• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Vacancies -Trainee Mainline Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonty

Had a email this morning offering me a Stage 1 date next Thursday at Stratford. (Mainline, Norwich)

Applied relatively soon after it went up & had practically forgotten about it....

Rather unexpected to say the least.
Might have spent some cash on practice materials earlier / with more notice :/

Interested to see if we've got anyone else in the same boat.

I have never known a recruitment process like it , I agree abit more notice after waiting 6months would not have gone a miss . congrats on the stage 1 , I presume your attending ??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leezer3

Absolutely attending :)
Probably will go nowhere, but this would be my dream job off Bury or Crown Point.

Minor kerfuffle getting the day off work, but nothing major. More of a pig getting up at 6AM to get the train from Norwich as I usually work lates, but these things are sent to try us.....

Teddyward

Probably will go nowhere, but this would be my dream job off Bury or Crown Point.

Minor kerfuffle getting the day off work, but nothing major. More of a pig getting up at 6AM to get the train from Norwich as I usually work lates, but these things are sent to try us.....
Best of luck. If you get through you’ll have the treat of going Stratford every morning to do your rules.

Jonty

Good luck buddy , let us know how it goes.

Mekiz79

Had my DMI today with GA, from what I can gather I passed, as he said I'll let HR know I am happy with you and then they will arrange your medical etc. Hopefully that all goes well and I will get a start date for the new year! :D

Knowledgeboy

Had my DMI today with GA, from what I can gather I passed, as he said I'll let HR know I am happy with you and then they will arrange your medical etc. Hopefully that all goes well and I will get a start date for the new year! :D

which depot mate? Best of luck for it!

Jonty

Well done matey :)

Congratulations

OneLowban

Cheers mate! I was told Colchester by HR but Ilford was also mentioned in the interview. Would prefer Colchester though!
Congratulations!

Seems people are coming through the process now which is a good sign. Hopefully more people on here start hearing back too now.

Jimbo66

Well done! All the best with the job matey.

Hoping I'll hear from GA soon then. I'm awaiting stage 2 assessments after passing stage 1 last year but sadly falling at the MMI (wrong way round I know).

leezer3

Passed the morning of stage 1 (3 of 7 didn't!), now anxiously awaiting the results of the afternoon session, which they tell me might be tomorrow or monday.

At least hopeful here, although the two tone counting was nasty......

Twotwo

Passed the morning of stage 1 (3 of 7 didn't!), now anxiously awaiting the results of the afternoon session, which they tell me might be tomorrow or monday.

Part 1 was brutal, trying to distinguish the difference between the low and the high tones. I found part 3 quite easy as it was counting all the tones. Best of luck :)

Jimbo66

Fingers crossed for you mate! I’m surprised they’re not telling you the results straight away, they did when I did it last year. Those tone tests are tricky, probably the worst bit of the stage 1 assessments.

Did they give you any idea when stage 2 might be?

leezer3

29th (or thereabouts IIRC) for Part 2.

I concur the other two parts of the tone test were OK, but not counting any chickens here!
Especially as 2 of our morning failures were railway peeps, so anyone can fail at anything......

Trainee101

I was there yesterday for depot driver assement. Same tests as you lot. 5 of us started and only 2 made it to the afternoon. I was told I should hear back today my results but not heard anything. Was thinking they would group us with you lot for stage 2

Jimbo66

29th (or thereabouts IIRC) for Part 2.

I concur the other two parts of the tone test were OK, but not counting any chickens here!
Especially as 2 of our morning failures were railway peeps, so anyone can fail at anything......

That’s true, anyone can fail at anything. I remember a GA conductor being part of our group when we undertook the stage 1 assessments having failed in the past and he’d worked with GA for some time and had a wealth of knowledge. I heard a rumour that if you work for the TOC, you have unlimited chances at the assessments? Can anyone confirm this?

I hope to join you at the stage 2 assessments too.

Timpg

That’s true, anyone can fail at anything. I remember a GA conductor being part of our group when we undertook the stage 1 assessments having failed in the past and he’d worked with GA for some time and had a wealth of knowledge. I heard a rumour that if you work for the TOC, you have unlimited chances at the assessments? Can anyone confirm this?

I hope to join you at the stage 2 assessments too.

no unfortunately the two strike rule applies to everyone. The only assessment you can do multiple times ( with 6mnth gap between attempts ), is the initial sifting assessments that TOC’s or FOC’s get you to do upon applying for their driver positions. Pass these application stage assessments, then you go on to the OPC psychometric tests ( two attempts only ).

Jimbo66

no unfortunately the two strike rule applies to everyone. The only assessment you can do multiple times ( with 6mnth gap between attempts ), is the initial sifting assessments that TOC’s or FOC’s get you to do upon applying for their driver positions. Pass these application stage assessments, then you go on to the OPC psychometric tests ( two attempts only ).

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn’t think that was the case.

What about the DMI? I’ve also heard that the attempts for this are unlimited as they don’t count as part of the assessments. I can understand that to be honest.

OneLowban

What about the DMI? I’ve also heard that the attempts for this are unlimited as they don’t count as part of the assessments. I can understand that to be honest.
That is correct however if you fail a DMI with a certain TOC you will have to wait 6 months to have a DMI with the same TOC.

Jimbo66

That is correct however if you fail a DMI with a certain TOC you will have to wait 6 months to have a DMI with the same TOC.

Thank you.

I’m feeling nervous for the MMI which is where I failed last time. The “Describe and Emergency situation you’ve been in” topic is what caught me out. Hadn’t really been such a situation, however that is no longer after I came across a car accident not so long after being unsuccessful for this position. I feel I’m as prepared as I can be this time so fingers crossed! :o

baz962

Established Member

Although the dmi is not part of the assessment and could in theory be unlimited , I have heard several times that most toc's would probably only interview you twice for the same position.

Trainee101

Heard today I have passed stage 1 for depot driver. Stage 2 scheduled for 28th November. Anyone else heard back for trainee mainline?

Jimbo66

Heard today I have passed stage 1 for depot driver. Stage 2 scheduled for 28th November. Anyone else heard back for trainee mainline?

Heard nothing yet with regards to stage 2 assessments. Says my application is still under consideration on my careers profile. Last contact I had was asking whether I’d completed any of the psychometric tests previously.

Trainee101

Hopefully you'll hear soon then. If I was to fail at stage 2 then, does that mean I won't have to do stage 1 again and can skip straight to stage 2 in 6 months?
Btw the guys who failed in the morning with us on stage 1 were asked to email back in around 5 months to take the tests again.

Jimbo66

Hopefully you'll hear soon then. If I was to fail at stage 2 then, does that mean I won't have to do stage 1 again and can skip straight to stage 2 in 6 months?
Btw the guys who failed in the morning with us on stage 1 were asked to email back in around 5 months to take the tests again.

Yes you’re absolutely right. I believe that so long as you re-take your stage 2 assessments within 5 years of passing stage 1, you won’t have to re-sit them. I’m pretty sure it’s 5 years, if I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me.

I also re-applied 5 months later. I was told it would be a 6 month cooling off periods but it was close to 6 months and I’m pretty sure GA only advertise this role once a year at the same time. I didn’t see the harm in applying a few weeks early.

All the best with your stage 2 assessments though! Hopefully I’ll join you.

Mekiz79

Anyone know the approx time between passing medical and getting a start date, also what's the process inbetween, I take it they do references, uniform etc? Got my medical 6th Dec so fingers crossed that's all ok, I'm keen to know if I'll be starting sometime in the early part of 2020

Teddyward

Anyone know the approx time between passing medical and getting a start date, also what's the process inbetween, I take it they do references, uniform etc? Got my medical 6th Dec so fingers crossed that's all ok, I'm keen to know if I'll be starting sometime in the early part of 2020
I started 6 weeks after my medical. Your uniform order will be done online on your on boarding login. What role / depot did you get in the end.

Mekiz79

I started 6 weeks after my medical. Your uniform order will be done online on your on boarding login. What role / depot did you get in the end.

Cheers mate, I was told colchester as trainee driver.

I was told there is a course starting feb for colchester so hopefully that will be the one I'm on (fingers crossed)

Status
Not open for further replies.