Greater Manchester CountyCard - Valid to New Mills?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Ianno87, 14 Feb 2020.

1. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

I seem to recall previously that Greater Manchester County Card (Train and Bus) season tickets were valid outside the usual Greater Manchester boundary as far as New Mills Central and New Mills Newtown.

However, I can't find any evidence of this now - the TfGM website only says "Greater Manchester" and the National Rail Enquiries page for the ticket no longer exists.

What I can find is the Rail Network Map at https://tfgm.com/public-transport/train/ticket-area-map which shows a box around New Mills saying that Traincards (Train only) are valid, but no mention of CountyCards.

So can anyone confirm whether or not CountyCards are still valid to New Mills, please?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. tom1649

tom1649 Member

4. Ianno87

5. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

Still there for the benefit of the three stations over the boundary:
    https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr93c0eaeb9d4653b48ac9b0307154fb.aspx

6. Ianno87

7. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

I'm pretty sure the CountyCard isn't valid via train to New Mills, but it is definitely valid via bus.

EDIT: This screenshot from the TfGM website seems to corroborate that, and the slightly extended validity of the Traincard:

Screenshot_20200215-052657_Chrome.jpg

8. tom1649

tom1649 Member

So you can buy your CountyCard at New Mills Central, Newtown or Disley station ticket offices, but then have to leave the station and catch the bus?

9. Ianno87

Though the current bus boundary map (https://tfgm.com/public-transport/maps/greater-manchester-bus-boundary-map) excludes New Mills. It also excludes Glossop which most definitely used to be in the GM bus area (possibly also Poynton too I think on buses only?)

So either the TfGM maps are wrong, or validity has been reduced on the quiet.

10. Trackman

Trackman Member

11. Llandudno

Llandudno Member

I have emailed TfGM before re. Wayfarer availability, took about 5 days to respond and confirmed that I could travel on direct (was Virgin at the time) trains between Wigan NW and Warrington BQ, although I don’t think this is correct!

So I wouldn’t bank on getting the correct answer!

12. Ianno87

I did go a combined tweet to Northern, TfGM and System One a few days ago - not one responded!

13. tom1649

tom1649 Member

In an ideal world, If I lived in New Mills I'd go and ask the ticket office clerk at either station.

14. Mathew S

Mathew S Established Member

Email TfGM customer services through the form at https://tfgm.com/contact-form.
    They're not quick to reply, but you should get a response eventually. If you can't wait that long, the ticket office at Piccadilly are usually pretty good with questions like this one, in my experience.

(A note on these tickets: I don't use a County Card, but instead have a Traincard and buy separate bus tickets. This is because Northern refuse to pay Delay Repay on County Cards, but will pay up on Traincards, and the Delay Repay I claim from Northern is worth far, car more than the cost of bus tickets.)

15. scrapy

scrapy Established Member

The Countycard does without doubt include travel by train to Disley and both New Mills stations. I'm not sure whether it's valid on the bus but certainly used to be valid to Glossop, Hayfield and New Mills by bus.

Poynton, Handforth, Wilmslow used be part of the System One area for bus travel only but OAP concessionary fares (before national free travel) weren't available to them.

Edit: according to the current system one map these areas are still covered by the bus map (except for under 16 products which are only valid within Greater Manchester)

Last edited: 16 Feb 2020 at 20:08
  16. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

The map here (https://systemonetravel.co.uk/journey-planner) makes clear that various places outside the county, including Edenfield, Bacup, Hadfield, Glossop, Whitfield, Hayfield, New Mills, Middlewood, Poynton, Wilmslow, Lymm, Glazebrook and Belmont are included by the adult bus products.

The bus boundary map shows the actual county boundaries.

Attached Files: