
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I haven't noticed it. I was playing around on the TVMs at Liverpool Street today, particularly the newer models Greater Anglia have. I'm not sure by what manufacturer they are but they are much smaller than the other S&B TVMs at the station. I was pleased to discover that when selecting destinations which would not logically be reached from Liverpool Street it offered me a ticket from London Zone U12, rather than London Terminals. I know there have been problems with TVMs selling tickets with the origin London Terminals at an inappropriate London Terminal. I tried out the destination Guildford and it correctly did not offer a ticket with origin London Terminals. On trying out one of the S&B TVMs elsewhere on the station they would have sold me a ticket with origin London Terminals. Slightly concerningly though they were also offering tickets with U Zone origins for destinations which you would only reach from Liverpool Street. With the destination Stansted Airport the TVM would sell any origin from London Terminals right up to Zone U1256 London. How many people will accidentally pay too much for the journey as they are unusure which ticket they should buy? The TVM offered no explanation about what 'U Zones' were.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hassocks5489

I think these must be the four Shere FASTticket machines that were installed some time ago specifically for Stansted Express tickets, although I believe they now sell other tickets as well. My records show two were installed in about 2006 and the other two in about 2008. It's ages since I've been, but I think they had an unusually slimline case. (For the record there are also 18 S&B machines at Liv St.)

Did you happen to buy a ticket? - If so, I could deduce based on the machine number.

TEW

Established Member
Yes, those would be the ones. They were covered in Stansted Express branding and on the first screen the only destinations offered were Harlow Town, Bishops Stortford and Stansted Airport. All other destinations could only be reached via the A-Z picker.

Status
Not open for further replies.