• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Vacancies -Trainee Mainline Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPS1550

Had anyone else applied for the shunter position ( not depot driver) in Cambridge? Just got an unsuccessful @ shortlisting email:rolleyes:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ratbag

Had anyone else applied for the shunter position ( not depot driver) in Cambridge? Just got an unsuccessful @ shortlisting email:rolleyes:

Genuinely sorry to hear that. I got rejected in the sift by EMT. The only thing I can say is, keep plugging away. From reading this forum, it appears to be about perseverance. Get the chance to take your assessments and if you pass those and get rejected at DMI, or MMI, the chances of you going straight to DMI, with another TOC, multiplies ten-fold.

Did GA ask you in a previous email, if you had passed your psychometric, stage 1, or stage 2 assessments with another TOC?

UPS1550

Genuinely sorry to hear that. I got rejected in the sift by EMT. The only thing I can say is, keep plugging away. From reading this forum, it appears to be about perseverance. Get the chance to take your assessments and if you pass those and get rejected at DMI, or MMI, the chances of you going straight to DMI, with another TOC, multiplies ten-fold.

Did GA ask you in a previous email, if you had passed your psychometric, stage 1, or stage 2 assessments with another TOC?
Also just got the EMT boot lol, I'm still 'under consideration' for depot and mainline driver with GA this was a different vacancy 12 month fixed contract in Cambridge depot, I've not done any tests before.

I spoke to recruitment on live chat earlier about the "private driver assessment" DB schenker apparently run (separate thread) but they wouldn't commit as to wether they accept these or not, just 'depends on the TOC ' :s see if can find out more about it tomorrow

OneLowban

Hi onelowban

Yes I have, it's going to be one of those once in a life time chances, been wanting it for a few years but kept missing any adverts.

It's really good to hear from someone that has already made it and has started their journey already, I started to read your thread about your journey so far.

I see you said you were Cambridge I'm interested in Cambridge Stortford or Norwich basically I would except any depo, I'm used to travelling to work ibcurrenly travel 65 miles each way so a little less would be a nice change.

I've signed up to a 6mth licence with jobprep and I'll work through their example.

But yes please continue to share your knowledge your input is helping so many.

Indeed, keep an eye on these forums and check TOCs websites yourself too and apply for anything you see.

Glad the thread helps. :smile:

I think you have a fair chance and Cambridge and Norwich as they seem to have the most vacancies and from with the new trains being stabled there etc seem like the two depots to go for at the moment.

Do you need a DBS/CRB check once the course is complete for this does anyone know? And if so how much do they cost? TIA
Don’t think so, I haven’t heard anything like that.

Lee Saunders

Indeed, keep an eye on these forums and check TOCs websites yourself too and apply for anything you see.

I think you have a fair chance and Cambridge and Norwich as they seem to have the most vacancies and from with the new trains being stabled there etc seem like the two depots to go for at the moment.

It’s looking like a massive long shot to even get a a job at the end of it all considering there only seems to be vacancies at Cambridge or Norwich. if your lucky enough to pass it all that is. I’m really hoping but don’t wont to give up as I really would love to be train driver one day. But thanks again. I keep saying that lol but honestly thanks for all the knowledge and support appreciate it all.

I think you do undertake a DBS check, I'm sure i have read that somewhere.

Stigy

Established Member
I think you do undertake a DBS check, I'm sure i have read that somewhere.
All TOCs will carry out a DBS or similar check. It’s usually at no cost to the applicant, however if they do ask the applicant to do it themselves, said applicant will have the amount (about £20) reimbursed. It’s usually the most basic of disclosures, which only shows recorded convictions on the Police National Computer (PNC). Basically unless you’re a bit of a wrong ‘un, it’s nothing to worry about ;)

OneLowban

It’s looking like a massive long shot to even get a a job at the end of it all considering there only seems to be vacancies at Cambridge or Norwich. if your lucky enough to pass it all that is. I’m really hoping but don’t wont to give up as I really would love to be train driver one day. But thanks again. I keep saying that lol but honestly thanks for all the knowledge and support appreciate it all.
Give every vacancy your best shot that’s all you can do. :smile:

No worries! I know the feeling of wanting the job, just keep at it.

All TOCs will carry out a DBS or similar check. It’s usually at no cost to the applicant, however if they do ask the applicant to do it themselves, said applicant will have the amount (about £20) reimbursed. It’s usually the most basic of disclosures, which only shows recorded convictions on the Police National Computer (PNC). Basically unless you’re a bit of a wrong ‘un, it’s nothing to worry about ;)
Ah right, there you go. I would have thought some sort of check would go on but nothing I was told up front about is what I meant, sorry. Thanks for the knowledge.

Lee Saunders

Ah right, there you go. I would have thought some sort of check would go on but nothing I was told up front about is what I meant, sorry. Thanks for the knowledge.
I’m sure when it said the nearest stations part on the application it let me select 3 instead of 2 for the nearest stations to your home. I put bishops stortford, Colchester and Southend Victoria. I remember them saying choose the closest 2, Stortford is literally round the corner from me but I wasn’t sure out of Colchester and Southend so ended up picking both of them and it let me do it (3) Hope this doesn’t affect anything.

Ok thank you for that. Should be ok lol

Lee Saunders

I’m sure when it said the nearest stations part on the application it let me select 3 instead of 2 for the nearest stations to your home. I put bishops stortford, Colchester and Southend Victoria. I remember them saying choose the closest 2, Stortford is literally round the corner from me but I wasn’t sure out of Colchester and Southend so ended up picking both of them and it let me do it (all three) has this happened to anyone else? TIA

OneLowban

I’m sure when it said the nearest stations part on the application it let me select 3 instead of 2 for the nearest stations to your home. I put bishops stortford, Colchester and Southend Victoria. I remember them saying choose the closest 2, Stortford is literally round the corner from me but I wasn’t sure out of Colchester and Southend so ended up picking both of them and it let me do it (all three) has this happened to anyone else? TIA
I wouldn’t worry too much about that, I’m sure when I did it I could pick the nearest station to me where GA didn’t even operate as a main route.

I’d recommend just getting in the door (within reason of course) then conversations can take place further down the road. :smile:

Lee Saunders

I wouldn’t worry too much about that, I’m sure when I did it I could pick the nearest station to me where GA didn’t even operate as a main route.

I’d recommend just getting in the door (within reason of course) then conversations can take place further down the road. :smile:
This is true lol, I’m literally worrying about everything and I’m only at the start of it. One step at a time and all that:)

Roy Gill

now that's what i call a positive response.

just got to jump the hurdles

Roy Gill

good advice, feet under table first

TheGoldfish

Can anyone shed some light please?

Just got an update on my application for the Mainline / Depot driver roles from GA. They previously asked what assessments I'd taken of which I sent them the details. (taken with GWR last year).

They've checked the results and say they're all ok although it appears I never took the DFFT (Driver Fault Finding Test) which they will also require so I'll have to attend just to sit that one with them ?

Subsequently I found there is a thread on here but there seems to be confusion in the posts over whether or not it's the same as TRP (Training Rules & Procedures) ?

From what I can see this appears similar to a test I did with GWR with the sets Dials with the different colour sections and needles at different places denoting which is the correct order for checking in priority ?

Does anyone know if this the same or similar to the DFFT and know why GWR wouldn't have included the same tests in their process as GA? I would have thought them a standard process?

Thanks

OneLowban

Can anyone shed some light please?

Just got an update on my application for the Mainline / Depot driver roles from GA. They previously asked what assessments I'd taken of which I sent them the details. (taken with GWR last year).

They've checked the results and say they're all ok although it appears I never took the DFFT (Driver Fault Finding Test) which they will also require so I'll have to attend just to sit that one with them ?

Subsequently I found there is a thread on here but there seems to be confusion in the posts over whether or not it's the same as TRP (Training Rules & Procedures) ?

From what I can see this appears similar to a test I did with GWR with the sets Dials with the different colour sections and needles at different places denoting which is the correct order for checking in priority ?

Does anyone know if this the same or similar to the DFFT and know why GWR wouldn't have included the same tests in their process as GA? I would have thought them a standard process?

Thanks
See this post for DFFT.

Oz Salim

First time posting on the forum, been super useful!! In the same boat as most having completed SJT and passed a few weeks back. Was wondering if anyone has been invited for assessment days or is it the case they will deal with those who have completed Stage 1 or 2 first? Thanks

B Boy 82

First time posting on the forum, been super useful!! In the same boat as most having completed SJT and passed a few weeks back. Was wondering if anyone has been invited for assessment days or is it the case they will deal with those who have completed Stage 1 or 2 first? Thanks
I believe that is the case then what ever space they have left lucky candidates will be invited for assessments

ratbag

GA have asked a few candidates who've passed their SJT, if they have passed any stages before(IE: Psycho-metrics Stage 1, or Stage 2). I agree, when GA have enough of those guys, they will then offer assessments to those who have never taken an assessment before. It's a good way to save costs, by not having to put so many people through assessments, allowing them to cherry pick people with good SJT's, who have already passed their assessment stages and go straight to DMI.

NJS71

I’ve had an email through to book my assessment day. So another little hurdle successfully passed. That’s made my week

The assessment centre I have got is Stratford. It’s a 1 day affair, starting at 9:30 finishing at 16:00, if successful on
all the tests.

In the letter it states that if you are not meeting the required standards during the day then
you’ll be sent home earlier. So I’ll be aiming for a 16:00 finish!

The attached pdf’s I got with my email cover the whole day in detail, with plenty of practice tests and advice about the day.

My timeline...

24/04/19 ....... Initial Application.
30/04/19 ....... Online SJT Submitted.
07/06/19 ....... Invited for assessment at Stratford.

14/06/19 ....... Assessment Day...

Last edited:

Maka

I’ve had an email through to book my assessment day. So another little hurdle successfully passed. That’s made my week

The assessment centre I have got is Stratford. It’s a 1 day affair, starting at 9:30 finishing at 16:00, if successful on
all the tests.

In the letter it states that if you are not meeting the required standards during the day then

The attached pdf’s I got with my email cover the whole day in detail, with plenty of practice tests and advice about the day.

My timeline...

Thanks for the timing, gives us all a bit of hope . Many congrats and good luck!

Roy Gill

all the tests.

My timeline...

Awesome news,

Good luck on the day

Keep us all posted

Lee Saunders

all the tests.

My timeline...

Well done for getting to the next stage. I did my SJT assessment on 3rd May so hoping to hear from them soon, I got told mine will be Stratford to just waiting for the email. Just hoping to get a rough idea what to expect on the day with what tests/assessments you have to do. Good luck on the 14th hope all goes well.

NJS71

Thanks

Hopefully people on here will start getting there invites through soon.

Here is how the day at Stratford is arranged.

CA40E8E6-B9D6-418F-BE5F-D5BEE08D9076.jpeg
116234D4-68C3-4FC2-923B-4621DE5F1D53.jpeg

Twotwo

all the tests.

My timeline...

Congratulations. Which depot did you put down?

Status
Not open for further replies.