• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Vacancies -Trainee Mainline Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneLowban

Timpg said:
Cheers mate. I must admit, I’ve been checking the career page everyday for months now, even fired of an email to recruitment asking if there’s any more plans to recruit. So as you can imagine, when I spotted the advert. Everything was dropped and an application went in immediately lol!! I would have applied for your intake last year, but I was doing my assessments elsewhere.
Ah okay I see. Lol yeah that’s the best way just get your applications in ASAP to prevent missing it.

Well i have just submitted my application. Good luck to everyone that has applied. Just a question for all.... how do you plan to adapt to the 25k starting wage for the first year? I have a wife and 2 children and my wife does not work. Is this 25k pay fixed or is there scope for overtime within the first year? I guess i will just have to make it work but also looking for other peoples experiences or plans.

thanks

What depot will you be going for?

I believe only Norwich is £25k, I also believe that the 2 Norwich guys on my course got a bit extra for travelling down but you would have to ask GA direct if you are applying for there.

Cambridge, Stortford, Liverpool Street training wage is £30k but I believe a pay rise is in bound as it’s april so will probably be £31k by the time you would start. This will be for around 5 months.

Nothing extra until you start your hours where you can do Sundays and get an extra £100-£200 depending how many Sundays you do in the 4 week pay period and what your DI does. But if your DI does rest days you can’t do those, only his/her booked Sundays.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TONE.84

@OneLowban do does training take 5/6 months and then you’re qualified and driving on your own?
Also what’s the shifts? Just a rough example? How many week before your block of rest days?

I’ve been accepted onto crossrail but just keeping my options open really so be interesting to hear about another company and compare?
Cheers

Aivilo

Training is normally around 12 months (classroom is approximately 3 1/2 not including any depot experience or front end turns) I've known people to take up to two years and some to do it in under 12.

Lots of factors including the candidates ability to retain information and apply themselves or simple availability of instructors for things like hours

OneLowban

@OneLowban do does training take 5/6 months and then you’re qualified and driving on your own?
Also what’s the shifts? Just a rough example? How many week before your block of rest days?

I’ve been accepted onto crossrail but just keeping my options open really so be interesting to hear about another company and compare?
Cheers
I was in the classroom/learning for 5 months then on the 6th month I started my driving hours. 225 minimum then once qualified after an assessment I will be alone. I’m hearing about July/August so that will make my training around 10 months.

4 day week, earliest start is 5am, latest day finish is around 1am I believe then you have a few night turns. All depot dependant, though.

Downs523

Thanks for the replies, this is a very informative thread. What's the pass rate? Do people generally fail the course or not? Big risk to leave my current role (police officer 10 years service). Thanks

Aivilo

The only fail section is PTS and if you can't pass that the job isn't for you. Throughout the course you'll be assessed and if your in need of some extra tuition they will give it .you are an investment to the business a d they don't want to fail you

Static65

I don't know any stats for GA, but Northern quote their pass rate as 96%. If you apply yourself and don't have a drink/drug problem then you should be fine.

OneLowban

Thanks for the replies, this is a very informative thread. What's the pass rate? Do people generally fail the course or not? Big risk to leave my current role (police officer 10 years service). Thanks

Pass rate is very high I’ve been told at GA. It is technically possible to fail modules as well as PTS but IMHO if you just keep your head down and learn what you’ve been taught you will be fine.

As you are a police officer too I wouldn’t see you having any problem. There are 2 ex police on my course and they have no regrets. The people that fail are generally people with bad attitude or arrogant etc. As said if you are not like that and generally need help, it’s there. They want you to succeed.

100% go for it.

DepotDosser

I have just received 7 emails (think there is a system glitch!) inviting me to do some onlines assessments for this role.

I note that they used the word assessments and not assessment. So is this more than just the normal SJT?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Railfan132

I have just received 7 emails (think there is a system glitch!) inviting me to do some onlines assessments for this role.

I note that they used the word assessments and not assessment. So is this more than just the normal SJT?

I got same emails as well, I wonder whether this is part of psychometric tests or just sjt and also does everyone who applied got email or only those who are shortlisted for the next stage?

Gorlash1886

I got the selection of emails as well and to be fair I only put in my application yesterday

OneLowban

Must be a GA thing as last year I received the email 3 times lol.

Can’t give much on the application for GA as I had already done the assessments but good luck to all!

DepotDosser

Interesting. I can’t do mine for 3 days as away on business, but if any of you guys do yours it would be great to know if it os just a Situational judgement or a pyschometric etc...

Timpg

Must be a GA thing as last year I received the email 3 times lol.

Can’t give much on the application for GA as I had already done the assessments but good luck to all!

Hi mate, so when you applied for GA last year, did you have to do any assessments at all? It’s just I also already have my psychometric passes. Obviously don’t want these affected by starting a GA assessment.

OneLowban

Hi mate, so when you applied for GA last year, did you have to do any assessments at all? It’s just I also already have my psychometric passes. Obviously don’t want these affected by starting a GA assessment.

Can’t be sure I did any to be honest, if I did it was only a simple SJT. But again, could well have just gona straight to DMI. Can’t find any emails in my inbox regarding tests. It must have just been a confirmation email.

Firestarter

Only assessment affected are the ones you actually sit in a assessment centre not ones you sit at home

GavinReynolds

Hi,

I've just completed mine. It's just one SJT.

HTH

Gavin.

Timpg

Hi,

I've just completed mine. It's just one SJT.

HTH

Gavin.

Cool cheers mate. Will have a go tomorrow as I’m off to work soon. How did you find it? Was it the typical multiple choice question, with two answers you’d definitely choose and two answers you’d definitely not choose??

Downs523

Hi guys... I have too received around 7.emails with the link for the online assessment. I am completely new to this and have no idea what to expect. I am planning to complete it either tomorrow evening or Thursday evening as working nights at the moment and will have 5 kids in the house!!!!

For those who have done this any idea what to expect? Is it timed, can I come.back to it etc...

Any help here.or via private message would.be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Twotwo

19 SJT questions. You got 30 mins but I did mines in under 20 mins.

crebbs1

Feeling a bit disappointed that I only received 6 of the same emails lol

Hi guys... I have too received around 7.emails with the link for the online assessment. I am completely new to this and have no idea what to expect. I am planning to complete it either tomorrow evening or Thursday evening as working nights at the moment and will have 5 kids in the house!!!!

For those who have done this any idea what to expect? Is it timed, can I come.back to it etc...

Any help here.or via private message would.be greatly appreciated.

Chris
It is not a timed test and you must complete it in one sitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.