• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Green Desiros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
http://*******.com/y9hfqw

Rail operator One has installed a "green" upgrade on some of its trains in the region.

The move sees the introduction of more energy efficient "regenerative braking" on its fleet of Class 360 Desiro electric-multiple unit trains.

The "green" initiative allows these trains to generate electricity while slowing down, by converting the energy created as the train brakes back into electricity - which is then passed back into the energy supply system to provide electricity for these trains or others using the network to utilise.

The environmental benefit is a reduction in the amount of electricity used. Estimates suggest it could result in a reduction of as much as 16pc in electricity use from the operation of the Class 360 fleet.

While the 21 Class 360 Desiro four-carriage electric-multiple unit trains were originally designed to use the "regenerative braking" facility, the infrastructure in the region was initially not fully compatible with its operation. Recent upgrades completed by Network Rail have now enabled One to make use of this feature.

So far, nine of the Class 360 fleet, which operate on services from London Liverpool Street to destinations including Braintree, Chelmsford, Clacton, Colchester, Ipswich and Harwich, have been switched to regenerative braking, with the remainder of the fleet due to switch by the end of January 2007.

Managing director Dominic Booth said: "Customers rightly expect us to ensure rail travel is as "green" as possible. The introduction of regenerative braking on our Class 360 fleet of trains is a major step-forward in reducing energy levels to provide a far-more efficient and environmentally-friendly method of powering this type of train."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
About time regenerative braking was used to it's full potnetial. Next step - weight reduction?

kestrel

We've been using ours on regen' since new, also our 332's always use regen brakes, seems we lead and everyone else follows :razz:

Jordy

Established Member
I had bad visions of 360s in BR Green when I saw this thread title, yuk!

Jordy

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I had a vision of a Herefordshire Council-green 450 approaching Clapham Junction from Waterloo in my head then...

metrocammel

1952 vintage (infact, the first one, "Tommy" was from about 1945) EM1's & EM2's also had this system on the strenuous "Woohead Route", and provided a much needed boost to the 1500v dc system for trains that were going in the opposite direction (76+mgr's+76banker) which weighed a hell of a lot, and took a fair bit of juice....

I remember when Branson was raving about his new Pendo's with this "new energy efficient braking system", but he failed to mention trains 50 years previous had been using a similar system ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.